• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS Committee feedback

I get why Tim is upset about this, he gave a lot of time to help make ukaps what it is; I have similar sentiment while I was not a content creator as such, I don’t love the poor accounts - I was giving away items and those donations amounted to a non significant sum which hasn’t really been accounted for.

That said I’m over it, it’s great to be able to post on here again and chat fish tanks. I won’t donate anymore and I think that’s fair 👍

go check out my non-journals, and tell me which threads I should read as good stuff is getting buried 😅

Thanks for the comments on this folks. The Committee positions have been filled by the ukaps members that offered to take on a committee role, no more no less. The reality is there was not a abundance of volunteers.
It is of no surprise the members that volunteered are well known to the forum and have a history of positively contributing to it. In the coming weeks the Society constitution should be ratified, which has information on how roles are filled in the future when they become vacant.

Keep scaping.
Thanks, this is good, but the motivation behind changes was the lack of transparency, so I think it is fair to expect from the newly formed committee a complete transparency - that's all. I did not express the interest, have no quarrel with anyone, and do not dispute anyone's appointment, but the fact that you organised yourself behind a closed door, given the circumstances, I find poorly thought through. As shown in this very thread, some people expressed the interest and never heard back. So I would like to push on this, show the community where you considered every member that expressed the interest... I'm not accusing you of handing out appointments to mates, I recognize the members, but it sure looks that way right now to any community member that applied and never heard back from you.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks, this is good, but the motivation behind changes was the lack of transparency, so I think it is fair to expect from the newly formed committee a complete transparency - that's all.
I think the motivation was not having UKAPS fall apart rather than anything approaching complete transparency.

As was previously stated, the committee is made up of those that volunteered.

As the specific members asked, for transparency; Castle offered to 'help' but stated he was very limited in time and had self declared conflict of interest. It is up to Castle if he wants to go into that. I was appreciative of the offer and responded to it.

I have checked my direct messages (of which there were hundreds at that time and my inbox resembled a warzone!)) and as far as i can see MichaelJ volunteered as a mod, not committee, as did more members than needed.
As previously stated in other threads we were grateful to everyone that offered help, really!
I emailed everyone as best i could and believe I spoke directly to all members that offered via DM.

The committee and remaining team/mods then selected the new mods based on length of membership, whether members had any past forum warnings and the knowledge we had of the members that offered. It's not an exact science and if anyone is upset they weren't selected as a mod then please email the committee directly.

I hope folks can just trust that the committee really are working towards making the forum bigger and better, for you the members!
Now im going back to my saturday, its my 10th anniversary with my wife...... she is currently wondering why as i sit here typing!?! 🤣

IMG_5876.png

As mobile typing is a problem for me and grammar slips by, what I meant was “I’d love to help in some capacity, and you should take me up on this as I really don’t offer my time up that freely!”

You must be able to see that I am probably one of the most “logged in” users on here, always a tab open!

The conflict of interest was pretty meh, you should know Dan never considered selling to me, but I offered it as an alternative. I really didn’t want to drop some cash on ukaps, but I was prepared to, for your duckweed index @dw1305 😅 I laid it all out quite openly but as I have said, time and time again a committee if transparent is great.

As for my screenshot Ian messaged saying thanks and he’s swamped (short version)

No drama, I can see why offering to buy ukaps is a conflict of interest, but you didn’t reach out to talk to me about it regardless (reasons why, etc) and I was public about my offer as I felt I had to be.

I also publicly said I’d meet you in Cambridge to chat and keep ukaps online 😫 I tried .

IMG_5878.png

Adding response for transparency.

It’s okay

Can you guys add a delete account button, and with it removal of their posts - it would be a nice feature to have.

Right to be forgotten and all that.

Can you guys add a delete account button, and with it removal of their posts - it would be a nice feature to have.

I don't think that is a good idea. Much of the value of the forum is the historical information. If someone can at the touch of a button remove all of their posts, on a whim, it would cut big sections of the old content if several people did it.

It’s a bit of a minefield tbh, but yes ther should be a process for removal of personal data.

I don’t actually want to delete my account, but I want the option - I’d also like to view all uploaded content 👍

I made a similar suggestion in the constitution thread. That the committee should reflect on how they plan to manage the data.
I’m sure there is a lot of things they need to work through, hopefully someone with good experience in information governance and data management can help them out.

Well, people are not posting sensitive personal data so I do not think there are serious privacy concerns. The nature of an internet forum is that it is a public place, everyone knows this and should not share anything they do not want to be publicly known.

That’s not how the law works for forums in the UK. I think most people are not aware of the laws / regulations. It’s also good to consider best practice as well as legally compliant. This is the reason I suggest the committee spend some time on it. I think they made the right decision getting the financials sorted first. I feel data is now the next most important priority.

Hi all,

@Tim Harrison what is the point of this? There is no evidence of any financial impropriety, there may have been incomplete record keeping, but no evidence of malfeasance.

Let us draw a line under this, for the good of the forum.

cheers Darrel
Sorry Darrel I disagree completely. You're a scientist you must acknowledge that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. And for the record I'm not trying to stir up problems, quite the opposite. The questions I asked are quite ordinary and wholly legitimate.

I'm not going to make a fuss, but it would be greatly appreciated if the @UKAPS Committee could answer them please. They are asked in the spirit of transparency as was promised. I really don't see the problem.

Last edited:
It’s okay

Please read the Privacy Policy in the links at the bottom of the site.

With the changing nature of things it's probably best you direct message the committee if you would like your account deleted Castle, although I really hope that isn't the case. 👍

I'm not going to make a fuss, but it would be greatly appreciated if the @UKAPS Committee could answer them please. They are asked in the spirit of transparency as was promised. I really don't see the prproblem.
There will be responces to all of your questions Tim, the list of tasks is long but we will continue to keep members informed as progress is made.
Hope your well fella 🤚

Please read the Privacy Policy in the links at the bottom of the site.

With the changing nature of things it's probably best you direct message the committee if you would like your account deleted Castle, although I really hope that isn't the case. 👍

Privacy policy does not grant ownership 👍

No drama, I can see why offering to buy ukaps is a conflict of interest, but you didn’t reach out to talk to me about it regardless (reasons why, etc) and I was public about my offer as I felt I had to be.

The $hit was hitting the fan and myself and @castle was asked to contact Dan. Castle did suggest to me via DM he was considering putting up funds to save UKAPS. Dan happen to respond to my DM and not Castles DM. I did DM all the mods and got little to no support from most before/after I spoke with Dan, hence after the chat I posted in public forum the outcome of the chat.

During and after all the Drama me and Castle have been DMing, I truly believe he intentions was/are pure. He like myself just wanted to save the forum for the greater good.

Zeus

Back