• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

Re: Transparent Tank - reborn

Brilliant. I love your DIY stuff in particular, but will definitely refer to your advice on scaping if I ever brave a rebuild (my wife would go totally crazy if I did that anytime soon - next spring I think). I have used your advice on perspex pipes on my tank. I wasn't able to get the lilly pipe bit to work though - I didn't have enough puff to blow a bubble. I wonder, could you please tell me what the internal and external diameters are for the perspex pipe you use? I'm thinking that maybe the walls of the pipe I have are thicker and that's why I am unable to get the bubble to form. Thanks again. D :D

Skatersav said:
I wasn't able to get the lilly pipe bit to work though - I didn't have enough puff to blow a bubble. I wonder, could you please tell me what the internal and external diameters are for the perspex pipe you use? I'm thinking that maybe the walls of the pipe I have are thicker and that's why I am unable to get the bubble to form.

16/22. The trick is to get it sagging under its own weight but not blistering. I find a bit of water inside and a pipe bending spring ensures an even spread of heat, inside and out.

Re: Gestation for cherry shrimp?

mikeappleby said:
Am pretty pleased with how this is going. Another week until a stauro trim though I think.

2012-05-04%20at%2021-48-29.jpg

You can trim it as soon as the trimmings are long enough to replant. Hack and replant taller ones during weekly maintenance, it'll soon fill in. :thumbup:

Sorry for the hijack :oops: but I know that adding O2 during lights out helps with the plant growth in a co2 injected tank but what's your thought on adding O2 during lights out period in an Excel only tank? It should provide the same benefits right?

Hi Mike :D . If you don't mind me saying,...I think you should consider making an article of that super long post that you made regarding the basics of planted tank keeping in the tutorial sections of the forum. It would really appeal to a newbie. It would most likely be read by a larger number of people too. :) A very simple and useful summary of the basics of planted tanks. I personally loved your explanation on the method of co2 tweaking. Very nicely put IMHO.

thanks - think it's a decision for the ukaps powers that be... i'm just a lowly journal keeping minion.

but glad people have found it useful. is really very strange to finally be in the position of having two tanks that are running nicely with minimal maintenance and healthy everything.

shrimplets

away for a few days. then came back to lots of little shrimp lets (my first) and algae in this tank. did a scrub and a water change (carefully!) and now can't see any. hoping they're hiding rather than dead...

Aha! Have just seen one perking about, which gives me hope.

Am going to turn down the lighting :geek: too after my recent success with much lower light in the 259L tank. So will be running with just one Grobeam LED light (rather than that plus a T5) as am getting the start of algae issues on the hardscape, the stauro is carpeting nicely, the HC seems fine, and there just aren't that many shrimp in there... yet...

Transparent Tank - reborn

Now have more shrimp than I can count, of lots of different sizes. Rather satisfying. They certainly are frisky. Another couple of months and I'll have enough to transfer a wodge over to the big tank in a mass immigration of a hundred or so that I hope will be big enough to stand up to the dwarf puffers and gouramis having the odd snack. Then will keep this lot going to breed ever more. Am aiming for about 400 in the big tank. Might sell some too.

The annoying news is that I got the CO2 too low when I went away for a week which has played havoc with the stauro. Holes everywhere. Will get CO2 right again then do a big trim.

No macro lens is killing my shrimp photos. Can't get a good one!

More pics

Some better pics, now I've had a bit more time.

The daddy shrimp... hoping they all come out this red.

2012-07-27%20at%2020-18-16.jpg

Here's three generations in one shot - gives a sense of the scale of the babies, and these are a couple of weeks old now.

2012-07-27%20at%2020-19-09.jpg

And a full tank shot. Have just trimmed the stauro and put into the big tank, so all looking a bit bare.

2012-07-27%20at%2019-38-15.jpg

Amazon puffers

Moved about 80 shrimp into the big tank, as I figure they're now at self-sustaining levels even with a bit of predation, and it's got enough plant cover for them... Here's how it's looking:

2012-08-22%20at%2021-48-31.jpg

So on to phase two: moved in about 7 ottos and two South American Puffers. LOVE THEM. Here's the approach of death from above on a snail from the garden (they don't seem to have taken to the ramshorns yet):

2012-08-23%20at%2016-25-23.jpg

2012-08-23%20at%2016-24-54.jpg

(Sorry about focus, was a quick shot with no tripod, but it looks kind of eerie)

And here's the video (not for the squeamish), again without a tripod

Back