• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

surface film

Thanks for all your input guys , very much appreciated , but you were right ( you know who you are ;) , just found some bba on 2 plants , not bad but they got the chop so I'm hoping it doesn't go on to colonize my tank !

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Tights and an elastic band?
Or a little piece of rigid lightweight plastic mesh.
Eheim should provide this to fit into the top of the floater...to stop fish/shrimp and larger pieces of plant getting in the chamber.
The sponge is not the great either should be round for a snug fit.
hoggie

Yea I agree , it's a neat little skimmer but just
needs that extra bit of thought , obviously a lot of people are having the same issue .

Or a little piece of rigid lightweight plastic mesh.
Eheim should provide this to fit into the top of the floater...to stop fish/shrimp and larger pieces of plant getting in the chamber.
The sponge is not the great either should be round for a snug fit.
hoggie

^ this. Although I don't mind the foam shape don't really see it is a problem, but a mesh guard yes definitely. I did note Victor made mention of the problem earlier, should have heeded the warning.

So today I have just found a black neon tetra dead in the ehiem along with my angle fish .... Yea I know he's about as big as a 50 pence peice , the angle fish was still alive .

Ouch :(
I do have a glass lid and the water level is very close to the lid so I really don't know how they got in there .

Sorry to hear :( I've not put mine back in after my deaths.

I'm still thinking a coarse mesh guard is best bet, perhaps a piece of coarse foam stuffed in the top of the neck of the inlet would work? I tried meshing some tights over the top but it causes too much tension/obstruction and I assume water was then pulled in elsewhere rather than flowing in from the top as it didn't work properly after doing that.

Well I'm out of timers right now so I have added the ehiem to my light timer , hopefully this will do for now , during lights off I find that the fish are more curios .
Cheers

It almost wants something like a microphone gauze wedged over or in the top ..

Do you want a bit of stainless mesh like this sam
gazu2agu.jpg

Its got bigger holes than the shrimp guards so it might not stop baby shrimp

Sorry to post in that thread now but I was subscribed to learn a bit about this issue but yes... I have found a nasty surface film in my tank today.

My situation is a bit special as it is only the 5th day since planting (60 liters, 48w T5, CO2 pressurized and EI ferts from day one) so my substrate is leaching nutrients and some plants that are adapting to the new environment (so, some leaves melting, etc.). I have an additional problem: a white mold/fungus is growing in my redmoor. I used to remove it in other tanks when I had it, but this new tank has two pieces plenty of branches and I'm doing a mess each time I try to clean it all. Moreover I have noticed that even after a 50% WC (done during this first week daily), plenty of white little pieces of the fungus are everywhere in the water... and finally float to the surface.

My worry is not right now the surface film itself but to be able to pass this first month without an algae bloom...but as far as I have read this surface film is organic matter. Will the surface film increase the probability of an algae outbreak during the cycling?
Will you remove the white fungus from the redmoor or would you leave it alone? (I've read that it vanishes in a week or so... but I don't want this to be the feedstuff for algae)

I had the The white fungus on my manzi wood but it's disappeared over a few weeks ,
Soon after I had the surface film problem I did have a few plants that had some bba as mentioned earlier on this thread , I was told it nearly always follows and they we're right because it did :( , nothing major but it was there.

I got the ehiem skim , kept a good maintenance regime and now a few weeks later - no film and no bba . :)

Don't worry about the fungus, appears on most new wood. Pick of what you can if unsightly.

Back