• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Week aqua users

It does help, thanks. It's enough to convince me to give them a go, so I've just order three of their T90 Pro RGB+UV lights to try out.

How much of an influence on the colour rendition does the UV element have? I know technically humans can't see the UV section of the light spectrum, but I wondered if there was some over spill into the visible spectrum when turning those LED's on?
Might have some influence but honestly hard to detect. I've turn it on/off and I can't really see any difference when lights are on. When lights are off UV is obvious. Here is a pic I took the first day I got the light with only UV on. Was just curious to see how it looks. Gave some spooky greenish color to the water. After what I have read, having UV is not really that much important but can be useful to some degree but too much of it and it can technically damage plant tissue as the plant could stop photosynthesising. I guess that would probably be in extreme situations. I am unsure how much UV those LED provide but probably not that much. I have set mine to 20% to be conservative. Never had UV before in the tanks and all grew fine so that's that.

IMG_8123.JPG

Might have some influence but honestly hard to detect. I've turn it on/off and I can't really see any difference when lights are on. When lights are off UV is obvious. Here is a pic I took the first day I got the light with only UV on. Was just curious to see how it looks. Gave some spooky greenish color to the water. After what I have read, having UV is not really that much important but can be useful to some degree but too much of it and it can technically damage plant tissue as the plant could stop photosynthesising. I guess that would probably be in extreme situations. I am unsure how much UV those LED provide but probably not that much. I have set mine to 20% to be conservative. Never had UV before in the tanks and all grew fine so that's that.

View attachment 191505

Thanks. The fact that you can see any colour at all suggests its producing light in the visible spectrum. As you say, I don't think there is any benefit in terms of growing plants, but it's useful to have another colour option alongside the typical RGB.

Thanks. The fact that you can see any colour at all suggests its producing light in the visible spectrum. As you say, I don't think there is any benefit in terms of growing plants, but it's useful to have another colour option alongside the typical RGB.
Yes but what you see above is at 100%. When RGB are on, UV (or better put, purple), basically is washed away. I'll make a test tonight see if we an actually notice any difference by sliding the UV to 100% while light is on.

Yes but what you see above is at 100%. When RGB are on, UV (or better put, purple), basically is washed away. I'll make a test tonight see if we an actually notice any difference by sliding the UV to 100% while light is on.

That will be interesting to see. It does look like your tank shots in post #64 have a slight purple cast to the soil and room walls, though that would be the white balance playing up on the phone/camera (I always find it difficult to get photos of my RGB lit tanks.)

While you are at the testing, what does the 'white' slider do? The A430 Pro doesn't have any white LED's does it?

That will be interesting to see. It does look like your tank shots in post #64 have a slight purple cast to the soil and room walls, though that would be the white balance playing up on the phone/camera (I always find it difficult to get photos of my RGB lit tanks.
The light even at a balanced RGB level (1:1:1) tends to be on the redder side. I don't want to bring the greens too high because green is not as photosynthetically active as blue and red are, so it's basically a waste of electricity but I am forced to else it's too purple. That's why green is at 43%. It was at 36% previously. In fact I'll probably have to increase green even further or reduce both red and blue. The purple is annoying me. Looks too artificial.

While you are at the testing, what does the 'white' slider do? The A430 Pro doesn't have any white LED's does it?
Glad you asked. That W can remain at 0% in fact. It does absolutely nothing and here is Week's Aqua response to that very question I asked them to attest what I am saying:
Some of their answers are beyond me but I'll keep that for a later post:
Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 17.38.11.jpg

Last edited:
The light even at a balanced RGB level (1:1:1) tends to be on the redder side. I don't want to bring the greens too high because green is not as photosynthetically active as blue and red are, so it's basically a waste of electricity but I am forced to else it's too purple. That's why green is at 43%. It was at 36% previously. In fact I'll probably have to increase green even further or reduce both red and blue. The purple is annoying me. Looks too artificial.

Interesting - quite different to Chihiros then. Out of the box their RGB lights are too heavily pumped on green, and not so much on red, I always have to set them to R > B > G (something like R 70% : B: 60% : G 50%) to get more natural colouration.

The slight purple cast reminds of Twinstar lights which often have the same.

