• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remanso . . .

Keith at Wildwoods confirmed that the Six-ray Cories and the Threadfin Rainbows will be with them this week from their German supplier, so after a couple of weeks settling at Wildwoods, they should be ready for onward shipping to me, along with another batch of Chilli's ('cause you never have enough Chilli's and the 30 odd I have in are just lost in that tank currently).

I think I can then just about add one more species. I've narrowed it down to the following, but can't decide which way to go:

Tucano Tetra (Tucanoichthys tucano):

1690904456002.png

These have a nice subtle colouration similar to the other fish I will have in tank, but they are a bit more sensitive and a definite blackwater species. I'm also not sure how active a species they are - @Conort2 ?

Ruby Tetra (Axelrodia riesei):

1690904480609.png

Thanks to @Conort2 for putting me onto these. The colour puts me off a little on these (as I've had similar coloured Embers for a long time), but then again it might be nice to have a bit of contrast, but having seen them in videos I love they way they move like little hummingbirds. Keith at Wildwoods describes them as 'tough' (as in very hardy). This is a good video showing their movement:

Dwarf Pencilfish (Nannostomus Marginatus):

1690904651700.png

I've always loved these Pencil fish, but they'll be predominantly at the top of the tank where the Chilli's and Threadfins will already be, so I'm not sure if that'll be a bit unbalanced . . .

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with any of the above, or has any other suggestions (30mm or under), I'm keen to read them?

I would go for the pencils, the pencils have sooooo much more personality than tetras (I’ve kept the rubies and they were fine but nothing particularly) and are so entertaining! They don’t just use the top they’re all over, very playful fish with interesting behaviours, and their territorially is not too much. Also they’re much more beautiful irl with a lovely iridescence.

A recent fish I’ve started keeping which I love and which is quite all over is the rosy loach. They’re tiny, enjoy being in a big interactive group, active and cute. They hover about in a very charming way, a lot like pygmy cories, but much less shy.

They can look quite plain in online images but in reality they have a beautiful distinct blue metallic sheen to their flanks when the light catches them, and occasionally blue eyes if the light catches them right. Some of the males are already flaring their fins to one another and the females. Hopefully the diet of live food I have for them will only enhance both.
They are lovely little fish. Photos never seem to do them justices. I find evening time the best time to see their courting behaviour as my lights start to dim unlike other tetras I have that seem to be at their showiest in the mornings

also not sure how active a species they are - @Conort2 ?
What I’d describe as your standard tetra if that makes sense? They’ll often find a spot that they enjoy and stay there most of the time, occasionally flirting around the tank and sparring each other. I keep mine in a small tank so a large shoal in a big tank could behave differently.

Ruby tetras are cheap and tough fish, I really like the way the hover around like little hummingbirds and the colours really pop once fully settled. I’d say they’ve got more colouration than an ember. I’ve never really been a fan of those.

Pencilfish are great but they normally have a bit of attitude. Not sure how they would behave being essentially one of the biggest fish in your tank?

Cheers

Great journal and a lovely looking tank. I would agree about the rosy loaches, they are fearless,active and social little guys, they use all levels of the tank. On the threadfins they fly about at all levels especially when they are breeding.

If it were me I'd have to get some Corydoras hastatus to see how they interact with the Hyphessobrycon elachys.
If you want underwater hummingbirds Pseudomugil luminatus would be my suggestion. They stay mostly in the mid to top of the tank and the way they swim and display reminds me hummingbirds.

I would go for the pencils, the pencils have sooooo much more personality than tetras (I’ve kept the rubies and they were fine but nothing particularly) and are so entertaining! They don’t just use the top they’re all over, very playful fish with interesting behaviours, and their territorially is not too much. Also they’re much more beautiful irl with a lovely iridescence.

A recent fish I’ve started keeping which I love and which is quite all over is the rosy loach. They’re tiny, enjoy being in a big interactive group, active and cute. They hover about in a very charming way, a lot like pygmy cories, but much less shy.

Thanks Rosie, I am heavily swaying towards the Dwarf Pencils if I'm honest, just because I've wanted to keep them for a long time and they are quite unique little fish.

I have looked at Rosy Loaches in the past and always liked them, so it might be worth me taking another look. 👍

Looks great. Congratulations on the babies and really nice to see those loaches in a planted tank.

Thanks Tim - yeah, they're a really strange and odd-ball little fish, but great fun to watch.

They are lovely little fish. Photos never seem to do them justices. I find evening time the best time to see their courting behaviour as my lights start to dim unlike other tetras I have that seem to be at their showiest in the mornings

Yeah, I'm going to have to set up the camera on a tripod a few hours before and try to capture some images of them - I've noticed they seem more active towards the end of the day too!

