• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

Re: Transparent Tank - puffers

YAY !!! Go PUFFER !!! Thats awesome. Gotta love em. Inch for Inch they pack a mean punch. Looking great too :)

Nice puffer but what is it with guys and watching things kill things slowly? You need smaller snails! Tadpole snails work out expensive but I've just found someone selling small pond snails by the hundreds(100@£4/200@£8) and they will be much more appropriate. Plus I'm pretty sure garden snails can carry some nasty parasites, or is that slugs?
How big will that guy get?

Cheers

ldcgroomer said:
You need smaller snails! How big will that guy get?

Yup - there are lots of smaller pond and ramshorn ones there, but they're ignoring the smaller ones, so thought I'd try something else, mainly as an experiment. Was a bit grossed out to be honest.

ldcgroomer said:
How big will that guy get?

Pretty much fully grown...

I didn't see my puffers feed for weeks after they arrived but snail shells started littering the bottom so knew they were feeding. Now they are shameless in their pursuit of food and despite being fed twice a day the female occasionally goes for an amano shrimp after ignoring them for the first 7mths. They get their antenna nipped poor things...

The puffers have now slowed up enough to get a good look at them. Am pretty worried about this:

2012-08-26%20at%2021-46-49.jpg

Those teeth look pretty long to me - no wonder he / she isn't eating snails... Have ordered some clove oil and the right kind of cuticle clippers.

Am I right it's long past dentist visit time? Should I be scared? Surgery on fish isn't quite what I'd hoped this early....

Replanting

Bit concerned that the puffers are following their reflections along the glass too much, so have planted up a bit more heavily. What was going to be a mainly stauro tank is now Myriophyllum mattogrossense (which grows like a weed - I absolutely love it) on the far right, with Rotala roundifolia in the middle and then HC and stauro towards the left end. That should give it quite a bit more cover. Also much prefer it.

Here's the side that doesn't have horrendous photography impairing reflections in the day.

2012-08-27%20at%2015-22-00.jpg

In a couple of weeks will be thick with plants I hope. The rotala and myriophyllum are going for it in my other tank, so have loads of cuttings.

Did a proper substrate vacuum in this tank for the first time in months, as the shrimp are now out. Was horrendous the amount of crud: think might explain why the stauro has never really taken off in this tank compared to the big one. Will be interesting to see if that makes a big difference - I remember it did quite a lot earlier in this journal.

Wow, rather you than me being fish dentist. It does look a little long though. Not something you have to worry about with dwarf puffers. More plants should stop them going at the glass so much. They should be in a heavily planted tank and then they will enjoy hunting through the stems like little zeppelins. It is expensive to keep them fed on snails so whoever sold them to you has probably been feeding them bloodworms only.
Good luck!

if i remember puffers right they need the shells of the snails/crus to keep their beak short/worn down a worm only diet is probably the reason its so long. also can't you just file it down with a fine metal file/coarse nail file instead of clipping it ?

Clipping would be quicker and you would have to grip the fish quite tightly to be able to file away at it. Less traumatic for the fish...imo...

When I move house that's the first thing I'm going to do!, smash a wall down for a double viewed tank, looks the business.

meejo said:
When I move house that's the first thing I'm going to do!, smash a wall down for a double viewed tank, looks the business.

Why is it that this comes to mind.... :lol:

Antipofish said:
meejo said:

Why is it that this comes to mind.... :lol:

haha you know it :thumbup:

Looks abit smaller than the 5-6 inches I've read it can grow to, is it a really big bowl? Wouldn't mind one of these myself but at 54ltr mt tank bit on the small side. Has it recovered?

sarahtermite said:
Can we have another picture of a happy, recovered puffer? I don't like to see the poor wee thing floating belly up like that. :(

2012-09-06%20at%2018-25-18.jpg

2012-09-06%20at%2018-25-37.jpg

2012-09-06%20at%2018-25-52.jpg

ldcgroomer said:
Looks abit smaller than the 5-6 inches I've read it can grow to, is it a really big bowl? Wouldn't mind one of these myself but at 54ltr mt tank bit on the small side. Has it recovered?

They only get as big as your thumb, so is pretty much fully grown. This tank is only 70L to be honest. Might be a bit small for them, but they seem happy (especially now it's a bit more heavily planted with stems)

2012-09-06%20at%2018-26-35.jpg

They also got a present today

2012-09-06%20at%2015-55-18.jpg

Apparently they need lots of filtration as they're such messy eaters. So have this Eheim pro 3 alongside my cheap and cheerful All Pond Solutions filter. So that's a 1900 lph nominal turnover in a 70L tank - though it's nowhere near that as the pipes are reduced to 16/12mm from 22/16mm and the pipes go a long way from the filters to the tank (maybe 11 ft?) - would design it better next time, but didn't realise external filters even existed when the tank was put in!

Have also come up with a clever way of injecting CO2 into the inlet for the filter: this just goes on the pipe just before the filter intake.

2012-08-26%20at%2020-05-00.jpg

That removes any need for an inline diffuser, which I find get clogged and gradually slow the rate of injection, so the CO2 is absolutely constant. It just diffuses in the APS filter and crystal clear water with a lime green drop checker is the result.

Back