• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

surface film

Samjpikey

I've got the dreaded surface film on my tank , but it's multicolored like a rainbow,

It's been happening for the past month or so and is at it's worse now :/.

I've done 75 % water changes quite frequently and it comes back with a vengeance a day later.
I have no algae in the tank and co2 saturation is optimal ( well I think so).

I have a spray bar mounted the full length of the tank right at the surface making a nice steady ripple but not breaking it.

Tank is 120 litres , I dose Ei and 2ml of liquid carbon a day.
It's not over stocked and fed every 2-3 days .

I have tried to eliminate it but I'm having no luck so I need a little help :)
Is a surface skimmer the only way to stop this problem or even running an air stone at night ??

Whats your thoughts of why i have it and your ways around it ? It really looks awful :(

Thanks

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Interested to heard how others have dealt with this... I have similar issue, thou it's not as bad as it was... I managed to reduce alot by increasing airation by lifting lilly pipe up at night, but haven't so for awhile as I got a bit lazy... So surface scum is starting to get thicker again. I've seen a glass intake with a glass surface skimmer, so am considering to buy.

EHEIM skim350

Best thing i have ever bought for my tank :)

I have looked at these even before I had the film , just still debating on it but the reviews on here about it seem pretty good and not bad for the price . What's the dimensions of it ?

I've never had a surface film before on my tanks and this is the first time I've used Ada Amazonia , - is this a common symptom with Ada ??

Not sure on dimensions but it's not big. I don't use ADA so can't comment. It's apparently down to poor plant health but my plants have been fine for the last year, so I don't think it's that. Could just be a build up of nutrients, co2 and anything else.

je3etaha.jpg

ty8epeqy.jpg

What do you think ??

epa6e5uj.jpg

This is my plant health

je3etaha.jpg

ty8epeqy.jpg

What do you think?

I think your filter isn't working properly! Perhaps with all the CO2, you pH is too low for bacteria to break down those lipids. An air pump works really well for 3 reasons: 1. Extra surface movement, so the lipids get into the water and into the filter. 2. Extra oxygen, so bacteria can work better at night. 3. It blows CO2 out, so pH raises and bacteria work more efficiënt.

That being said, an Eheim works a charm! Still you'll always keep getting it back unless you solve the bacteria part IMO...

I think your filter isn't working properly! Perhaps with all the CO2, you pH is too low for bacteria to break down those lipids. An air pump works really well for 3 reasons: 1. Extra surface movement, so the lipids get into the water and into the filter. 2. Extra oxygen, so bacteria can work better at night. 3. It blows CO2 out, so pH raises and bacteria work more efficiënt.

That being said, an Eheim works a charm! Still you'll always keep getting it back unless you solve the bacteria part IMO...
O

Ok thanks for that :)
Why don't you think my filter is working correctly ??

I get a skin on ours mate. Only when I lower the Lilly pipe when we are watching a film to stop me going for toilet breaks:D back on subject your plants look great can't quite tell but the surface looks like it is moving well? I'd have a go at just raising one end of your spray bar little to just break the surface for an evening to see if it helps mate. nice tank by the way. You must have a good routine.:)

Cheers :)

To be honest the plant health cant be better but I'm always on the hunt for things to fix or change , I'm not happy with sitting back and letting everything tic over ;) , I'm itching to completely re scape but it's always a mission .

I do have another power head connected up into a spray bar which runs below my main filter spray bar so maybe I will change them over and have the secondary spray bar a lot higher for more agitation .

Cheers

Go for the Ehiem skim pal, you won't ever look back - it will have that surface clear in less than 2 minutes!

Yea I may actually end up getting one after Christmas , :)

I have also thought about the airstone method , it's a decision between the two methods although the skimmer sounds the better option for me .

The funny thing is I normally have a glass lid , I've removed it since the last water change (yesterday) to see if that made a difference and it actually came back quicker ...... And worse !
It holds off for about 2 days with the glass lid , but the condensation puts me off keeping it but my attempt at stopping this would be to get self cleaning glass :)
Cheers

I agree with all those who have recommended the skim 350. Yes you need to address the cause of your film but in truth, we all get it form time to time, I've even seen it in the immaculate displays at The Green Machine once or twice so it does happen to the best of us.
I did use the skim 350 for a few weeks but I felt it intruded on the clear appearance of the tank, I also like my high brow glassware and ADA style fancy pants gear (without paying through the nose) so I have just got one of these instead Nag 12 16 Glass Inflow Surface Skimmer | eBay I've had a very good experience with mine and really rate it.
if you're not bothered about glassware there are also these which are an even cheaper option: Excel Water Protein Skimmer Crystal Clear Surface 1500 L H Flow Control ZZQU047 | eBay

Back