What I’d describe as your standard tetra if that makes sense? They’ll often find a spot that they enjoy and stay there most of the time, occasionally flirting around the tank and sparring each other. I keep mine in a small tank so a large shoal in a big tank could behave differently.

That was something I was a little concerned about. I found the same with my Embers, and when I kept Black Neons in the distant past - they find a comfortable spot and just sit there until some food appears. That and their higher sensitivity/more extreme blackwater requirements is probably going to knock them off the list for me.

Ruby tetras are cheap and tough fish, I really like the way the hover around like little hummingbirds and the colours really pop once fully settled. I’d say they’ve got more colouration than an ember. I’ve never really been a fan of those.

Hmmm, yeah I'm still intrigued by the Ruby tetra's - it's getting to be a tough choice.

Pencilfish are great but they normally have a bit of attitude. Not sure how they would behave being essentially one of the biggest fish in your tank?

Cheers

The 'attitude' is the one thing that concerns me a little with the Pencils. I have read that the Marginatus are the least aggressive though. Keith did offer me Coral Reds Pencils and Purple Pencils, but whilst beautiful they would be slightly larger, and potentially more aggressive like the Beckfordi which seem to be most renowned for it - I'm sturggling to find much in the way of references online reporting aggression with the Marginatus, certainly outside of conspecifics.

There would be quite a few fish that will be a similar size of slightly larger than the Marginatus - I think they max out at 20-25mmm, so the Threadfins will be slightly larger, as will the Sedge tetras. Plus there is a lot of real estate for them to spread out over if any territorial aggression does occur. I seem to be talking myself into it 😂

I'd ditch the 30mm rule and add some Dicrossus filamentosus. Will occupy all levels. Sorry it's not a tetra. 😀

Thanks John, but Cichlids are out for me I think this time around. Lovely looking fish, but too large, and too 'shrimp-chomping' for this set-up.

Great journal and a lovely looking tank. I would agree about the rosy loaches, they are fearless,active and social little guys, they use all levels of the tank. On the threadfins they fly about at all levels especially when they are breeding.

Thanks Liam, another vote for the Rosy Loaches, I'll check them out in some more detail. Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting the Threadfins in place - they are kind of the showpiece fish of the tank.

Looking good Wookii!

Thanks Bazz 👍

If it were me I'd have to get some Corydoras hastatus to see how they interact with the Hyphessobrycon elachys.
If you want underwater hummingbirds Pseudomugil luminatus would be my suggestion. They stay mostly in the mid to top of the tank and the way they swim and display reminds me hummingbirds.

I'm pretty maxed out on the Cory front I think with around 10-12x Hasbrosus, 6x Pygmy's plus 30x Six-rays incoming.

Funnily enough with the Pygmaeus, we've had those for several years now. I originally got them for my sons low tech tank, and we barely ever saw them in there - just occasionally at feeding time. Then when we moved house they went in the holding tank, and we barely ever saw them in there either. Now in this big tank their personality has completely changed, and they are out all the time, probably the most visible fish in the tank currently - generally trying to make friends with the Zebra Oto's constantly swimming alongside them.

Pseudomugil species were something I was considering when looking at the Rainbows - they are a beautiful fish, but I was put off a little by quite a few reports of them jumping - maybe one for the future.

Question for the group: On the Threadfin Rainbows, I'm going to request a mix of males and females (as they are more easy to tell apart), if females are included in the shipment - does anyone have any idea what sort of ratio I should be aiming for - I can't find much in the way of answers online - most places seem to suggest the males don't particularly pursue or harass the females, with a number of owners reporting no issues with more males than females, so I was kind of thinking of about a 50:50 mix?

Coral Reds Pencils and Purple Pencils,
Coral reds are beautiful but would probably nip your stock to death. They weren’t afraid to attack fish four times the size of them in my tank,

Can you not go for marginatus and rubys? You have the space.

Can you not go for marginatus and rubys? You have the space.

Maybe yes, but I'm conscious of overstocking. Not from a biological capacity - the plant density, filter efficiency and general fish size probably means I could double the quantity of fish and still not have that issue - but more from the tank just being too busy. I want it to look more towards the natural side of things, and not like a shop tank. So maybe both, with one of them as a later addition if I'm happy the look and feel of the number of fish is right.

Maybe yes, but I'm conscious of overstocking. Not from a biological capacity - the plant density, filter efficiency and general fish size probably means I could double the quantity of fish and still not have that issue - but more from the tank just being too busy. I want it to look more towards the natural side of things, and not like a shop tank. So maybe both, with one of them as a later addition if I'm happy the look and feel of the number of fish is right.
You have a lot more restraint than me haha.

With Rainbowfish youd ideally want one male to two/three females although the chances of getting that ratio on a random order would be extremely low.

Thanks Rosie, I am heavily swaying towards the Dwarf Pencils if I'm honest, just because I've wanted to keep them for a long time and they are quite unique little fish.

