• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium)

Hi all,
what am I looking for? And what kind of magnification would in need?
You need a compound microscope, these usually have X10 eyepiece and then X4, X10 and X40 objectives (so giving X40, X100, X400 magnification), they may have a X100 as well. You need slides and cover-slips etc.

I'm not sure what you can get in Canada. We use <"Brunel Microscopes"> in the UK, something like their <"SP22"> model would be plenty good enough. A lot of schools etc in the UK are selling off their old stock, so you can often pick up second hand bargains. I haven't used any of the cheaper USB digital microscopes you can get, but they would be OK.

There is a good amateur microscopy site <"Mic-UK">.

cheers Darrel

41941153532_98de02a1c2_b.jpg

Keeps chugging along... massive growth of the maidenhair fern despite regular massive pruning...

28114484398_8b2825c835_b.jpg

The calathea lancifolia is doing great but the calathea Medallion failed... as did the orchid, but not after keeping it's blooms for a long time...

41085810735_4822caeae1_b.jpg

Tank looks amazing (though I can't help but wonder how big your little girl is now relative to the tank ;) )

What's in for livestock?

1 Otociclus affinis
1 Otociclus cocama
1 Ancistrus sp. 'Super red'
5 Brachydanio tinwini
4 or 5 Celestichthys choprai
20+ Celestichthys erythromycin
20+ Celestichthys margaritatus
1 Amano shrimp

Unfortunately the C. choprai have been harassing the other fish and especially the tiger endlers... they chased them up and out so the endlers are no longer with us... I really regret getting the C. choprai... in my opinion they are not a good community fish... and they themselves occasionally jump out as well... I started with 18...

I will continue bolstering the population of C. erythromycin and C. margaritatus... they are much more chill...

The interesting thing about the male tiger endler is that he took to protecting his harem of B. tinwini, always protecting them... I was sad to see him go...

I have choprae as well and relegated them to another tank as they were a really pain. They seemed ok when their numbers were high but as soon as they slipped down to 6 or so, they became real thugs.

I have choprae as well and relegated them to another tank as they were a really pain. They seemed ok when their numbers were high but as soon as they slipped down to 6 or so, they became real thugs.

Yeah, I really don't want to set up another tank to house them... maybe it's time to setup the bottle trap again and move them... it certainly would be more peaceful without them...

I vote for the bottle trap :angelic:
It's a shame you were misled about the C choprai - so much more difficult to remove them from such a tank

(I suppose the (irritating behaviour ;)) clues are there in the Seriously Fish profile, and observing them over time in shop tanks - something shop staff can more easily do ...)

Glad I read your feedback RE the Danio Choprai, I was considering getting some for a shallow tank but read perviously in your thread they started to jump. They are not cheap fish over here and I dont want them to end up on the floor!

I seem to have the same issue as everyone else in regards to the choprae, they like throwing their weight about every now and then. Not the most relaxing fish in a planted tank with their constant chasing back and forth.
Beautiful tank by the way, I'm sure a lot of your fish will breed and increase their numbers in their naturally due to the dense plant growth.

Cheers

Conor

Beautiful tank! I don't know how I missed it as I love emersed growth. I only found it while searching for some Maidenhair Fern experience. I got mine two weeks back so early to tell what it will do for me yet but yours is giving me a lot of hope :)

Your tank is amazing. I'd love to do something like that but I am lazy....:oops:

Your peace lilies and the parlour palm I saw on several pictures haven't grown big most likely because of lack of light out the back. I've actually had just them two species for a few years and if I put mine over your tank, it will pretty much cover it entirely and more. I actually think you don't really need those two species to grow big as you'll run out of room completely and they'll block the light to your front plants plus the submersed growth...So in essence its a good thing...It would have ruined the current view :D

Please update more often

Your peace lilies and the parlour palm I saw on several pictures haven't grown big most likely because of lack of light out the back.

I am using the 'petite' cultivar of peace lily (spathiphyllum)... it doesnt grow very fast or big... i am thinking of getting a normal variety for the back right it fill in the space though...

Last edited:
Back