• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming'

saintly said:
Another plant which will be making it's way into the setup.

A new for me.

bolbitis.

bolbitis.jpg
I love this plant, I going to introduce this to my tank sometie in the near future, Exspensive??

I'm really looking forward to using this plant. I've always loved it in amano's tanks.

I'm just deciding where to place these ferns in the tank. I've just about sorted the foreground arrangement now. :D

Bolbititis is my favourite plant, I can second the cutting all but the growing "nub" off, it seems to take much better when you do that, you do have to wait a lot longer for it to kick in growing but the growth always seems better and less tatty. It loves flow and doesn't like super high levels of KNO3 which I found scorched it's leaves.

LondonDragon said:
Never had much success with Bolbits :( looking forward to your experiences with it and your tips ;)

well, the master, amano always trims leaves off. There seems to be a 50/50 on ukaps for people succeeding and not.

The load i've got on wood is immersed form I reckon, so I may just leave the leaves and see what happens.

flygja said:
Looks as though you have the "mini" version?

i'm not sure. It's an amazing specimen. i picked it up for £8.00 at me P@H branch. it was lodged away in the back of one of the fish display tanks.

time to see if i grow it now.

saintly said:
i'm not sure. It's an amazing specimen. i picked it up for £8.00 at me P@H branch. it was lodged away in the back of one of the fish display tanks.

time to see if i grow it now.

I've managed to get a few decent ferns and bolbitis in exactly this way. I got a massive narrow java fern on bogwood, and a humongus bolbitus for £25. Probably a good 8 pots worth from each specimen! Needless to say the bogwood ended up in the garage ;)

i love this plant. great capture Mark! :thumbup:

In my large tank its root growth around my wood just like a snake. And gives so much leaf around this time. However i have problems with some leaf as it get dark. Maybe the tapwater or too much light i do not know.

viktorlantos said:
However i have problems with some leaf as it get dark. Maybe the tapwater or too much light i do not know.

I have this problem too, and I think its related to exposure to air during water changes. Although its supposed to be able to grow out of the water, it seems like submersed ones have difficulty adapting.

viktorlantos said:
i love this plant. great capture Mark! :thumbup:

In my large tank its root growth around my wood just like a snake. And gives so much leaf around this time. However i have problems with some leaf as it get dark. Maybe the tapwater or too much light i do not know.

I remember mine coiling around wood. The secret is to cut off the larger, older leaves. Although it is classed a slow grower, once it becomes established it can easily take over a tank and shade everything. The amount I took out of my 240l when I stripped it down was phenomenal.

Dave.

i've now got to get my thinking cap on. The tenellus isn't going to feature in the tank.

I'm now trying to decide what to do with the huge gaps I'm going to encounter.

i'm getting itchy fingers now waiting for the plants :D my nano has been turned into a holding tank unfortunatley.

it's got a few pots of crypts in :?

holding-tank.jpg

The native stem i've put in though, has doubled in size. not sure if it's fully aquatic or semi. it was found at the side of a stream growing out of some moss. It would do good in a riparium ;)

holding-2.jpg

Hey Mark, I wonder if the emergent plant is the same as this one I found. Mine have grown much taller like yours, the jury thought it was probably Myosotis scorpioides or a similar species.

tanksmarch2010025.jpg

tanksmarch2010002.jpg

I used to live in Lincoln, in Summer the canals are full of interesting plants, Hope it flowers for you, T

P.S I'm in the trimmers of bolbitis camp, the more brutal I am with mine the better it grows back.

it looks awfully similar TBRO . TBO I didn't expect it to grow, just die. The next nano, I may arrange it so I can accommodate a few native plants.

Back