• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Salty Fingers

Loving it already.
Thank you mort!
To the best of my knowledge I was the first person in the country to keep the algae in your first picture
Thats awesome! It's probably one of my favourite ones so far for the colour and texture and contrasts really well with the Ulva. Although, the Ulva won't be looking so comparable for long I'm sure. 😅
caulerpa prolifera
Yes I've acquainted myself with the infamous Caulerpa. I think I actually had a small portion of it go sexual already. The hermit crab dislodged a 'leaf' and on pulling it out some of it just vaporised into liquid. Nothing malicious seems to have happened though.

If it's proving too much hassle I'll just replace it with something I don't need to worry so much about. I have no allegiances to it. I've seen some really nice species that I've added to my list to look out for, but I've not seen any of them for sale thus far.
I think you probably have ochtodes
Yeah the one I have is Blue Ochtodes!

Hi bud,
Super looking 👍 Have you bought some shells as hermit crabs like to change the shell their in for a bigger shell .
As men did I had four hermit crabs . Looking great. Add slowly with livestock as it Marine.

Hi bud,
Super looking 👍 Have you bought some shells as hermit crabs like to change the shell their in for a bigger shell .
As men did I had four hermit crabs . Looking great. Add slowly with livestock as it Marine.
Thank you mate!

I have indeed given my hermit some extra real estate. Although I wish I had bought some darker shells as I think they contrast with the scarlet red really well. Might swap them out.
8A4ABCF0-DED3-4B6B-973F-ADADA4C4C9D5.jpeg

I'll also be adding livestock slowly yeah. No fish until the system is a bit more stable. I've also noticed a pod population bloom which is good to see!
Come on @Courtneybst where's the planted FTS already?! :p

EDIT: Scratch that - in my rush I completely missed it on the previous page 😂🤣
Eager beaver! I should get some closer ones of everything in view, although it pretty much looks the same right now haha.

Brilliant Mate👍
Some of those shells you can use but not all. Love the colour contrast👍 Good advice leaving the system to stable before adding more. As for the pod bloom I had the same in the early stage !! Six years down the line now and all satisfactory.👍

It seems diatoms are wrecking me at moment. I'm not worried but man, it's next level. Some of it actually looks like cyanobacteria...
65B95B55-84CB-428D-8F92-61C1EAF75C6C.jpeg

Also turns out my tank is very much still cycling, although nearing the latter end. Ammonia is a hard 0, nitrite looks like 0.5 and nitrates are through the roof but apparently the presence of nitrite can throw off your nitrate test results.
69E5B49C-FCD4-4E97-B926-EFA4E36F7C46.jpeg

I removed the Ulva since it was melting, probably adding to the nutrient levels but also super hard to keep in one place. I removed most of the Ochtodes too as it was covered in what looked like cyanobacteria but there's remnants stuck to the rock that I'm sure will grow back once things settle. The Cryptonemia is also covered in something but it hasn't deteriorated at all so I rubbed off what I could and left it be.

The Caulerpa and Red Ogo is starting to grow well now and actually pearls during the photoperiod.
9D8F68DF-8FD8-4EAB-80BC-1C7C51EC31F7.jpeg

I also thought I killed my scarlet hermit. I found what I now realise was a molt next to its shell. I thought amano shrimp molts looked convincing but this take the cake! The snails have also started being more active in the last week which is reassuring. Auto top off is also setup so I don't have to worry about that which was getting tedious. Overall things are doing good.
CB079C00-516D-43FC-AF10-58AF102D2FDD.jpeg

8A22AF43-2F9E-45F6-8E58-5FDB984B9B18.jpeg

Ok so 2 weeks have past and some interesting things have happened.
E19ADECE-D512-43A0-B04C-3D246444A771.jpeg

The diatoms went into overdrive and then have now died down. They're present on some of the surfaces but it's now predominantly cyanobacteria and a persistent green dust algae on the glass! I'm wondering if my lighting is too strong? It's hard to guage because although there are a few macroalgae display keepers I can talk to, I've not seen a single person using the light unit that I am for reference, and I don't own a par meter, nor do Chihiros provide par data for this model. I will turn it down slightly and see if it makes any difference.

CAD487FF-0612-43F2-89D5-BBF078F664CE.jpeg

Admittedly, I haven't been doing the maintenance on the filter that I should have been doing which I plan to do as soon as I'm out of covid isolation. 🙃 I had a copepod population explosion last week and now I can't see any? I'm wondering if they got sucked into the filter or just find the conditions unfavourable? Who knows... Not I. Lol.

276DCA69-7868-4B0B-BC96-51CDEA0904FE.jpeg

I added a Nassarius snail which already showed off it's zombie-like skills and is quite interesting to watch. I've also noticed the trochus snails have started eating some of the algae all of a sudden after weeks of ignoring it. I went to over 5 shops looking for cerith or astrea snails to fight the good fight, with no luck. So I ended up having to order online - they'll be arriving next week.

