• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

I'd be you I would also thin out the E. Quin and only plant single plants. They will look nicer, healthier and also more homogeneous.
Alright will do,

IMG_20230401_225724.jpg
IMG_20230401_225827.jpg

Doing my maintenance like a good aquarist😂
Some plants are liking the masterline dosing... Much stricter maintenance regime implemented...Growing well;
Bucephalandras
Tonina
Syngonanthus
Centrolepis drummondiana
Rotala hra
Bacopa colorata

Doing Ok:
Rotala wallichii
Ammannia pedicellata
Cuphea
Pantanal
Eriocualon quinquangulare

Doing bad
Rotala macrandra
Rotala indica

IMG_20230406_171415.jpg

Plants stunting... Algae getting worse.
Macrandra, wallichii, ammannia, pantanal all getting worse. Before anyone says co2... I have a stable 1.1~1.2pH drop.

Still running masterline golden clone. Hmn, wondering next steps. Still keeping tank super clean with UV+ Weekly WC+ substrate cleaning

View attachment 203666
Plants stunting... Algae getting worse.
Macrandra, wallichii, ammannia, pantanal all getting worse. Before anyone says co2... I have a stable 1.1~1.2pH drop.

Still running masterline golden clone. Hmn, wondering next steps. Still keeping tank super clean with UV+ Weekly WC+ substrate cleaning
IMO this has to do more with the rearrangement and the complete change of fert regime. I always experîence this when sudden changes occur. Plants need to readapt to new conditions.

IMO this has to do more with the rearrangement and the complete change of fert regime. I always experîence this when sudden changes occur. Plants need to readapt to new conditions.
Perhaps, but I haven't seen these issues in a while. the blood vomits are doing great tho thanks to your advice! Anyways I'll prolly stick to this dosing for another month or so to see how it ends up. Would decreasing lights a bit help perhaps?

Would decreasing lights a bit help perhaps?
Unless they are very high and algae on plants are unmanageable I wouldn’t at this point. It will just make the process longer. I would wait it out a few weeks as is and re-assess then. When you start seeing healthy shoots I would uproot and replant those healty ones.
You are in a better position to know though.
My concern are the E. quin. They seem to be shaddowed quite a bit. They can stand some shaddowing but up to a point.

I think so too - especially if you are using inert substrate - then it really is a 'complete change'
whereas aquasoil users can rely on the aquasoil to provide a measure of stability even while the water column dosing is changed. However, the stunting that doesn't that noticeable.

When A.Pedicatella stunts for me, it basically stops growing from the main stem and instead sprouts sideshoots that can be replanted if I'm lucky (I guess the sideshoots are adapted to the new conditions)

whereas aquasoil users can rely on the aquasoil to provide a measure of stability even while the water column dosing is changed. However, the stunting that doesn't that noticeable.
Yes but even in aquasoil a sudden significant drop or increase in N in the water column will immediatly translate in a plant reaction. I’ve been there so many times. That’s why I try to change things progressively so the raction is not as brutal.

Some plants not looking to great but I think the tank is on the mend, lots of sideshoots look promising😍
Loving the blood vomits
IMG_20230411_214600.jpg

The tank will need a trim by the weekend for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_214600.jpg
    IMG_20230411_214600.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 94
Algae increasing.. mmmn

Attachments

• IMG_20230415_235737.jpg
    IMG_20230415_235737.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20230415_235746.jpg
    IMG_20230415_235746.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 92
New beginnings...
Let's see what happens!

That's quite a hair cut right there Noob :) .... are you changing anything in terms of water parameters, fertilizer, CO2 that would make you expect a different result?

Personally, I still think you should try and cut the gas - or progressively dial it down to find the bare minimum you need to inject to maintain the stunning look of the plants. I really think your superb skills would make it work... it may take some time, and if it fails you can always go back to "cheating" :lol:

Just a reminder: Practical application of lean fertilizer dosing

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
That's quite a hair cut right there Noob :) .... are you changing anything in terms of water parameters, fertilizer, CO2 that would make you expect a different result?
Soil, look a bit closer😉
Personally, I still think you should try and cut the gas - or progressively dial it down to find the bare minimum you need to inject to maintain the stunning look of the plants. I really think your superb skills would make it work... it may take some time, and if it fails you can always go back to "cheating"
I personally don't think I'm running that much co2. My max drop is 1.1-1.2. I know the stems will do fine, but erio quin are so finicky with co2 so I am scared to touch it lol.

New beginnings...
Let's see what happens!
View attachment 204536
Untill may 1st I didn't dose any fertilisers... Out of sheer laziness, plants didnt grow much at all. This was 4 days post setup

IMG_20230501_175807.jpg

Then I started dosing... Plants exploded. 4 days later:

IMG_20230505_232146.jpg

Just tonight before lights went out
Ammannia stunted, but it kinda does that whenever you change anything. Sooo, not much of a comment on my regime. The algae bloomed after dosing, because o haven't been doing daily WC as I would after introducing soil.

I'm struggling with Ammannias. Do you think it's due change of water parameters (no matter what they are)?
Yes, they certainly like stability. Months and months of stability is what is needed to get them to look good. Sand or soil is not too important, but at the end of the day, soil always grows nicer specimens.
IMG_20230308_222033.jpg

Back