• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' @ 10 weeks

Krish's Bettas said:
thats a first for me too. Very strange

me too. What I'm wondering is, if I should touch it! could it be poisonous?

It's always best to air on the side of safety with mushrooms, If you want to remove it then it's best to use latex gloves and the gloves disposed of thoughtfully. I'd say it's probably safe since it's dull coloured but that said some of the most noxious are pale...

Could be a puffball not mushroom?
[edit] in closer inspection it has a stem so I think thats my theory out the window :rolleyes:

We need one of our resident plant ID people :thumbup:

By the way the tank is looking incredible, didn't mention it before as I thought it goes without saying :D. Stunning plants.

Realy Nice Tank and every detail is perfect. I just wonder about people like You - so big patience and expirience.

Garuf said:
some of the most noxious are pale...
Indeed the death cap looks just like an edible mushroom. The main difference is the gills of the death cap are white where as in the edible mushroom (by this i mean bog standard 'buy-from-tescos') are browny. Also the veil is white:-
http://www.toxinology.com/generic_static_files/images_generic/MD-fig1A-annulus-volva.gif
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/chooser.asp
That might aid identification :)

thanks for the input guys and lisa 8)

After just 2 days they withered up and shrunk. Real strange to see them though.

After a couple of weeks of neglect, i've ended up with Algae in my moss. damn stuff. it's contained to one area thankfully so for the next few and final weeks of the tanks life, I'll just persevere with it.

I've somehow lost all enthusiasm with the tank and not kept eyes on co2, W/C etc etc. you get the picture...other priorities!

The HM to the right has gone/trimmed due to it looking 'tatty' but it's given a tone of space from the front view. I may do the same to the left for the final pics.

here's how it stands today. you can see the gap to the right.

half-arsed.jpg

i've increased co2 for the last 3 days, and things have perked up no end.

BRING ON A RE-SCAPE!!!!

Still looking great as always Mark :) that red crypt would look great in my tank haha
Looking forward to your next rescape already ;)

Looking great, Mark, despite the claimed neglect. :D

Keep it going mate. Self-discipline is all you need, and the rewards will be worth it when it's ready for it's final tank shot in August or so... ;)

I wonder why you get bored of scapes so easily Mark. Especially one as stunning as this!

flygja said:
wonder why you get bored of scapes so easily Mark

it's not so much boredom, more that certain things need my attention at the moment. more than the tank. I also want to re scape so soon, to move onto learning new things. I'm never happy.

George Farmer said:
despite the claimed neglect. :D

it is true mate. And the plants haven't thanked me. I'm correcting that as we speak. :thumbup:

LondonDragon said:
that red crypt would look great in my tank haha

next tank will feature crypts. not lots, but placed maybe as a feature? ;)

Good luck with the new project, one of the reasons I've joined UKAPS were your stunning vimeo videos and of course George's biotopes. :wave:

samc said:
its a good thing though, its the best way to improve

yes mate, true. I've got no 'fire' at the moment though :?

clonitza said:
one of the reasons I've joined UKAPS were your stunning vimeo videos

cheers mate :thumbup: at least someone looks at them :lol:

saintly said:

This is looking wonderful Mark but I'm sure that you'll top it with the re-scape.

Re: Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' intensive treatment

cheers devin. I'm going for something much more simple next time. Minimalist! 8)

So intensive treatment has begun. W/C ferts high CO2...you get the picture. HM and umbrosum struggle currently...at least by my standards.

I need this somewhere near in the next few weeks for final images, then i can at least rest if the tank goes completely belly up. RE- images, i've also decided to use just tank lighting and back lighting.

The 2 x bowens lights just wont cut it, and I'm not really wanting to hire additional lighting, not for this tank anyway.

i've now cleared the back left to emulate the right. HC needs a trim tomorrow...looks a but 'bushy' The teres to the front right must go also.

Man, the things I'd do different in this set up

intensive-treatment.jpg

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' intensive treatment

I still think it's stunning, a pleasure to read this journal.

You've made a lot of people very jealous.

Cheers,

Tom

What *would* you do differently in this set up?

looks amazing, stunning and awesome to me... but it's always good to learn from others' learning....

if you've time to teach

mx

magpie said:
What *would* you do differently in this set up?

good question mate.

1. I'd not put the teres in. ( the green grassy looking stuff) it's too invasive.
2. Place more crypts around the wood and stones.
3.Not use stems to the right side
4. use fresh moss (must of brought something in from the previous tank)
5. asses foreground plants and placement. Crypt and liliaopsis...choose one not both

Basically, i've tried something a bit too challenging.For sure i've learnt tons and actually I'd love to do the same hardscape but with different planting :D or do the same stone arrangement, and try iwagumi...I love iwagumi.

Next tank will be simple, minimalistic with a strong focal point.

tomsteer said:
I still think it's stunning, a pleasure to read this journal.

cheers tom. :thumbup:

Back