• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank green algae outbreak

The blackout is complete.

AfterBlackout.jpe

The difference is amazing.

I did a 3 day blackout followed by a 60 to 70% water change and cleaned both filters.

The external coarse filter was FULL of hair algae. The small spots of BGA I had have gone too.

It now looks much more realistic in terms of the clean up crew keeping on top of what hair algae may be left.

I'm not going to follow up with the Interpret Anti-Hair Algae, as I am concerned that it may affect the shrimp. Instead, I will add more Amano shrimp. If it looks like it is coming back, I will go for another blackout.

I'm certain some of the plants have grown in the dark! The Rotala Rotundifolia at the back needs a trim, but I am tempted to keep some plant mass for now. I will trim one third, to avoid shocking the system too much.

I have ordered some new floating plants - Salvinia Natans 1-2 Grow, as the pre-blackout plants were full of algae and snails. I have temporarily turned down the lighting, but plan to turn back to the level I was at before (4/24), once they have arrived. I have turned CO2 up. Glosso growing leggy (before blackout) which indicates low light (plan to take it out).

I'm sorry about all of the equipment in the tank. I've now moved all of the fish into this tank. I realise this will increase the organic load, but I can add the second filter and inline heater in next weekend. This will also mean the flow will be increased and more consistent across the tank (both spray bars across the back pointing forward).

To add air, I'm running a small pump with Venturi attached overnight on a timer, but plan to replace with external air pump shortly.

Attachments

• AfterBlackout.jpe
    AfterBlackout.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • AfterBlackout.jpe
    AfterBlackout.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • AfterBlackout.jpe
    AfterBlackout.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
  • AfterBlackout.jpe
    AfterBlackout.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
Tank does look very clean :)

I'm certain some of the plants have grown in the dark!
there's some discussion on this is a recent (weeks not days ;) ) thread ...some plants can do this dark period "elongation" - others not so much, of course plants must also have the available stored "energy" .

keeping on top of what hair algae may be left.
I'd add red-nose shrimps - they seem much more interested in hair algae & are a fun species to watch

I'm sorry about all of the equipment in the tank.
What equipment :confused:
... oh you mean the stuff that lives in my tanks, too :lol:
(the obstacles to my taking of photos are mountainous - get new camera & deal with reflections AND remove equipment :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - I'm so admiring of those that get the camera out & POST! )

I missed this somewhere :oops:
tank dimensions?
livestock?

there's some discussion on this is a recent (weeks not days ;) ) thread ...some plants can do this dark period "elongation" - others not so much, of course plants must also have the available stored "energy" .

I'd add red-nose shrimps - they seem much more interested in hair algae & are a fun species to watch

I missed this somewhere :oops:
tank dimensions?
livestock?

Alto, thanks for replying.

The plants do look stretched rather than bushier. Perhaps trying to grow out of the shade.

I'll look out for the red-nose shrimp.

Tank dims: 80cm W x 45cm D x 40 cm H (144 litres)

Livestock:
Danio Choprae x 9
Otocinculus x 4
Nerite snails x 2
Amano shrimp ? Ten purchased but not seen more than 5 at any one time since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion all you problems were caused by excessive amount of nutrients. You've:
a) used one of the most rich in nutrients substrates available,
b) dosed additional nutrients on top of that,
c) had freshly planted plants, which in initial period after planting don't use that much nutrient anyway
d) short photoperiod which wasn't giving plants the chance to use the nutrients
e) used liquid carbon which will never be as effective as co2,
f) poor water changes, which let the nutrients + ammonia build up to happen
All them factors eventually lead to what you have seen. You need to be very careful with co2, ligh, nutrients dosing, water changes and keep them all in balance otherwise imbalance will eventually lead to an algae bloom.

Konrad, I completely agree with you. I need to re-think my whole approach. Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion your approach wasn't bad at all. You just didn't follow the water changes regime in the early days after starting up the tank, which with ADA substrate seems to be crucial. First 2-3 weeks I don't even try to dose anything apart from co2, K - everything else is in the soil. After about 3 weeks if everything goes fine I slowly start introducing micro nutrients. And just afer 7-8 weeks first doses of N. If possible I also use air pump to give as much oxygen as my freshly growing colony of nitrifying bacterias needs. Before you do something just seat, have a pint of good beer/cider and think whether it all make sense. Don't always follow what people say or do as each aquarium is different and because something work for me or you it doesn't have to work for your mate or the other way round. And doesn't matter what will happen be patient and only adjust one thing at the time.

Since the blackout three weeks ago, the Rhizoclonium has come back, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

I know it is strongly recommended that you change one thing at a time, but I decided to complete the set up, then give the tank proper time to mature. I think there was too much fertiliser in the water column for the amount of light and CO2.

- Removed the internal filter and added the second external filter (with in line heater). Dramatic improvement in flow.
- Trying to remove algae on a daily basis. Hoping that by keep setting it back, long term this will help to weaken it.
- Decreased dramatically the amount of additional fertiliser I am adding, for now.
- Dropped the light intensity to 3/24 (from 4/24). Sounds extreme but plants pearling and growing well.
- Increased CO2 bubble rate
- Stopped changing plants, which was adding to organics
- Increased trimming plants, to give them good structure and then keep on top of them. Remove algae infested leaves.
- Added Salvinia Natans 1-2 Grow pot (threw half the plants away yesterday as covering two thirds of the surface within three weeks)
- Added three more Amano shrimp
- Added air pump on a timer which comes on overnight.

Fundamentally, I think that there was too much goodness in the water column (I've not done enough water changes initially). I will gradually increase fertilisation over time (keeping an eye on floating plants).

I haven't beaten this, but I am more hopeful.

Thank you all again for your advice.

The following picture was taken at night with air pump running.

FTSatnight.jpe

Back