• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

On a side note, anyone know what happened to the hole in the ozone layer? Maybe the government could test one out for us.

Or is it...the best political tool in the world is global warming.

Conspiracy theory alert!

I don't think I've heard the words "Global warming" for at least 5 years. It's either been swept under the carpet, because big oil doesn't like it, or it turned out to be a joke (just like TwinStar).

On a side note, anyone know what happened to the hole in the ozone layer?

It's still there, but starting to slowly shrink thanks to international bans on CFCs. Ozone Hole Shrinks to Record Low | LiveScience

I don't think I've heard the words "Global warming" for at least 5 years. It's either been swept under the carpet, because big oil doesn't like it, or it turned out to be a joke (just like TwinStar).

Or as I'm sure you know really, it was mainly just a smaller and somewhat simplistic moniker for climate change. Which is undoubtedly used as a politic tool, but is also undoubtedly happening.

Hi all,
I don't think I've heard the words "Global warming" for at least 5 years. It's either been swept under the carpet, because big oil doesn't like it, or it turned out to be a joke
"Global anthropogenic climate change" is still very much current and happening. Have a look at this PDF <http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~swr01tjw/pubs/win10-winds.pdf>.

The latest models for the UK and N.W. Europe don't look too promising, and global warming may well prove to a combination of cold and wet for us. <Tim Woollings' Homepage>.

I don't think the American participants in the "fracking boom" are going to be too concerned about the global climate, but just in the money they can make now.

The problem is that although 97% of climate scientists are out there looking at the science, a lot of the press is only interested in the 3% who are either sceptical, or undecided. < Scientists Agree Human-Caused Climate Change is Real: But Wait, We’ve Known That for Decades! - The Equation >.

cheers Darrel

On: http://www.grassyaqua.com/repo_ar.html in the last paragraph they mention 'plasma-ion-technology' which is invented by sharp for sterilizing;)

I don't think they would say it uses this technology and than selling a ozone generator. By making false claims they risk some serious charges. Whether or not it will be beneficial to your tank I don't know, but here is a link with a short explanation of plasma-ion-technology. In theory it could work but IMO the effect will be minimal, but I'm open to test it in my tank if someone sponsors it!

I don't think they would say it uses this technology and than selling a ozone generator. By making false claims they risk some serious charges. Whether or not it will be beneficial to your tank I don't know, but here is a link with a short explanation of plasma-ion-technology. In theory it could work but IMO the effect will be minimal, but I'm open to test it in my tank if someone sponsors it!

I don't understand how it would work, there's just no point to it. There are easier ways to oxygenate you tank, the cheapest way is to raise your outlet a little...
I'm not sure how serious charges would be, there's no end of false claims in this game, anyone cycled a filter in 24 hours? I can 100% say no they haven't. However, there's plenty of companies out there that will state you can, with a simple bottle of snake oil.

It's not oxygenating at all! It produces O 2- ions not O2. Basically its oxidating your tank instead of oxygenating. Like adding H2O2 all day long or any other oxidator. Whether or not this will do anything I'm not really sure, ORP is a very controversial thing in the fresh water aquarium world. But IMHO I do believe a tank with a high ORP value is more likely to be healthy than one with a lot of reductors.

I don't understand how it would work, there's just no point to it. There are easier ways to oxygenate you tank, the cheapest way is to raise your outlet a little...
I'm not sure how serious charges would be, there's no end of false claims in this game, anyone cycled a filter in 24 hours? I can 100% say no they haven't. However, there's plenty of companies out there that will state you can, with a simple bottle of snake oil.

I would say that is not everybody in the beginning in a hobby can manage algae problems. Then in fact they just giving up the hobby. And this product helping to minimise the algae bloom. Instead of adding some chemicals to the tank.
Do you know Dave Chow who is a world famous aquarist.
He will sell TWINSTAR in Hong-Kong.
Also The press in Germany and Poland want to interview them for introducing the TWINSTAR in EU.

Anyone will market anything if you pay them enough...

I really can't get my head around how it would work though, we know that ammonia and light cause algae, how does this impact on that? We know that lack of C02 exacerbate algae, how does this impact on that? I can't rationally see how it does?

If someone can explain this, then I'd be very grateful, until then I will reserve my judgement on this.

