• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New rocks. What do you think about it ?

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi members,

This afternoon I went to buy rocks on the shore of the Congo river.
I have found two different type of rock.
People are going in the water and extract these to sell it.

Do you think that these rock would have an nice effect in a scape ??

The first
e9a2ahur.jpg

The second
e9u9yzyb.jpg

ehaduneb.jpg

I hope that I will have good feed back on this one. Because all the nice stones I found here are not good for planted tank.

Thanks

Look good to me. Interesting colour and textures. Size will obviously be important too.

For the size you can have from 3 cm to 50 cm.

So do you think it's an interesting one ?
Do you think it could go along with wood or it will have a better effect alone ?
I just took five stones to take picture to put it on ukaps, to see if I have good feedback. If the feedback is ok I will go and buy some more and different size. They are thousands of stone expos there.

Thanks for your answer

Look good to me. Interesting colour and textures. Size will obviously be important too.

For the size you can have from 3 cm to 50 cm.

So do you think it's an interesting one ?
Do you think it could go along with wood or it will have a better effect alone ?
I just took five stones to take picture to put it on ukaps, to see if I have good feedback. If the feedback is ok I will go and buy some more and different size. They are thousands of stone expos there.

Thanks for your answer

I really like the texture of these. The warm colours would go very well with wood. I'd be very happy to have those in a tank. Do you know what sort of rocks they are? Would they change the water composition?

I really like the texture of these. The warm colours would go very well with wood. I'd be very happy to have those in a tank. Do you know what sort of rocks they are? Would they change the water composition?
Hello

I don't think they will after water chemistry.
I am not a geologist, but if it is in Congo river for years and years and that the rock is not melting in that soft water, like limestone would. It could be a neutral stone.
Hope that Alaster could give an help on this one.

I will put a pic of these stone when they are dry, like that it could give a better idea.
For now it s the only rock that I have found here that could be nice for Aquascape.

Cheers

Here is some shots with stone dry and half dry half wet

gu6e6uzy.jpg

qenusysy.jpg

zyjeravu.jpg

my6ytu2u.jpg

The touch is very soft and in some place it s like the product girls put on their nails (varnish) I don't know if it is the good word.
You can't scratch the stone with a key or a metal stick.
So it won't alter the water chemistry.

Cheers

It's always hard to tell with water worn rocks. You'd get a better idea by breaking a piece open and seeing what it looks inside. I think most of the Congo basin is made up of various different layers of sedimentary rocks. It depends how much you really want to know. You could just put some in a jug of water and see what happens!

It's always hard to tell with water worn rocks. You'd get a better idea by breaking a piece open and seeing what it looks inside. I think most of the Congo basin is made up of various different layers of sedimentary rocks. It depends how much you really want to know. You could just put some in a jug of water and see what happens!

Hi Squid,

thanks for your input.
What should i be looking on the inside of the rock if I break it ?
Best regards.

What should i be looking on the inside of the rock if I break it ?

I'm not a geologist either! But I do remember that sedimentary rocks can be made up of various components - clay/silt, sand, gravel, minerals, fossils... By looking at a freshly broken piece you could look for grain size, quartz, feldspar, shell or plant fragments etc. Some rocks are more obvious but others would still need a trained eye. I've just been playing about on this sedimentary rock id website and scored 4 out of 12: Sedimentary Rock Identification

I'm not a geologist either! But I do remember that sedimentary rocks can be made up of various components - clay/silt, sand, gravel, minerals, fossils... By looking at a freshly broken piece you could look for grain size, quartz, feldspar, shell or plant fragments etc. Some rocks are more obvious but others would still need a trained eye. I've just been playing about on this sedimentary rock id website and scored 4 out of 12: Sedimentary Rock Identification

Hi,
I have been looking to all the stones of your link, and it doesnt look like one of these stone (texture).
So you would advice me to put a stone in water with Kh and Gh < 1 (my tap water is like that) and after a week to make a Gh Kh test to see if it has raise ?
thanks mate

is there any geologist on ukaps ?

cheers

Hi all,
I like the colour, and I don't know what rock they are, but the way they've been smoothed by the water would suggest that they are pretty hard, and hard rocks can't have much effect on water chemistry.

cheers Darrel

I was thinking the same than you Darrel !!!
I tried to scratch it with a good blade but no result it has dammage the blade and no scratch or something on the rock.

cheers

Back