• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's 30cm Iwagumi - 'Mono'

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - 'Mono' [Planted 25/05/10]

It's a chemical substance, and highly toxic. I used to work as a paintball marshal and if you breathed it in you knew about it. The stuff used to kill grass if you spilt it on it so I'm guessing that's a no go.

A frosted background gets my vote, I think that'd look spot on.

Been away for a bit, just caught up. Looking brilliant. Hope you don't come down with a nasty case of "actually I like aquatic plants emergent more than submerged" disease like me :lol:

TBRO said:
Been away for a bit, just caught up. Looking brilliant. Hope you don't come down with a nasty case of "actually I like aquatic plants emergent more than submerged" disease like me :lol:

Cheers T :D

I've joined the club (although not in the same league as you);

img1992d.jpg

img1994e.jpg

Cool, far better than the lame plants you get at IKEA. Ludwigia is a great emergent. T

TBRO said:
Cool, far better than the lame plants you get at IKEA

It was an IKEA plant :lol:! Just 'improved' it with some Florabase, Tropica Aquacare and some Osmocote. Bit OTT but I had some kicking around. I want to try some UG next maybe get some 1-2-GROW stuff.

Thought I would put these up as they're all part of my new 'emersed experience' :lol:

img2004p.jpg

The Frankenstein IKEA Ludwigia
img2006fa.jpg

img2007lm.jpg

Went for the big trim, having to hack it and replant back to give the pogo a chance.
img2009.jpg

Just thought I'd share some pictures.

Cool, I've never tried pogostemon. The sun recently has been awesome for just growing things on the windowsill. T

Finally finished assembling, priming and sanding my new cabinet for the new setup which means next week my step-father-in-law will take it to the auto repair shop for a nice coating of 'ADA grey' :thumbup: .

The dry start has been running for 5 weeks now, running carbon in the mature filter in my old tank ready to go to suck up excess ammonia. I think the crypts are going to be a pain for another transition but hopefully they'll survive.

Great to see my plans coming together! Had to put a quick snap of the tank and cabinet finally joined in harmony :lol: :geek: Got a bit excited :shh:

img2045l.jpg

img2046d.jpg

And no the tank isn't staying next to my bed :lol:

For me its really surreal to see an ADA style setup 'in the flesh' as it were as my only experience is from the internet :oops:. Well impressed :thumbup:

Cheers for looking,
Neil

NeilW said:
Finally finished assembling, priming and sanding my new cabinet for the new setup which means next week my step-father-in-law will take it to the auto repair shop for a nice coating of 'ADA grey' :thumbup: .

The dry start has been running for 5 weeks now, running carbon in the mature filter in my old tank ready to go to suck up excess ammonia. I think the crypts are going to be a pain for another transition but hopefully they'll survive.

Great to see my plans coming together! Had to put a quick snap of the tank and cabinet finally joined in harmony :lol: :geek: Got a bit excited :shh:

img2045l.jpg

img2046d.jpg

And no the tank isn't staying next to my bed :lol:

For me its really surreal to see an ADA style setup 'in the flesh' as it were as my only experience is from the internet :oops:. Well impressed :thumbup:

Cheers for looking,
Neil
That's beautiful mate, what a superb job on both the cabinet and scape :thumbup:

JamesM said:
That's beautiful mate, what a superb job on both the cabinet and scape :thumbup:
totally agree :thumbup: .

Wow.......Looking great!! you've done a brilliant job on the cabinet and the scape, well done mate!! :thumbup:
Absolutely class!!

JamesM said:
Cheers very much mate, I doubt I would have got as good a finish on the cabinet with the hinges and paint without your advice. Those hinges have worked a treat, I didn't realise they're unsprung though so I may use a magnetic catch or could just leave them as is.

