• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

More wood...

1601319565976.jpeg

Not sure if this is an improvement or not. Left some gaps between rocks at substrate level at startup for this scenario in case any particular pieces in AG caught the eye and could be retrofitted, but found some manzanita in the garage that had been forgot about so popped them in instead.

One thing that is a certainty is some of the fissidens on the wood just looks wrong running full length, could skim off the moss from the tips of the branches so it doesn’t look so odd. Trimming moss is a personal pet hate so the less the better. Waiting for the Christmas moss to sprawl out onto the sand to soften the base before making any changes moss wise though.

1601320286487.jpeg

Also considering letting some of the MC sprawl out onto the sand to further the transition into the sand. Probably all jobs for next month.

To be honest not convinced on the new wood just yet maybe a few more pics would help decide 🤔

In context @Jayefc1 :

1601323371124.jpeg

Since replanting the AS600 the AS1200 just looked out of place. Despite what others may think, still consider the 1200 low planting. Wood may currently look odd now exposed high up:

1601323897989.jpeg

But once everything is positioned will let the stems have their way and there won’t be much manzanita left exposed so trying to prevent the scape becoming featureless:

1601324047133.jpeg

Still want some wood sticking out the top and from the intended curve you can see how little would remain. Need the plant mass though if this scape is to be longer term. Considering going full EI for a bit to pump things up.

The alternative for increasing plant mass is to remove the sand and plant a carpet, but quite frankly, ain’t masochistic enough to endure that torment. Floating plants are out as Co2 is fine tuned between trims by slightly varying the surface agitation, floaters make that method more risky and less reliable.

Know there’s a better scape to be found here but still mulling it over.

Wish I could get my MC to grow like that, second that, even half as good as that

Found it easier to handle planted as an epiphyte Sam. After this setup would use it this way from now on and consider mini hair grass as the go to carpet plant.

That's one awesome scape.. Great work

Cheers @adavin

Hoping to make it better these coming months.

Found it easier to handle planted as an epiphyte Sam. After this setup would use it this way from now on and consider mini hair grass as the go to carpet plant.

Thanks Geoff, do you glue the mc to the hardscape then or simply try to wedge it? I have actually just moved some Hairgrass from the scapers tank to the 900 as I thought I may fare better with it

Thanks Geoff, do you glue the mc to the hardscape then or simply try to wedge it? I have actually just moved some Hairgrass from the scapers tank to the 900 as I thought I may fare better with it //emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji4.png

Yes, all the above and more. MC is like Orville the duck...

1601459594605.jpeg

“I wish I could fly....”

MC just wants to fly away. Your job is to stop it 😂

Whether it’s coming home to an entire carpet that’s achieved a lift off that NASA would be proud of, to sections pearling so hard that it’s lifted up and is flapping around like Donald Trump’s wig in the wind... had the pleasure of experiencing it.

Would say at this point though it doesn’t matter how you keep it down, try multiple methods at once.

Trimming regularly is a must if it’s in soil so it doesn’t become buoyant. If used as a carpet, lift up, break up and plant as plugs again periodically. If sticking to hardscape, glue it on. On this scape the MC came from an old scape so had moss mixed in with it, luckily the moss has attached to the rock anchoring it down. Just wrapped the MC around pebbles and placed them at the beginning. As it’s grown off the rocks and dangled down have periodically glued small rocks to the MC behind what you see to keep it weighed down where it trails off the rocks.

If it were dragon stone you could stuff it in the pockets. Usually note when other’s do this they keep it trimmed down to a sliver of MC, not huge domes of the stuff like in this 1200. Anything goes really, MC ain’t no epiphyte despite how it’s being used so get creative.

Last edited:
Cheers for the detailed reply, I'll give it another bash, I still have small remnants left over that are growing so we'll see, but as you say it doesnt like to stay where its put. Caught in the skimmer everyday when I come home.

Yes, all the above and more. MC is like Orville the duck...

View attachment 154664

“I wish I could fly....”

MC just wants to fly away. Your job is to stop it 😂

Whether it’s coming home to an entire carpet that’s achieved a lift off that NASA would be proud of, to sections pearling so hard that it’s lifted up and is flapping around like Donald Trump’s wig in the wind... had the pleasure of experiencing it.

Would say at this point though it doesn’t matter how you keep it down, try multiple methods at once.

Trimming regularly is a must if it’s in soil so it doesn’t become buoyant. If used as a carpet, lift up, break up and plant as plugs again periodically. If sticking to hardscape, glue it on. On this scape the MC came from an old scape so had moss mixed in with it, luckily the moss has attached to the rock anchoring it down. Just wrapped the MC around pebbles and placed them at the beginning. As it’s grown off the rocks and dangled down have periodically glued small rocks to the MC behind what you see to keep it weighed down where it trails off the rocks.

If it were dragon stone you could stuff it in the pockets. Usually note when other’s do this they keep it trimmed down to a sliver of MC, not huge domes of the stuff like in this 1200. Anything goes really, MC ain’t no epiphyte despite how it’s being used so get creative.
1601471822564.png

Popped to AG today.

Anubias nana 'Pinto' and Anubias Barteri var. nana 'Snow White':

1602178190952.jpeg

Both part of the limited edition range but still in stock at Aquarium Gardens if you like something different.

It comes in vitro @Jayefc1

Managed thirteen portions like this out of this particular pot:

View attachment 155050

Dotted them around the tank in different locations to see how they perform.
Am I right in thinking that due to the colour and lack of chlorophyll in the leaves they could be challenging to grow and very slow? Ie an algae magnet for someone like me

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking that due to the colour and lack of chlorophyll in the leaves they could be challenging to grow and very slow? Ie an algae magnet for someone like me

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

don’t worry it’ll look lovely with a nice black fringe growing on it - a new species maybe....?

stick it in a pot.....this time next year Roders.......! 👍😃

Back