• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

Hmmmm... I have to admit that I've tried MANY things, but not this one, yet.
... That is profoundly funny @_Maq_ ... Its a long the lines of I keep changing things, but my tanks never gets to be stable... ;) .. I suspect we’ve all been guilty of that at one time or another. As time has gone by the more I realize that stability is the only true overarching "parameter" that makes the difference between success and failure with a planted tank... I know it's a blanket statement that rest on initial conditions that needs to be right within a meaningful range and maintained. Of course, stability will not commingle with the desire and urge to experiment and thats fine, we all have different priorities and objectives with the hobby.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I have to admit that I've tried MANY things, but not this one, yet.
I would imagine stability is even more important in low tech tanks as plants will be slower to react to changes.

The pantanal puckered up overnight... Not sure what happened there, the leaf ends are curling down and look ugly. The tips are not stunted but just this.
IMG_20230512_211447.jpg

What's that 'Hygrophila' among the Syngonanthus? Is it some kind of 'variegated' cultivar or is it signs of severe deficiency of...

What's that 'Hygrophila' among the Syngonanthus? Is it some kind of 'variegated' cultivar or is it signs of severe deficiency of...
Ludwigia Cuba, it is just a bit sulky since it's converting to submersed

Maybe it just woke up and chose violence on this particular day 🤷‍♀️
Exactly the kind of thing that only this plant gets away with 😂
Perhaps😬 maybe I'll replace it with meta since apparently it does much less of such shenanigans.

Looking great as usual :thumbup:
Are you still doing Masterline-esque and higher GH?
Thanks!
Yep 7:1:7 NO3 and 6 GH works well for majority of plants, but I've noticed pantanal is shedding its old leaves and growing quite small, so I'll be going up to half EI levels. 12:4:12

but I've noticed pantanal is shedding its old leaves and growing quite small
Thats interesting, why do you think that is? 🤔
I may well be mistaken, but since it was not doing this when you were dosing super lean, does this mean that the change in plant condition is perhaps because of the balance between current nutrients, and not the total amounts of each individual one?
Otherwise I might expect, lets say: more nitrogen = larger faster growth.
But in this case there is a narrowing of the head and decay of old growth instead.

More =//= better, if not applied evenly?
.. i better scoot before the police arrive :twisted::lol:

I may well be mistaken, but since it was not doing this when you were dosing super lean, does this mean that the change in plant condition is perhaps because of the balance between current nutrients, and not the total amounts of each individual one?
But in this case there is a narrowing of the head and decay of old growth instead.

Yah I agree, but I'm just trying closer to masterline/ EI system with high tech because I want to try all systems, I will try my best within this framework to achieve the goals I want.

Yah I agree, but I'm just trying closer to masterline/ EI system with high tech because I want to try all systems, I will try my best within this framework to achieve the goals I want.
My opinion is this has nothing to do (at least to a large degree) with more vs less or less vs more fertilizer but rather a CO2 problem or due to frequent uprooting. I have grown Pantanal in both EI, mid and now in my amano shrimp tank and they grow fine with large tops as long as they are given enough time to root. And this is the problem with pantanal since it grows so fast, many times it doesn't have the time to grow a proper root system.

My opinion is this has nothing to do (at least to a large degree) with more vs less or less vs more fertilizer but rather a CO2 problem or due to frequent uprooting. I have grown Pantanal in both EI, mid and now in my amano shrimp tank and they grow fine with large tops as long as they are given enough time to root. And this is the problem with pantanal since it grows so fast, many times it doesn't have the time to grow a proper root system.
If co2 was a problem my quin would be half dead haha. They always let me know. Could be the uprooting tho. I'll be dosing more in the collumn so they get more nutrients.

If co2 was a problem my quin would be half dead haha. They always let me know. Could be the uprooting tho. I'll be dosing more in the collumn so they get more nutrients.
Well that could also be a CO2 distribution issue but I think that the uprooting is the primary reason here. I have to uproot them weekly as they reach the water line. In principal if your soil is new then the head shrinking thing is normally less noticeable. I normally notice this once the soil gets exhausted or if there is a drastic change in fertilizer and this is usually accompanied by side shooting, but that transformation usually happens once, then the plant behaves in a predictable manner.

Well that could also be a CO2 distribution issue but I think that the uprooting is the primary reason here. I have to uproot them weekly as they reach the water line. In principal if your soil is new then the head shrinking thing is normally less noticeable. I normally notice this once the soil gets exhausted or if there is a drastic change in fertilizer and this is usually accompanied by side shooting, but that transformation usually happens once, then the plant behaves in a predictable manner.
I think it was ferts, one day in and the pantanal opened up
IMG_20230527_221740.jpg

I think it was ferts, one day in and the pantanal opened up
I'll be blunt and say it. Niet. 🤣 (joking).
The tops of your L. Pantanal are smaller than what they should be. What you are seeing is them being closed. This happens when they go to sleep. Is it possible you took the first picture early in the morning just after lights on or late before lights off, while the second picture a few hours into the photoperiod?

First picture​
Second picture​
Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 07.36.02.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 07.35.30.jpg

Let me show you how big the tops can be. They can actually getter bigger if unrooted for longer times.
IMG_8400.jpg

I just turned on the lights of the tank to show how closed they are. Lights will normally turn on in 2 hours from now. This is progressive and they will still not be fully opene even when light starts but they know the juice (light) is coming for them.
IMG_0534.jpg

And sorry don't mean to load your journal. Just trying to illustrate what I say.

Last edited:
The tops of your L. Pantanal are smaller than what they should be.
Yes hundred percent they'll grow massive 3-4 inches wide.

This happens when they go to sleep. Is it possible you took the fist picture early in he morning just after lights on or late before lights off, while the second picture a few hours into the photoperiod?
Both were about 7 hours into photo period.

What you are seeing is them being closed.
That could be playing a role for sure but I noticed a significant boost in growth and colour. Also the tips had some thicker leaves that grew thinner today.
I just turned on the lights of the tank to show how closed they are. Lights will normally turn on in 2 hours from now. This is progressive and they are still not fully opened even when light starts but they know the juice (light) is coming for them
Yes my plants do the same. Nyctinasty, in plants that display it is a great sign
And sorry don't mean to load your journal. Just trying to illustrate what I say.
No worries I love more photos and insight.time will tell but I think the richer dosing will help

That could be playing a role for sure but I noticed a significant boost in growth and colour. Also the tips had some thicker leaves that grew thinner today.
You were not fertilising for some time? I am not sure if I understood this well, but to my understading leave morphology can't change once the leaf is out.
If you had bigger, thicker and wider leaves at the top this usually means the plant was reverting to an emersed form. Were this tops allowed to reach the surface before you trimmed them?

Back