Found out the whole thing is really top heavy so I think I'll be using one of those IKEA style metal 'L' brackets to fix it to the wall just to be sure! It could be OK once theres some weight at the bottom from the filter, or maybe use some little feet?

nelson said:
...totally agree :thumbup: .
Cheers :D

B7fec said:
Wow.......Looking great!! you've done a brilliant job on the cabinet and the scape, well done mate!! :thumbup:
Absolutely class!!
Thanks for such great feedback! :thumbup:

Wow, that is sweet Neil. Perfect finish. I worried about the top heavy thing when I made my far more amateur looking one. However once the tank has water in it and there`s an external in the bottom it´ll be rock solid. Any chance of a cheeky peek inside ?

TBRO said:
Wow, that is sweet Neil. Perfect finish. I worried about the top heavy thing when I made my far more amateur looking one. However once the tank has water in it and there`s an external in the bottom it´ll be rock solid. Any chance of a cheeky peek inside ?
Thanks T :D

Thats reassuring about the weight, I think I'll set it up and see how I go. I forget you made that awesome cabinet in red! How tall was it?

I'll try and get some more pictures up soon of the inside too. Just bought some acrylic tubs to screw to the inside for storage as in my last one had shelf which I'll miss. Nano cabinet = no space :lol:

LondonDragon said:
Looks awesome :) the cabinet came out really good and the scape is excellent :) well done
Thank you LD, glad you like it :thumbup: Been following your beast of a journal recently to look for some tips of a shrimpy nature but the scape itself has turned into a real stunner. Great work.

ghostsword said:
The scape is really good, Good choice of plants, and they go very well with the rocks. The small beach is also very good.. :)
Cheers Luis :). Fingers crossed for when it goes underwater - I hope the plants are up to the job! I'll be glad to fill it actually as all the sand on the beach area is getting a touch of green so hopefully the snails will clean it up well. Either that or I'll refresh it with a touch of new sand. It's good that theres plenty of biofilm for grazing which I was worried I would be lacking from a DSM but theres flecks of GSA, brown algae, green algae and even mould! With my vegetarian crew I bet it'll be shiny clean in a week.

Sorry about the dodgy snaps guys, when its all up and running I'll try and make a bit more of an effort with the photos I promise :oops:

Hey Neil, mine was 1 m tall + 30 cm of tank on top. Mine certainly was so small inside that it influenced the size of filter I could have! Eheim classic is a good choice in every way IMO, T

TBRO said:
Hey Neil, mine was 1 m tall + 30 cm of tank on top. Mine certainly was so small inside that it influenced the size of filter I could have! Eheim classic is a good choice in every way IMO, T

Thats good to hear that yours was even taller yet still stable :thumbup: By the looks of it you had solid wood flooring though whilst I got carpet so that could be an issue?

My old cabinet made my filter choice too but I went with the Ecco Pro 130. If I had to make the same decision again I would have gone for the Classic; don't get me wrong the 130 is silent and hasn't missed a beat yet *touch wood* BUT the self priming handle rarely works as it can't expel the last bit of air so I end up priming it myself. So basically the extra frills aren't worth the extra money. Maybe its the 'made in china' that people were saying about them but other then the priming issue the build quality is great... On the whole not bad for my first external, its quiet, reliable and taught me the mechanics of how to use one. This sounds like a good excuse to create another nano to use my 130 on and get a Classic for this one :lol:

Some cabinet photos;

Front
img2053al.jpg

Right
img2055f.jpg

Back
img2056vg.jpg

Left
img2057k.jpg

Inside
img2058fc.jpg

Corner Detail
img2060v.jpg

Possible ADA grey match Dulux 'Night Jewels 3' (background is the primer)
img2061jz.jpg

Sorry its a bit picture heavy, thought I'd give you the full 360 tour (including your inside cabinet shot T :lol: )

Cheers,
Neil

NeilW said:
Some cabinet photos;

Front
img2053al.jpg

Right
img2055f.jpg

Back
img2056vg.jpg

Left
img2057k.jpg

Inside
img2058fc.jpg

Corner Detail
img2060v.jpg

Possible ADA grey match Dulux 'Night Jewels 3' (background is the primer)
img2061jz.jpg

Sorry its a bit picture heavy, thought I'd give you the full 360 tour (including your inside cabinet shot T :lol: )

Cheers,
Neil

Im loveing these ada knock offs lol there great! Keep it up.

Back