• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala / Amannia Bonsai (Melt)

Now you´re talking.. and could be some factor also with the prodution and not only concerning the tanks.
By the point of viewing things, it´s like we aquarists are always the weakest link in a chain... we have to blame ourselfes if something´s go wrong in the tank.

I´m just trying to open a diferent perspective. maybe it´s not Us. Why do we have to assume that all the goods we buy are a kind of some perfect God´s Make.?
To me this makes perfect sense. If the reason a plant doesn't thrive is not removed - changing other parametres will not help. Therefore the person having troubles is more likely to have trouble with the same plant again.....
I simple can not acept that anymore. Not before of what i saw and experience. It´s not logical.

For the"please teach us" part, I can only say, that those who know me also know that personally I would love to teach. But I am an employee and have to respect the guidelines of use of resources my employer gives. I have sold 37 hours a week - meaning my employer decides how much of that time is suposed to go to which activities.
Please keep in mind, that you guys pay ALL the work being done. The more employees, the higher the price of plants.........

BUT .....I was asked long ago by this forum, to join in AS A PRIVATE, sharing some of my experience and knowledge. This mean, I actually do some of the teaching, I like - ex. by ID-ing plants. I have other hobbies too, and a life besides, though, so I choose my "obligations" very carefull.

My guess as to your specific tank:
- plants seem to dislike conditions close to bottom of tank - and live happily closer to surface. This indicate the source of problems is to find in the difference of conditions in those places. Amount of available CO2 comes to mind as the first to check.

I do not have problems with this plant but like all tissue plants many other factors play. By now got cold / freeze for example. Not a fresh plant in the box / on the shelf. Not carefully washed from the gel. This plant is higher demand on light and probably nutrients co2 too. We grow them in soft water. Once it is settled it can grow in a bit shady area too but will be leggy. On high light open space area more compact and red top. Lovely plant but not easy. However even if this melt the root system is so strong that it can grow back slowly from nothing. Just like staurogyne or crypts. Better to plant it earlier. So pick it up with fresh shipments and make sure roots are carefully cleaned. This is more of a root feeder plant. Will die off quickly if theres a problem with it

Now from keyboard, much more convenient. :) On the test issue about Tropica process.
There are probably not so much nursery who has dedicated international pro team which test their plants and give useful feedback before plant goes out to the market/mass production.
And before even any plant goes for pro testing there's a heavy internal test with the plants in the nursery with different conditions.

UKAPS also has many great member, who do or did testing for Tropica and cross share their experiences.

I would check those tanks where this plant thrive.

Like Mark Evans tank from Interzoo 2012 when the plant were introduced to the market. Big open space probably good flow/circulation

7229649308_764660e2bf_b.jpgTropica at Interzoo 2012 by viktorlantos, on Flickr

same big open space with plenty light

7655949690_7413013440_b.jpgGreen Aqua Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

7655957712_c95a1aa816_b.jpgGreen Aqua Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

14584283426_b2f3c2c843_b.jpgGreen Aqua Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

I checked with my local shop today, they have this plant in some of their display tanks, no experience with melting ... shops sells alot of 1-2 Grow & has received no complaints back about the Rotala "Bonsai" melting, note that tap is soft & acidic.

Aprecciate all information and i thank you.

There´s only one remaining thing i can do about this and check. Decrease the total hardness. And will do it in two diferent stages.

If this doens´t work i gave up. I´m not not gonna burn my fuses.. sincerely some things just don´t make sense.

And i say again with all respect: We can put out examples of sucess around the plant as many as we like, but that doesn´t mean in all production series all goes perfectly right. Even in a perfectly "well oiled" factory, with tones of computers and technical controls, quality controls, things sometimes go wrong.. and worst.. sometimes take too long for someone notice.

Best regards

We do use soft water - ro in all of our tanks. Heavy light plenty co2 daily fertilizers and water temp around 21-24 celsius. Everything thrive. Only ug hates us ;) or the soils. Since in sand and lower light goes better. I cant report a general bonsai failure and we sell quit a lot.

Allready put a thread in some foruns here in Portugal. ;)
We´ll see waht hapens.

Post here in some Portuguese foruns:

Amannia / Rotala Bonsai
Does anyone have this plant allready established in the aquarium? If so can anyone send me some couple of feet in a box with water of the tank so that it arrives in submerged state?"

We´ll see what happens.

Best regards.

I checked with my local shop today, they have this plant in some of their display tanks, no experience with melting ... shops sells alot of 1-2 Grow & has received no complaints back about the Rotala "Bonsai" melting, note that tap is soft & acidic.

What people used to do when somethings wrong with a plant?
Garbage... and buy another different.
There you have statistics..

Sorry to hijack the thread for a while, but you have mentioned this other times and I'm curious about it...
Is there any particular reason for doing so?

Cheers,
Jordi

Yup for better appearance.

Never said that... but you may agree there are too many grey shades around this business... especially with ADA.
And don´t expect a shop to "open the gates". They have a businees to run. You ´re not naif.

But this is off topic. sorry.

I think its great if anyone share their info, experience. No matter where they are from. We do meet with tens of thusands of plants every year zillions of stories from our clients, installations and the tanks we're running. I came here to help not to do business. Just wanted to show you a few working examples. This plant is not the hardest one for sure. So keep up ;) it will work. Maybe you're on a wrong forum and you see more faults because of that.

Like soft water. In nature habitat many plants are in soft water. Check Kasselmann bible. Nuseries use rain water/soft water to grow plants. So why we force our plants to do well in hard water?

Do you mean scale build-up on the glass?
(Looking forward to seeing a journal in UKAPS about your new setup... I follow it on Flickr. Brilliant!)

Jordi

Thanks mate ;)

Plants look nicer healthier. Most of them. We have 14-25 gh in our country from tap. Which is not optimal at all

Back