• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS Committee feedback

The forum is saved, hallelujah... let's move on.
Agree - I was just supporting a member who was trying very hard to save the forum and was after at least an offer of mod etc, as for conflict of issues, both sides was trying to save forum so I don't see an issue.

I made a similar suggestion in the constitution thread. That the committee should reflect on how they plan to manage the data.
I’m sure there is a lot of things they need to work through, hopefully someone with good experience in information governance and data management can help them out.
I have a degree of expertise in this area and I fully agree that this is an important issue.

I think, however, this needs to be dealt with in a separate terms of use agreement for the forum and not placed in the constitution. This would involve clarification of the jurisdiction under which we operate (EU and UK approaches to data are starting to diverge a the US approach is different to both). This would then need to be actively agreed to by forum members when the forum is under new management (informed consent and all that).

To avoid doubt we can assume that forum has operated under UK jurisdiction.

I would strongly suggest forming the society without reference to the forum as this then makes transfer of assets (tangible and intangible) with indemnities for liabilities much clearer (and easier).

Last edited:
I just wanted to check. This is a forum for like-minded people to talk and collaborate about planted aquariums, right?

I do not want to be shot in the face, but we are getting dangerously close to being more regulated than HSBC, and more like UNISON.

I admit I'm an outsider. I just read this thread and think something has been lost somewhere. And it ain't because someone did not handle the cash properly.

I just wanted to check. This is a forum for like-minded people to talk and collaborate about planted aquariums, right?

I do not want to be shot in the face, but we are getting dangerously close to being more regulated than HSBC, and more like UNISON.

I admit I'm an outsider. I just read this thread and think something has been lost somewhere. And it ain't because someone did not handle the cash properly.
Bradders you are not an , outsider,your are a valued member, as l think all members are valued ,let's be optimistic ,people stepped up in difficult circumstances so let's give them support

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 23.28.41.png

Inner voice: Stop overthinking this... UKAPS is an aquarium forum! Let's not impose undue responsibilities on the volunteers that are running the show now. We are not dealing with Mark Suckerbag here. Having all sorts of terms of agreement is a bees nest. Think of UKAPS as you would be writing a piece for a hobby magazine for free giving your best advice on how to keep plants and fish... thats it! ... if you don't want to participate, just don't! its that simple. If you think your posts are so valuable that they can't be left behind in case you leave the forum, stop posting and go write a book instead! 🙂

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
email address, name and age...some people use real names etc.
Members will likely share full physical address in direct messages when selling equipment.
Potentially even bank account details.
I trust it’s all safe, but it’s worth the committee being well informed and in agreement as they are going to be legally responsible going forward.

Also, I believe following the law in regards to content ownership is sensible because it will protect UKAPS from any crazy members (think situations when people get banned etc…).

Hope this helps explain my reasoning.
It’s not about overvaluing member posts. It’s about looking after the organisation (and the amazing volunteers who are taking on this responsibility).

Last edited:
In defence, if you ban someone and they haven’t granted you the right to content ownership they’re well within their legal rights to challenge.

….

I would also like to know how the new found admins plan to protect our data, as I understand this xenforo stores all private conversations in plain text; that means anyone with db access can read our “private” messages.

😬

Back