My Red Ogo has exploded in size (maybe 4-5x the amount I originally received) so I had planned to split it up and place it in other areas of the tank with some new delivery of Caulerpa Prolifera. Jussssst before I got round to that, one of the trochus snails completely bulldozed the ogo, sending it flying everywhere. I've just left everything floating until I'm out of isolation because honestly I can't. 🥲

EB6A9A1F-A165-4397-B499-9A6F916468D3.jpeg

Also side note; a few better known reefers and I are doing an experiment. We're trying to acclimate a specific species of hairgrass to saltwater since they can be found in coastal waters and there are journals stating so. If it works then amazing! If not, it was for science!

Happy Reefing! 😁

I'm wondering if my lighting is too strong? It's hard to guage because although there are a few macroalgae display keepers I can talk to, I've not seen a single person using the light unit that I am for reference, and I don't own a par meter, nor do Chihiros provide par data for this model. I will turn it down slightly and see if it makes any difference.

It’s a light unit geared toward growing plants and you’re very successfully growing those plants. I had the fortune of bumping into and having a really good chat with a marine biologist whose speciality was Macroalgae cultivation and lighting was a specific question I had for her (amongst a few questions about Nutrition) as I struggle to grow the Branching Red Macroalgae (except for Gracillaria) but can absolutely make Caulerpa Racemosa and Prolifera thrive on nothing but waterchanges. The answer is lots of bright white light!

Blue light looks amazing for Corals but they tend to deeper waters where the Macroalgae hang out in the shallow zone where there is enormous amounts of white light, in reality it’s more available Red spectrum but horticultural lights while effective really only belong in the refugium and out of the main display.

Don’t stop your getting really good growth!

:)

It’s a light unit geared toward growing plants and you’re very successfully growing those plants. I had the fortune of bumping into and having a really good chat with a marine biologist whose speciality was Macroalgae cultivation and lighting was a specific question I had for her (amongst a few questions about Nutrition) as I struggle to grow the Branching Red Macroalgae (except for Gracillaria) but can absolutely make Caulerpa Racemosa and Prolifera thrive on nothing but waterchanges. The answer is lots of bright white light!

Blue light looks amazing for Corals but they tend to deeper waters where the Macroalgae hang out in the shallow zone where there is enormous amounts of white light, in reality it’s more available Red spectrum but horticultural lights while effective really only belong in the refugium and out of the main display.

Don’t stop your getting really good growth!

Thank you Xenith, that's good to know!

Currently the light unit only has R/G/B channels and no white but it's red and blue on 100% and green on 60%. So you think I'm best keeping it as it is? The Caulerpa prolifera, Gracilaria mammillaris and the Red ogo (red ogo in particular) are definitely growing. The Ochtodes looks the same as when I put it in however.

I definitely need to do water changes as I think not doing them has been the crux to a lot of the issues I'm having. I think until things stabilise I might stick to a smaller but weekly change.

I was also told by a few macro experts that theirs grew tremendously better once fish had been added!

I would leave the light set as it is. A good supply of nutrients including B Vitamins helps growth progress. Marine tanks take a long while to properly mature, the tank will eventually find its equilibrium.

The last 2 weeks for this tank has been quite significant and I believe it's moving in the right direction!

Get a bucket and a mop
Once my isolation was over I was determined to get a hold on this tank and bring it back. I went nuclear and dosed some Ultralife Red Slime Remover for the cyanobacteria, cleaned down the glass and hoovered away some diatoms and detritus and boosted the copepod population.
E6029D2D-792F-4FB8-BA14-C0222492274E.jpeg

I also made some adjustments to the tank to help change the environment slightly, making it a little bit more inhospitable to nuisance algae. Firstly, I switched the Oase plastic inlets over to a mini glass lily pipe set with skimmer. It looks really nice in the tank, so minimal and not distracting at all! I had originally planned to use Aquario acrylic pipes but after speaking with Dennis Wong he mentioned that he prefers to use skimmers on the inlet because they draw organic waste into the filter rather than circulating it around the tank. I believe some of this organic waste could have been contributing to my problems, so on it went. Doing this also hugely increased the flow and oxygenation in the water which cyanobacteria hates. This made me realise I didn't need to buy/use an additional powerhead either so more money saved and less visual distractions. I also lowered the temperature slightly and cut back on my phytoplankton dosing.

2B565737-50AA-470D-8076-5B21685C288A.jpeg

My next war strategy was the addition of 3 Astrea snails which has made a significant difference. They chow through algae like nobody's business! I've witnessed them sucking on individual grains of aragonite sand and making it sparkly - pretty impressive!
380CB5EF-4F17-44B4-A1B2-38D706FC9381.jpeg

Before the clean:
D125B273-CFA5-49AD-828F-75F43B8D2AAB.jpeg

Immediately after:
CEC6CB18-CEAA-4671-909E-BD989C5121CE.jpeg

New Additions

After the big clean, things were settling down and a quick water test informed me that the cycle was complete. So I thought now would be a good time to add some fish!

The priority was getting hold of a Naked Clownfish, which I did find pretty quickly. Unfortunately on the day of delivery it arrived dead. I have obviously seen many fish die over the years in my tank, but something about receiving a corpse was quite upsetting. I remember feeling a bit down for the rest of the day and slightly disgruntled/guilty at the whole situation. That was the first time I've ordered fish online but I couldn't let it dishearten me, it's not in my nature.

