• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

Hacked down and done a water change
The ammannia is really not enjoying EI, I might just remove it for now.
IMG_20230728_220350.jpg

Or you could be one of the first to grow Ammannia with EI? :p
It's just not working for me, I checked closer today and noticed severe necrosis on stems of ammannia and so much tip stunting. Even easier plants like rotala wallichi and rotala macrandra are stunted now. It's definitely not co2 because my pH drop is 1.4 and stable...

Last couple weeks I just lost motivation with the tank and didn't really do any water changes or dose anything.

Trying to get the tank back on track. we are now using ammonium nitrate dosing and very lean water.
Current plant list:
Rotala wallichii
Eriocualon breviscapum
Eriocaulon Setaceum
Eriocaulon quinquangulare
Rotala macrandra
Ammannia gold
Tonina fluviatilis
Ludwigia pantanal
Rotala ramosior Florida
Ludwigia senegalensis
Xyris sp red
Ludwigia pantanal
Syngonanthus caulescens
Centrolepis drummondiana
Rotala HRA
Syngonanthus manuas
Syngonanthus macrocaulon
Cuphea anagalloidea
Staurigyne repens
Bacopa purple sg
IMG_20230826_194055.jpg

Sweet algae. Which rare sp is that? 😁

Farm tanks using EI require lots of works and I can understand your lack of motivation. It can sometimes be a constant battle to make everything look right. Good thing is that unless the plants melted 100% they can always come back to life with proper care. Keep it on!
Sp fluffy😂 hopefully soon to be sp. Dead....

On top of the weekly water changes which I dreaded, I could never get my fickle ammannia to throw any nice leaves. Black pitted stems with necrosis and horribly stunted always. I always kept very high and stable co2 around 1.5pH drop but that didn't help anything, I still saw necrosis and even what looked like deficiency in a lot of species.

On top of the weekly water changes which I dreaded,
Those can get old quick.
, I could never get my fickle ammannia to throw any nice leaves. Black pitted stems with necrosis and horribly stunted always. I always kept very high and stable co2 around 1.5pH drop but that didn't help anything, I still saw necrosis and even what looked like deficiency in a lot of species.
I personally was not able to grow it in my last tank as well. Would continuously stunt and throw side shoots. I didn't insist. Removed it and carried on with life. It's not impossible to grow it in high tech conditions but it probably is much easier to handle it with a water column lean dosing scheme.
Which other plants were misbehaving?

Last edited:
Those can get old quick.

I personally was not able to grow it in my last tank as well. Would continuously stunt and throw side shoots. I didn't insist. Removed it and carried on with life. It's not impossible to grow it in high tech conditions but it probably is much easier to handle it with a water column lean dosing scheme.
Which other plants were misbehaving?
The ammannia since then has thrown some promising looking sideshoots, and it looks like the algae is retreating.
Problems I had with plants was:
Necrosis and stem melting of tonina fluvaitilis, old leaves falling off.
Tip stunting of rotala macrandra.
A plant that loves EI was ludwigia senegalensis, it loves richer dosing.

Here's how the tank looks now.
IMG_20230830_000555.jpg

The tank is looking better now. Still dosing super lean.

Didn't read the rest of your journal except that I noted your woes in relation to the Ammannia pedicellata. It is a finnicky plant isn't it... Mine hasn't completely stunted and died. I do get the occasional wonky crooked leaf but thankfully has been mostly trouble free for me. Mine tend to grow weird when I let them get too tall so I try to keep them shorter. Thankfully they don't grow very quickly so they don't need to be uprooted too frequently.

The new shoots on yours look very good though, I am glad they are recovering well because it is beautiful. Rotala macrandra looks very happy too. I reckon that plants from the lythraceae don't like heavy water column fertilisation.

Think you did a tremendous job on the Bacopoa as well. I am very sure I have the same variant as you but I just cannot get their stems to turn purple. They were an intense purple colour when I first got them.

Didn't read the rest of your journal except that I noted your woes in relation to the Ammannia pedicellata. It is a finnicky plant isn't it... Mine hasn't completely stunted and died. I do get the occasional wonky crooked leaf but thankfully has been mostly trouble free for me. Mine tend to grow weird when I let them get too tall so I try to keep them shorter. Thankfully they don't grow very quickly so they don't need to be uprooted too frequently
Truth be told, ammannia is not that difficult if the water collum is lean
Screenshot_2023-09-19-18-29-04-897_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Here's an old pic
I reckon that plants from the lythraceae don't like heavy water column fertilisation.
I reckon you'd be right.
Think you did a tremendous job on the Bacopoa as well. I am very sure I have the same variant as you but I just cannot get their stems to turn purple. They were an intense purple colour when I first got them
The bacopa is a fuss free plant, just throw more light at it.
looking good, but the A. Pedicatella is going to need more space soon, its a big plant
It'll grow slowly it'll be fine aha.
What is your current micro and macro dosing routine?
1N (nh4no3)
0.3 Po4
0.7 K
0.03 Fe
Weekly

Tank calcium and magnesium at 10:4 ppm
Tds at 55

Truth be told, ammannia is not that difficult if the water collum is lean
My experience is different. All my tanks are lean, at least as lean as your numbers. Still, A. p. Gold is a problem. (Of course, I do not inject CO2.)

Back