I have looked at Rosy Loaches in the past and always liked them, so it might be worth me taking another look. 👍

The 'attitude' is the one thing that concerns me a little with the Pencils. I have read that the Marginatus are the least aggressive though. Keith did offer me Coral Reds Pencils and Purple Pencils, but whilst beautiful they would be slightly larger, and potentially more aggressive like the Beckfordi which seem to be most renowned for it - I'm sturggling to find much in the way of references online reporting aggression with the Marginatus, certainly outside of conspecifics.

There would be quite a few fish that will be a similar size of slightly larger than the Marginatus - I think they max out at 20-25mmm, so the Threadfins will be slightly larger, as will the Sedge tetras. Plus there is a lot of real estate for them to spread out over if any territorial aggression does occur. I seem to be talking myself into it 😂
I didn't find the marginatus pencils aggressive at all. The males would sometimes bicker if another male came into their little patch of the tank, but then they'd do a lovely dance together and that'd be it. They were some of the most curious fish I've kept and very entertaining with no personality or beauty downsides. They never had a go at any other fish, though they are quite greedy and fast for the food. Since you already have other tetras and big-finned beauties, I think they'd be the perfect final school. I'd get around 15 or 20 for your tank to start and see if you could breed some. They're also pretty cheap, and as you said not that big which is great. As soon as I set up my 90cm again I'll be getting some again.

I also kept some coral reds for a while and they were much nastier and snippier to each other than the marginatus, and though they are very beautiful I still prefered the marginatus fr the charming behaviour.

You have a lot more restraint than me haha.

With Rainbowfish youd ideally want one male to two/three females although the chances of getting that ratio on a random order would be extremely low.

Thanks Conor - I don't really have much restraint, I just tend to start from a place of idealism and then watch it slowly crumble around me 😂

I've read this several times but don't understand :lol:
In my approximately 20 years of on and off fish keeping. I've gone from not keeping them or understanding the appeal, to having almost exclusively corys in the last 2 years.

I do love Cory's, if it wasn't for the self-imposed size constraint of the stocking for this tank, I'd have a number of different cute faced cats - but in this either/or situation I've got to be picky here!

I didn't find the marginatus pencils aggressive at all. The males would sometimes bicker if another male came into their little patch of the tank, but then they'd do a lovely dance together and that'd be it. They were some of the most curious fish I've kept and very entertaining with no personality or beauty downsides. They never had a go at any other fish, though they are quite greedy and fast for the food. Since you already have other tetras and big-finned beauties, I think they'd be the perfect final school. I'd get around 15 or 20 for your tank to start and see if you could breed some. They're also pretty cheap, and as you said not that big which is great. As soon as I set up my 90cm again I'll be getting some again.

I also kept some coral reds for a while and they were much nastier and snippier to each other than the marginatus, and though they are very beautiful I still prefered the marginatus fr the charming behaviour.

Thanks Rosie, I think I've pretty much settled on the Pencils - it's an itch I've long wanted to scratch in keeping them, with the Rosy Tetra, and Rosy loach (too many Rosie's in one sentence?!) in reserve once @Conort2 persuades me I still haven't got enough fish 😂

Thanks Rosie, I think I've pretty much settled on the Pencils - it's an itch I've long wanted to scratch in keeping them, with the Rosy Tetra, and Rosy loach (too many Rosie's in one sentence?!) in reserve once @Conort2 persuades me I still haven't got enough fish 😂
Hell yeaahhhhh, you're gonna love them :)

Never too many Rosies!!! I'm really loving this little group I have, so active and inquisitive, often schooling with the other fish. They're also sexually dimorphic and breed well apparently which is great, I think @BigTom kept them in his Bucket of Mud. I can imagine them frolicking around with all your fish very well.

I think it's great that you are getting the fish in stages and going by vibes. You might end up with a lot more fish eventually, but it's nice not to do it all in one go and enjoy it evolving. It's lovely to have the space to be generous and still have so much space you could fill!

Question for the group: On the Threadfin Rainbows, I'm going to request a mix of males and females (as they are more easy to tell apart), if females are included in the shipment - does anyone have any idea what sort of ratio I should be aiming for - I can't find much in the way of answers online - most places seem to suggest the males don't particularly pursue or harass the females, with a number of owners reporting no issues with more males than females, so I was kind of thinking of about a 50:50 mix?
Treat them like guppy trios, More females than male. Though if you want them to spar and display more than add extra males.
Heres hoping they can get females for you. And that Wildwoods can get you some of the other colours and not just the yellow tailed.
And once they have settled in and Dominance has been established. The Dom Male will grow a big Spot on its Lower Jaw and will get dark Vertical Lines on its sides. so they look like tiger stripes

Last edited:
Back