I found another one for sale from Abyss Aquatics who shipped it to me. I have to say the fish was in perfect condition and the service was top notch. Would highly recommend them to anyone. They even put some sweets in the box, which seems trivial but when you're doing fishy business all day that quick sugar hit is very well received.

617F4716-12A6-4EAE-8D3F-A8A386738AF1.jpeg

The fish is absolutely stunning and so healthy. My friend Paul suggested I call it Marmalade because of its vivid orange colour. I've decided to take this on, but since I'm fairly sure this will be the female I'm calling her Lady Marmalade.

I wanted to wait and see what the naked clown looked like first (size wise) before purchasing the second fish. With Clownfish, they all start genderless and then become male. The biggest, most dominant of the group becomes female and the second most dominant becomes the breeding/alpha male, similar to the social hierarchy of bees. Apparently the breeding pair even secrete hormones that keep the other males infertile until such an event like the female's death, where the alpha male would become the female and one of the beta males would become the alpha male! Truly fascinating fish.

The general consensus is that they can fight a lot if you get two unpaired clowns that are too similar in size or already both females as they fight for dominance, sometimes to the death. Therefore, my plan of action was to find a significantly smaller Clownfish in person that was likely to be male still and would minimise any aggression.

D208B471-855F-4A6B-958D-C16755AFF2CA.jpeg

Well...it seems to have worked perfectly! Yesterday I went down to Wildwoods Enfield and to my delight they had lots of small Clownfish. I got a regular patterned Ocellaris (I thought the contrast would be nice) and they have started swimming together as if they already knew each other. The naked Clownfish is much bigger and more hyperactive so I'm fairly sure she will be the female and the new one will remain a male. They look so good together and it's pretty surreal that my hobby-long dream of keeping clowns is finally right before my eyes. I will post a video once I work out how!

FE9EE492-8E93-4BEB-B8D8-2CD881D4DEF6.jpeg

I also added more macroalgae which was partially for help against the nuisance algae but also to fill out the gaps and stop the tank looking so measly. In went some extra Caulerpa prolifera, Gracilaria parvispora (which I didn't need because now I have way too much), Codium fragile and Botryocladia.

The first corals also made an appearance! I added frags of Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps and 'Bush Coral' which I believe is Kenya Tree. Now, I realise I probably put myself in the deep end choosing 3 'invasive' corals but I'll just stay vigilant. One thing I've come to learn is that high-energy planted tanks really puts you in good stead for this kind of setup. We're much more accustomed to blazing fast growth so this in comparison seems like a doddle. But let's see if I eat my words... 😅
15A27962-D19A-4971-B8C4-76B3E81EB1C1.jpeg
4AC48882-B24D-47D0-8C5C-754108062802.jpeg
DE7AF987-999D-4E80-BB88-59D67D64EAB5.jpeg

Latest FTS
0EE70C9C-5105-4D85-8251-6C260CF6994E.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not normally a massive fan of line bred stuff but that fish is stunning! Such vivid colouration.
Thanks! I think the thing that helps is the naked clown has a simple, plain beauty. You could imagine that actually existing in the wild. Sort of reminds me of a Yellow Clown Goby but orange.

Some of the designer clown patterns are beautiful but also look quite odd in my opinion.

Literally just today decided not to try marine as it would be a PITA and then you post that 😔
Hey! Not a PITA at all, just different. 🙂

This tank is no more complicated than my freshwater high-energy, I'm just swapping out certain elements for others. I'm gonna go so far as saying I think this is harder than a low energy planted tank (most things are), but easier than a high energy.

This tank is no more complicated than my freshwater high-energy, I'm just swapping out certain elements for others. I'm gonna go so far as saying I think this is harder than a low energy planted tank (most things are), but easier than a high energy.
It'll be interesting to hear what is like maintenance-wise in a year or so! Hopefully even easier :)

Water changes are the main concern, the idea of making RO to add salt to and then mix seems a lot more involved than my current tap to tank solution.

Water changes are the main concern, the idea of making RO to add salt to and then mix seems a lot more involved than my current tap to tank solution.
Yeah that's definitely more involved. If you get good quality salt you can make large batches and store them.

I don't want to contaminate my jerry cans with salt as I use the RO water for other things too. So I mix RO with salt and let it sit overnight in a bucket with a powerhead running and drop a heater in there in the morning. If you don't have the luxury of leaving it overnight you can use it after a good mix still.

Ideally I'd mix up a month's worth and leave it and then I can do water changes on the fly, although I'm not doing frequent water changes anyway!

But totally get your point!
It'll be interesting to hear what is like maintenance-wise in a year or so! Hopefully even easier :)
I hope so!

How much and how often do you change water?
At the moment the schedule isn't stable because it's been affected by deep cleans, introducing new fish etc. The aim is either 30% every 2 weeks or 15% once a week. I'll shoot for the 2 weeks first and see how it goes, it might react differently now there's fish and food in there.

I haven't touched the filter either!

Back