• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'The Full Monty' Has Left The Building last photos

Do you mean calder valley aquatics?
Its tucked down a side street and is easy to miss. There is a sign showing the turn but it is quite high up.
The fish are very good quality i've never had any problems with fish health from cva and have only seen new arrivals in quarantine

Yes, sorry, what an idiot! It is Calder Valley Aquatics. Chris was very helpful and it will make a change for me to go and see somewhere I haven't been before...

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Darrell,

Always good to have an expert on hand to clear up any misunderstandings;) I based my comments on what I have supposedly learnt over the years and probably mixed up the biological with the mechanical. I understood aerobic to be with oxygen, so for example a wet and dry filter, or any filter with an area exposed to the atmosphere. Anaerobic, without oxygen is a closed system, i.e. an external canister filter or Biological system.

I just thought that the nitrosoma and nitrobacter bacteria did different jobs, and needed different environments to do it in.

Either way lets not continue this topic in this thread, I am sure it is available somewhere else in another forum.

But thanks for clearing things up.

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
photostream
15223951098_f492e7560c_k.jpg

I think this is it...

Attachments

• 15223951098_f492e7560c_k.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 15223951098_f492e7560c_k.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi, Looking good:rolleyes: The plants are settling in and looking healthy too:thumbup:

Hi thanks,

I did start getting some signs of brown algae on the mini hair grass stems and some deterioration in the Monte Carlos...so I have had to reduce the lighting period and the use of 4 tubes down to 2. I am just using the Guisemann Aqua Flora Tubes at the moment.
The other two Eheim Daylight tubes seem to be too bright or too strong...

15227747499_ed8e3313a1_k.jpg

15391420516_ccb15e6bc6_k.jpg

15411370671_7964183682_k.jpg

15387033376_8c26ca42ef_k.jpg

15227666049_92884eb821_k.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning!
I'm loving the way the hill is growing in.Them tetras really give a true idea of the scale of the thing . It's huge!

Last edited:
Stunning!
I'm loving the way the hill is growing in.Them tetras really give a true idea of the scale of the thing . It's huge!

Hi Wick,

You are absolutely spot on there mate, I hadn't realised it myself until the fish went in. In a few weeks time I will be ready to put the Diamond Blue Discus in:)

If you have a ceiling mounted pendant you can raise it up and use all your tubes. Plants look healthy and lush at the moment. Good job.

Thanks EdwinK,

The lighting units for this set up came with the tank and are designed to rest inside under the Smoked glass sliding trays so it is all nice and contained.

Also I found out today that the four original T5 tubes that came with it are just bog standard white T5 Tubes you could get from anywhere. So I have just bought
2 x 54 watt T5 Eheim Freshwater PlantGro tubes from The Abyss Aquatic Warehouse in Stockport. These combined with the 2 x Guisemann Aqua Flora Tubes look absolutely amazing;)

So no more problems:thumbup:...hopefully..

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
Well folks I finally had to bite the bullet and upgrade my photobucket account with an extra 10 gig of bandwidth just to get most if not all my photographs visible in this journal. Any that are missing I will replace now that I have got the extra capacity.

Just could not stand it after all my hard work writing the journal and people not being able to see the funny pictures right at the start on page 1. So now they are back for any newcomers to enjoy...

Thanks all for looking and the kind comments.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi All,

Those of you who are aficionados of the Rummy Nose Tetra club may have spotted from the photographs on page 10 that the Rummy Nose Tetras I bought from Calder Valley Aquatics are not actually the true Rummy Nose Tetras - The Hemigrammus Rhodostomus... they are in fact a mixture of the other two. This was not the fault of Chris I must add, in my enthusiasm to to get hold of these I mistook them for the real ones.

This is probably because they were in such good colour and shape and size that I went ahead and bought twenty of them along with the twenty Diamond Tetras. Also to be fair, Chris showed me the invoice that they came in on and it definitely listed them as the Hemigrammus Rhodostomus. Chris is so good he has even offered to take them back, but the cost of petrol for me to go up there and back again would negate the value of the fish.

Any way to cut a long story short, I have since been out and bought twenty of the genuine ones, so I now have forty Rummy Nose Tetras and twenty Diamond Tetras making sixty fish in total. I would like to offer the first twenty I bought from Calder Valley to anyone on UKAPS for a lot less than I bought them for, say £1.00 per fish , so £20.00 for all of them. They can cost you between £2.99 and £3.99 depending on where you go for them. These are beautiful fish in brilliant condition. They will have to be collected, so if you are local to Chester or Queensferry feel free to PM me if you are interested.

I'll post these in the 'For Sale Section also, and maybe on a well known auction site.

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
Really enjoying this mountainous layout.
Its open yet full of detail.
Great plant health.

Its bloody awesome!

Last edited:
Well folks, I think it might be time for a Full Monty 'system reboot'

It has been a few days since I last posted any updates. First of all I have to say something is not quite right and I can't put my finger on the culprit, but it is one of the usual suspects not necessarily in this order:
  1. Too much light and not enough fertilisers, minerals and/or Co2
  2. Not enough light and too much fertilisers, minerals and or Co2
  3. Not enough flow around the tank to distribute the fertilisers, minerals and Co2
  4. A combination of all three above
The reason I say this is because despite the huge filtration provided by the two Eheim filters, changing all four of the tubes to Aqua Flora and Fresh Plant Gro, injected C02 with two drop checkers on lime green, fertilsers and CSM+ going in on alternate days, and 50% water changes once a week...several forms of algae are starting to present themselves in different places. I have left the lights off for the last two days and switched off the Co2 until I work out what is going on.

I have got a lot of brown algae starting to appear on the blades of the dwarf hair grass, green algae appearing on the rocks and some of the hornwood, stag horn algae appearing on the Altananthera Reineckii mini, holes appearing in the leaves on my staurgyrene, and leaves falling off the large leaf plant to the right of the tank.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/img/freshwater_algae_13.jpg

On top of this it seems that almost overnight at least 10 of my Amano shrimp have completely vanished without trace, no dead ones found, no carcasses, no exoskeletons nothing, vanished, disappeared..its a mystery:confused:

The fish are all doing fine and feeding well, I have not lost a single one since I put them in, but something is not right with the water parameters. I know Clive will do his nut,:banghead: but I have tested for everything, Nitrite - zero, Ammonia - zero, PH 7.0 temperature 28 degrees, the only thing that is high is the Nitrate which is down to the dry fertilsers. One thing that might be part on the problem is that the GH is zero and the KH is only 1 or two at best. I have tried buffering it with liquid calcium and Sera Mineral salts but so far no change.

So system reboot, I think, stop everything, one quarter water changes every day until everything is removed from the water column and then start adding things back one at a time starting with Co2. I have already added a T-Bar to the outlet on the filter with the C02 going in to the tank so that the Co2 enriched water is going to both ends of the tank.

In the meantime if any one can identify any glaring mistakes in my regime, or has any brilliant inspirational ideas on what might be the cause of these algae outbreaks, I will be only too pleased to hear them.

Updates to follow.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve, as usual, your glaring mistake is that you are using too much light, so this is probably a diatomic bloom.
I don't know why people are always in denial about their lighting. When you flood plants they choke, when you bombard them with megawatts they melt or get algae. So you threw good money after bad and prayed at the Temple of Test Kits, and the results tell you nothing because it's a false God.

Do a proper blackout for 3-4 days, turn down your light intensity, do plenty of water changes and carry on mate.

Cheers,

Back