I would say that is not everybody in the beginning in a hobby can manage algae problems. Then in fact they just giving up the hobby. And this product helping to minimise the algae bloom. Instead of adding some chemicals to the tank.
Do you know Dave Chow who is a world famous aquarist.
He will sell TWINSTAR in Hong-Kong.
Also The press in Germany and Poland want to interview them for introducing the TWINSTAR in EU.

Yes, but Dave Chow wins the Grand prize also without the twinstar;) Don't forget he is a business man, and if it doesn't hurt the tank than why would he not sell another gadget?

Still in theory this gadget is nice, is it neccesary, no, not if you do everything else the right way. May it help your tank, perhaps, cant say till I tried it myself. Based on what I've read so far I can't just call it snake oil. And simple saying it is a ozone generator (something which can very easily be checked by smelling) without having seen one, and although they clearly state it is something else, I find a little unfair!

Anyone will market anything if you pay them enough...

I really can't get my head around how it would work though, we know that ammonia and light cause algae, how does this impact on that? We know that lack of C02 exacerbate algae, how does this impact on that? I can't rationally see how it does?

If someone can explain this, then I'd be very grateful, until then I will reserve my judgement on this.

Simple said: the oxidizers attack all kind of pathogens so this is why they stated it helps your livestock. It think oxidators can do the same thing with algae spores and thus reducing algae. If added enough it can kill algae (think like a whole tank treatment with H2O2) it kills the algae, not the plants and fish at the right concentration. So nothing to do with CO2, NH4 etc... All about redox: How Aquarium Redox Balance, Potential, & Reduction relates to aquatic health

So, it needs to be on for the length of time that the light is on? If so, that's gonna be one misty tank, if your running c02 also. That's also an interesting read, I'm still trying to work out regarding the mg etc etc. are you going to have to constantly dose ferts if its breaking them down?

I still believe it's not needed and a natural balance is best.

Hi all,
Whether or not this will do anything I'm not really sure, ORP is a very controversial thing in the fresh water aquarium world. But IMHO I do believe a tank with a high ORP value is more likely to be healthy than one with a lot of reductors.
It is like all these questions, there isn't a black and white answer, it is all shades of grey. Any tank with a substrate is going to have regions with reducing conditions and negative (ORP)REDOX values, this isn't bad or dangerous, it is an entirely natural situation, and without it a lot of nutrients would be both oxidised and unavailable.

10 years ago Reefers were all madly measuring REDOX values, now they all have deep sand beds. 20 years ago a lot of Rift lake Cichlid keepers were using hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to remove all traces of tannins etc from their tanks, I doubt many are now. UV is in vogue at the moment, but again I'm not convinced that it offers any advantages.

If you keep fish from highly oxygenated, heavily buffered alkaline water (like Goby Cichlids) you would want lots of oxygen and ORP values in the ~ 300mv range, if you don't I'm not sure it is relevant. I wrote an article for plec keepers that covers some of this area: <plecoplanet: Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium>.

I use a related concept for tank management, maintenance of a low BOD and ensuring that oxygen levels remain high, but I don't worry about humic compounds etc., in fact quite the opposite I actively add them.

If you have plants (and to some extent efficient microbial filtration) you don't need anything else.

cheers Darrel

On the other hand, why would a company create such an expensive device which would not work or be a total snake oil? Its amazing how easy it is to talk and bash it before it was even tested by anyone. I agree it cost a lot otherwise it would be tested already by more people.
Until then its just an empty conversation really :)
Who wants to be a test rabit hehe :twisted:

Hi all,
On the other hand, why would a company create such an expensive device which would not work or be a total snake oil? Its amazing how easy it is to talk and bash it before it was even tested by anyone. I agree it cost a lot otherwise it would be tested already by more people. Until then its just an empty conversation really
The problem is that you can't really test it, or any other similar bit of kit. In any tank the number of variables (factors) is huge, which means that it is almost impossible to quantify the effect of any one factor. I'm sure that most of us could do something particularly ill advised with our tank without causing too many problems, particularly if you have a large plant mass.

Have a look at Tobi's fertiliser thread for an example of the difficulties of trying to quantify what really makes a difference: <For Dan ... Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer | UK Aquatic Plant Society>

cheers Darrel

Reactions: tim
Back