• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
so would be an idea to buy lots of this stuff... well I know what my next post will be...
Its not cheap, here my tank when I had a fissidens carpet:

pict0181i.jpg

Carpet die off quite a lot now due to pellia overrun! have a look in my shrimp tank journal! tank had no ferts or CO2 and very rarely any water changes!

Carpet die off quite a lot now due to pellia overrun! have a look in my shrimp tank journal! tank had no ferts or CO2 and very rarely any water changes!
Thanks Paulo, that scape look amazing by the way. Love the positioning of those two stones, landscape or seiryu? that not important although it creates a very strong focal point and gives great dividing between the java and windelov :) Ill check out the shrimp tank ;)

Ha thank you guys,

@Ryan, this water level was because before I got my glass cover, bubbles would cause splashing onto the light unit. Obviously this wasn't desired, so till i got a cover sorted, I kept it low.

The cover really makes a LOT of
Difference. I have also added some TGM diffuser background to the cover, to reduce intensity of the light.

hubumuqe.jpg

And keep the light at an angle, to reduce algae :

5uvyhu9a.jpg

@ Jack

Ta mate, the close up photo just shown above is a bit dated now, but yeah it grows very slowly. Its the Fissidens 'Fox' variety.

Heres a photo as of now:
nezuvane.jpg

This is the Fissidens Fontanus variety:
The top half is recovering from a trim back, from which i have used the cuttings to grow on some 2x2 inch mesh as seen in the 1st photo.
Bottom half due a trim soon:

ebena9ys.jpg

I cut the taiwan moss right back, as it grows like mad, and has grippers of the tips, which grabs hold of everything, like substrate and hardscape:

9a2u4y5u.jpg

I now prefer the texture, and because I cut it back extremely hard, its slowed growth somewhat.

Cheers,

Fissidens 'Fox' variety
This is my fav IMO. love the strand formation :) ill have to have a think.. I wonder if I can get enough from others to start off with.. Ill have to see. Its coming along really nicely Nath. Nice one bud.

Tank is looking great Nat ;)
Thanks Paulo,

In comparison to your fissidens carpet above, my tank is mediocre at best :eek:

Loving that!

@ jack,

Yes. I prefer the Fox, although some argue there is little difference between the two, I believe fox maintains a smaller 'leaf' so to speak, and the strands are less 'leggy' than the fontanus.

I've got 3 of these meshes growing out with fontanus on, might throw them in my main tank to get a little boost ;)

n comparison to your fissidens carpet above, my tank is mediocre at best
Yours looks healthy mate, took me over two years to grow that! lol so patience is key with fissidens! lol

Ahhh I see nath I thought it was just as simple but wasn't sure if you had some CRS trade secret

Seems like a hell of a lot of mular to lay out on a light to have it at a funky angle.....so yeh...erm...you should sell it and buy a 11w clip on ....I know someone that may be interested ... ;) haha

Ahhh I see nath I thought it was just as simple but wasn't sure if you had some CRS trade secret

Seems like a hell of a lot of mular to lay out on a light to have it at a funky angle.....so yeh...erm...you should sell it and buy a 11w clip on ....I know someone that may be interested ... ;) haha

Thats the thing, its THAT expensive, it looks great whichever way you put it :lol:

Just found this journal. Love it. I have been considering adding air for a few weeks and this has convinced me. I have a aquanano tank with sump hidden behind the back wall (same as ady34) I was wondering whether there will be any issues for the pump if I run the air in the pump chamber.

Just found this journal. Love it. I have been considering adding air for a few weeks and this has convinced me. I have a aquanano tank with sump hidden behind the back wall (same as ady34) I was wondering whether there will be any issues for the pump if I run the air in the pump chamber.

Thanks mate, ad some air, your shrimp will definitely improve!

Cheers,

ze7a7a6a.jpg

Hi Nat, Just re-scaped my eheim aqua style 35 nano and looking at getting some crs ........ whats the reason for the air?

Its well documented that CRS do better in water extremely rich in oxygen. They breed more readily, show better colour and are less shy than in low oxygenated tanks.

Air pumps aren't 100% necessary, but will obviously aid oxygen content somewhat.

I find it particularly useful, as the tank cabinet is basically my 'bedside table' so cannot have the filter return pipe raised as high as I would like.

Cheers,

Back