Interesting - quite different to Chihiros then. Out of the box their RGB lights are too heavily pumped on green, and not so much on red, I always have to set them to R > B > G (something like R 70% : B: 60% : G 50%) to get more natural colouration.

The slight purple cast reminds of Twinstar lights which often have the same.
Yes my WRGB 1 is nowhere near as red as Week Aqua. In fact I tried matching the colors on the Chihiros WRGB and didn't came close even when bringing greens very low.

After what I have read, having UV is not really that much important but can be useful to some degree but too much of it and it can technically damage plant tissue as the plant could stop photosynthesising. I guess that would probably be in extreme situations.
As you say, I don't think there is any benefit in terms of growing plants, but it's useful to have another colour option alongside the typical RGB.

Allow me to link this very informative video on UV from Dr Bruce Bugbee (a national treasure).
If you're impatient and want to skip some of the preamble then click this link instead to get to the plant part and what it does :geek:

UV has undeniably its roles in plant photosynthesis. But without going into a scientific disscussion, for our purposes in aquarium plants, it is prety much not necessary. I mean we have been growing plants in aquarium for the better part of the last 50 years without UV and plants have been growing good.
I know that in certain crops specially in cannabis growing there has been a lot of disscussion on the matter for many years and a lot of grow lights now incorpprate UV leds. Some reasearch has been done and some studies claim that the use of uv also increase terpenes and thc but many grow light manufacturers only add them because there is demand for it, not necessarely because they think it’s important.

@Wookii
I did the test last night. I slid UV from 0% to 100% and vice versa. I didn't see the slightest change whatsoever. You'd probably need to be a mantis shrimps to see the difference. Those guys can see 12 color channels + they can detect UV + polarised light.

Did you manage to tweak your colours and reduce the purple hue?

Allow me to link this very informative video on UV from Dr Bruce Bugbee (a national treasure).
Hi @Hufsa

Seeing mention of Dr Bruce Bugbee, I am drawn like a moth to a lamp. I like to follow some of the discussions on aquarium lighting as this topic has always been of great interest to me. I want to spend some time with lighting that emulates natural daylight - D65, if I remember rightly.

I'll get there - eventually!

JPC

Perhaps the company should have been called 'WEAK AQUA'?
Well appart from the APP, I can tell you it's far from weak specially compared to Chihiros. It is in my opinion superior, light wise.

Did you manage to tweak your colours and reduce the purple hue?
Yes I was able. By lowering the reds, increasing just a notch the greens and slightly more the blue. This light really enables you to have a wide range of colors. I'm really liking the rendition it can give. My old WRGB looks like garbage now 😂

The T90 Pro you ordered probably have the same LED chips so you will probably have similar results.

Yes I was able.

59454589.jpg

My old WRGB looks like garbage now 😂
Was it the original WRGB with the white LED's or the WRGB II with the RGB only chips?

The T90 Pro you ordered probably have the same LED chips so you will probably have similar results.
I'm hoping so, although the T90 is an LED cob type design, so could be different. Certainly their published spectrum distribution graphs is the same, but that's no guarantee ofcourse.

It happened all right. There is still a very slight purple hue but that's intentional. I don't want it to look too blue or green but it is definitely possible to tweak it to your likings. The phone also makes it look more purple than what it looks like for real.
IMG_8191.JPG

Was it the original WRGB with the white LED's or the WRGB II with the RGB only chips?
The v1. The One and only. The Original. The full monty W-R-G-B
although the T90 is an LED cob type design, so could be different.
The T90 simply packs the chips much tighter in a square fashion but the chips are the same. They are SMD 5054 RGB. That's what both specs say.

Last edited:
although the T90 is an LED cob type design, so could be different.
The T90 simply packs the chips much tighter in a square fashion but the chips are the same. They are SMD 5054 RGB. That's what both specs say.
And here is proof, in case you asked for pictures 🤣
Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 07.47.50.jpg

Got what seems to be some positive feedback. Let’s’see how long this takes:
View attachment 191582

Ahhh, and you gave them a 'heart' icon in response . . . bless 😍 🤣 . . . fingers crossed we get to see an improved version soon then! To be honest the Chihiros was pretty dreadful when it first came out, and although it still has some quirks, its relatively slick now.

EDIT: You should offer yourself up to be a Beta tester!!

Back