• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's 30cm Iwagumi - 'Mono'

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - "Mono" [Planted 25/05/10]

Seems to take plants a few weeks to settle into emerged growth but once they start to grow the results are very good. Looking foreword to this one. T

TBRO said:
Seems to take plants a few weeks to settle into emerged growth but once they start to grow the results are very good. Looking foreword to this one. T

Your right on this one T, all the species I've kept seem to have an acclimatising period both emersed and submerged where they don't do much and then BOOM. Got some noticeable growth though from the moss and hairgrass but the crypts are struggling. Tempted to go for a flood then drain tomorrow just to rinse out any nasties. Started to get mould a couple of days back but since decreasing the humidity and airing it out its stopped for now.

Tonser said:
Hi Neil

Great journal you have here, and a great tank too - I love the scaping. I look forward to seeing some fresh pics of the growing in :)

Tony

Cheers Tony, thats a nice compliment as I'm in awe of the rockwork in your new tank :thumbup:

I'll try and be more lively with some more pictures in the next week - been too busy in the last couple of days with the stressful task of moving both this tank and my old setup to my new house so I'll give both tanks some TLC to make up for the bumpy journey :lol:.

Thanks again for the feedback :D
Neil

Nothing much to report, just thought I'd post some images to demonstrate how painfully slow it is :lol:. I always need some pretty pictures to keep me entertained too.

some moss growth (imagine that this was flush with the stone like when moss stones are when first tied)
img1925o.jpg

hairgrass roots and runners
img1924h.jpg

Had an experiment too with my first flood for an hour then drain to try and discourage mould and reduce ammonia. Will try and keep this up for a few days.

Thanks for looking,
Neil

Is it getting any sunlight at all? Are you growing it out under a halogen did I see? It'll come good, just a bit more time yet haha.

Garuf said:
Is it getting any sunlight at all? Are you growing it out under a halogen did I see? It'll come good, just a bit more time yet haha.

It was but sadly I moved house on Sunday :lol: Sadly I've not got a lot of room for manoeuvre, I've gone down in space so this tank lives on my desk in the bedroom whilst my old setup is in the living room, neither of which get direct sunlight.

It's on a 20w halogen, maybe worth buying a beefier desk lamp to nuke it?

Yeah, a flouro tube might be better, it's always been said that halogens are pretty awful at growing plants all that wattage going into heat rather than usable light.

Bit of an update (sorry about the nasty reflections) ;

img1984p.jpg

Got some good moss and hairgrass growth although the Crytocoryne Nevellii at the back has been melting quite dramatically was in its submerged form when I planted it. Hopefully it'll recover.
img1988gz.jpg

Added an 11w arcpod in addition to the 20w desk lamp for some extra oomph
img1990v.jpg

Coming in the post I got myself a very nice looking vintage Anglepoise from Ebay which will hopefully look great over the tank. I've got my eye on a couple of different CFL bulbs that should fit but I was after some advice as to what wattage ( o_O ) would be best for this setup, either 11watt or 15watt? Bearing in mind I wouldn't be running CO2 and its over a volume of 17 litres.

Due to the crypt melt I may flood it in a weeks time, what do you think?

Any help welcome :D

NeilW said:
Bit of an update (sorry about the nasty reflections) ;

img1984p.jpg
that looks brilliant as it is :D .

do you need water in it :p .

your crypt will recover after some time
good job!

Screw water, throw in some tree frogs :D
I love this tank, will almost be a shame to see it filled :lol:

LondonDragon said:
That is looking really really good ;)

Thanks very much LD , glad you like it :D

nelson said:
that looks brilliant as it is :D .

do you need water in it :p .

Thanks nelson, I'm too impatient to not fill it! I've managed to master mold control though (which seems like the land version of algae :lol:) which I'm impressed with!

Jur4ik said:
your crypt will recover after some time
good job!

Cheers! I'm tempted to keep up with the dry start and trust in the crypt recovering. Trouble is its like playing chicken because I don't want it to die off completely before I decide to fill it...

I think I'll hold on!

verchap said:
textures are awesome

Thank you, I'm liking the texture of the moss. Hopefully it keeps the similar texture to terrestrial moss which in really liking at the moment :thumbup:

mr. luke said:
Screw water, throw in some tree frogs :D
I love this tank, will almost be a shame to see it filled :lol:

Was very tempted. Trouble is I couldn't be dealing with the bugs you have to feed them :lol:

And the tanks a bit small for them. Looks great, keep it going!

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - 'Mono' [Planted 25/05/10]

saintly said:
this is a quality set up Neil. Looks great as it is!
:thumbup: Thanks very much Mark.

I do like the idea of a proper 'scaped terrarium but its a shame you can't get the same clean look you can get from a planted tank, all the condensation on the glass just gets in the way of the view. :thumbdown:

Yeah condensations a real issue for me but I've been doing some reading and if you have a went on the front good light and a fan it keeps it dry, it does strike me as added equipment though. I'm certain you can get anti condensation films but I've not been able to find any.

Garuf said:
Yeah condensations a real issue for me but I've been doing some reading and if you have a went on the front good light and a fan it keeps it dry, it does strike me as added equipment though. I'm certain you can get anti condensation films but I've not been able to find any.

You may be able to find out what they use for scuba or paintball masks? Could be a chemical thing they use though which obviously wouldn't be good.

Had a better new idea of positioning the lily pipes at the back right of the tank so the flow is directed at the front glass and then deflected which should create more circular flow. My previous idea of having them on the right hand side would create more dead spots from the big rock. The downside to this would be having to keep my pipes super clean as they would be visible in the background :thumbdown:

What do you guys think for a background finish? Frosted? Black? Although I'm really into the plain 'glass box' look a black background could make the shapes of the rocks stand out and the colours 'pop'.

Back