• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium)

What the heck is this stuff?!

26632122718_6557289430_b.jpg

It grows under the darkest sections of the manzanita... I pulled out a baseball size chunk yesterday... it sticks together like one solid squishy mass like a soft sponge...

I know I've been changing or adding a lot to this tank recently, but I enjoy it while the world outside wastes away in the cold grip of winter...

I decided to scrap the idea of building a temp controller using my stc1000 as the extra parts needed would cost more than buying a prewired Inkbird 308s... this one comes with an extra long stainless temp probe too...

26638165528_679de86fa3_b.jpg

Now my intention was to always add orchids to this display for colour and interest so decided to go out on a limb (pun intended) and scoop up this phalaenopsis and try it in an unorthodox growing position...

25638770037_2cc52d2607_b.jpg

the roots I have wrapped around the crown of the fern and they are touching the moist moss... we shall see if it works... for $10 why not?

39613972925_4830f1ea49_b.jpg

they are normally epiphytic high in the tree tops, but it may grow here below the fern... It's a gamble but it just might work...

26638168908_52226e1021_b.jpg

I'm also trying out a 200 micron filter sock to try and catch debris when I do work on the submerged section... it won't be permanent as I don't like the idea of changing it out every couple days... yeah right

39798994774_cb835a1bb2_b.jpg

Awsome setup.. :thumbup: With trying to grow orchids epiphytic on the emersed DW you need a decent substrate that hold moist very well.. Dried sphagnum only is not dense enough, even tho it holds about 12 x it's own weight in water it dries out to soon and is very inconsistant. I tried in several occassions with several orchid sp. on the naked wood with sphagnum only and i failedd every time on the long run. There is a setup on another forum with mainly Orchids and Tillandsia's on the emersed DW etc. above an open top tank, and he used Hygrolon Epiweb as base substrate on the DW and this seem to do the trick very well. It has a more dense structure holding water for a longer time it seems.

Growing life mosses emersed on wood requires not only the correct sp. but also a lot of attantion depending on the indoor climate up to spraying several times a day. Neglection for a week can cause it to go into sleep mode once it is in this mode it can take a while for it to revive again. Moss is not only very resilient it also is very sensitive to inconsistancy. Also here is a base substrate like Epiwep very benefitial.

In my personal experience i had the best emersed results with liverwort mosses on wood. :)

Hi all, It is the filamentous diatom formerly known as "Synedra", now Fragilaria spp.

cheers Darrel

I'm fairly positive that it is Synedra that has plagued this setup since last summer in the open section under the lights. This other stuff is different... I realize that the picture doesn't show it's true nature... that chunk was in a high flow area so it's a little dirty with debris... normally it's a dark grey very much like bba... also the stuff I think is Synedra is very loose and gooey... this other stuff is squishy but stays together very well...

Awsome setup.. :thumbup: With trying to grow orchids epiphytic on the emersed DW you need a decent substrate that hold moist very well..

Because the spagnum is in a hair net which is dipped on one side into the water it's moist 100% of the time... im actually worried about too much moisture and root rot... we shall see... its a cheap experiment

Hi all,
I still think they are filamentous diatoms, mainly because of the colour. The other option would be a filamentous red algae, but I'm not aware of one that looks like that from freshwater.

cheers Darrel

I will get a better picture tonight to show it's true form and colour... what I think is Synedra is this:

36038585293_b7084fdbc9_b.jpg

im actually worried about too much moisture and root rot...

Yup had the same issue with spraying to much.. If it is to moist all the time the orchid will shrivel away.. That's also what makes growing orchids outside a relative constant climate greenhouse so difficult. In both occassions to wet or to dry can symptomatic look the same, shriveling leaves. :)

It also could be a Rhizoclonium.. It also can color green/brown. I'm not sure if it goes for all Rhizoclonium sp. but an easy way to identify seems, rubbing it between your fingers. It looks slimy but it feels gritty because it has a granular cellstructure.
algas-cianoficeas-26-638.jpg

If it feels slimy it likely is something else. :) I once had it in the tank and it indeed felt gritty.

I added the calathea Medallion into planter cups and put them in the back left HOB breeder box and overflow.... hopefully they survive and fill out nicely...

39800282734_4a57695458_b.jpg

I also found some black plastic canvas for the weir guard... you tell me if it looks more inconspicuous?

38700485540_0384b89051_b.jpg

Back