• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scape corner

Both tanks are looking sharp and love the use of graded gravels. Trimmed plants should bush up lovely with replanting the tips too :thumbup:
Cool couple of tanks and I love that shrimp shot :snaphappy::cool:
Cheerio,

I just love this tank I've done 2 hrs maintenance on it in the last fout weeks and it still looks like this the maintenance consisted of trimming the Bolbitis at the back as the leaves where getting old ond very thick so thinned the rizhoms out untangle and took a few leaves off that had a little alge on them and gave the sand a quick syphon and 50% water change ther than that nothing I think it has to do with there being no soil and the 2 JBL 1501 filters running give good circulation and flow ferts are keep pretty low as there all slow growing plants apart from the tripartita that just seems to like to tangle it's way across and through the Anubias and bucephalandra the shrimp population is crazy in there but there always busy little fellows Cory's always seem.so happy been reading a lot about leaves and wood for them.to snuffle through but they have a cave and seem to enjoy swimming through and they regularly swim to the top splash and swim back down they seem to pair and dance around together the tank is now 5 months old and probably my fav out of my three tanks
20200422_073107.jpg
20200422_073056.jpg
20200422_071712.jpg
20200422_073724.jpg

To
You ever thought about sticking geos in there to clean through the sand? Or do the corys do a good enough job?
The Cory's do a pretty good job but the filters keep it clean aswell its proper over filtered 140ltr tank with a theatrical 3000ltr ph filters on it

So the 45 is becoming increasingly harder to get right going to reduce the light and clean today it's been 12 days since last maintained so not to long really but it has become a mess do let's see what we can do to sort it out not about to give up on it just yetATTACH=full]133889[/ATTACH]
20200424_090545.jpg

Attachments

• 20200412_091336.jpg
    20200412_091336.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
So the 45 is becoming increasingly harder to get right going to reduce the light and clean today it's been 12 days since last maintained so not to long really but it has become a mess do let's see what we can do to sort it out not about to give up on it just yet any advice welcome from this to thisView attachment 133889 View attachment 133890
Hi Jay, it's so frustrating sometimes I know, what problems are you still getting , I can see a lot of green spot algae on the glass but what other algae ?

Looks like getting good growth on the rotala, what's current light intensity and co2 bps and frets you dosing?

Don't give up mate

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Looks like getting good growth on the rotala
They are growing like mad.

For me that is actually part of the problem with stems (in fact all <"turned up to eleven plants">), they need a lot of maintenance. Over time I went to using floating plants, (including Indian Fern (Ceratopteris spp.) and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)) as my "stems", because thinning them out was non-problematic.

I replaced the stems I had (mainly with Cryptocoryne spp.) and used a lot more moss, ferns and Anubias, and I started putting really chunky pre-filter sponges on the filter intakes.

The advantage of this was that it didn't really matter if I couldn't maintain the tanks for extended time periods. The plants could survive on very restricted rations, they didn't grow very fast and the filter wouldn't get clogged. It wasn't very exciting, but it served its purpose.

I think of it a bit like planting a hedge in the garden. If you plant <"Leylandii" Cypress"> (Cupressus x leylandii), you have a very quick hedge, but then you spend all your time trimming it because, you can't prune it into the hard wood and it grows at the speed of light. It is a "stem".

If you plant Box (Buxus sempervirens), Yew (Taxus baccata) or Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus) then it takes longer to get a hedge, but once they are grown they are nuch more suitable, they are my Ferns, Anubias etc.

cheers Darrel

Just reading back 12days has been to long and the way it is Is my fault been lazy with it lesson learned I know that this little tank is high tech and high maintenance and need to be loved on a weekly basis not the almost 2 weeks it has been
For me that is actually part of the problem with stems (in fact all <"turned up to eleven plants">), they need a lot of maintenance
Totaly agree they do need the maintenance if you choose to put faster growing plants in a small high tech tank they need to be looked after continuously not just as and when you feel like it
And that goes for tha tank as a whole

Hi all,They are growing like mad.

For me that is actually part of the problem with stems (in fact all <"turned up to eleven plants">), they need a lot of maintenance. Over time I went to using floating plants, (including Indian Fern (Ceratopteris spp.) and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)) as my "stems", because thinning them out was non-problematic.

I replaced the stems I had (mainly with Cryptocoryne spp.) and used a lot more moss, ferns and Anubias, and I started putting really chunky pre-filter sponges on the filter intakes.

The advantage of this was that it didn't really matter if I couldn't maintain the tanks for extended time periods. The plants could survive on very restricted rations, they didn't grow very fast and the filter wouldn't get clogged. It wasn't very exciting, but it served its purpose.

I think of it a bit like planting a hedge in the garden. If you plant <"Leylandii" Cypress"> (Cupressus x leylandii), you have a very quick hedge, but then you spend all your time trimming it because, you can't prune it into the hard wood and it grows at the speed of light. It is a "stem".

If you plant Box (Buxus sempervirens), Yew (Taxus baccata) or Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus) then it takes longer to get a hedge, but once they are grown they are nuch more suitable, they are my Ferns, Anubias etc.

cheers Darrel
Great explanation darrel hopefully that helps you a little jay, hopefully you manage to get ontop of it, is it algae etc your not happy with at the moment and poor growth ?

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi @Deano3 there is very little alge mate and the growth is very fast I wasnt happy with the state I had let it get in to just a dirty tank but not anymore lol

Hi @Deano3 there is very little alge mate and the growth is very fast I wasnt happy with the state I had let it get in to just a dirty tank but not anymore lol
Thats good to hear hope your happy as the scape looks great, rotala grows so fast doesnt it.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

@Deano3 yeah it does and in a 45 that's only 30cm.high it's hard to keep control of this time I've not replanted the top going to see how well it will grow out it's always the tops that reach the surface to fast and take all the light away
The Hemianthus micranthemoid also grows like a weed I've trimmed it right back to see if I can get it creep rather than sprout upwards
20200424_182946.jpg
20200424_182835_001.jpg

Looking good mate! Really growing in nicely! :thumbup:
Yeah really happy mate no signs of any alge at all and the Hygrophila Araguaia is starting to colour up nice should start to get some shoots of pinnatifida out above the surface soon too
Its start to take shape getting layers and depth too wrapped some tripartita around the moss on the branches at the back to mingle with the moss

Back