• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's 30cm Iwagumi - 'Mono'

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - "Mono" [Hardscaped 29/04/10]

Hi, I agree with Sanj.

I got both on my tank, and the Wendtii overshowed the parva in no time. As I got both potted on 15 cm pots, it was easy to move them about.

Also, Wendtii will grow towards the light, long leaves, and Parva will creep and remain much short.

I would place them on opposites sides of the tank, allowing for a slope of Crypts

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - "Mono" [Hardscaped 29/04/10]

sanj said:
Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but i think the wendtii will hide the parva in your plan. I would put the wendtii at the back and parva in front of it. I have found that parva grows more slowly aswell.

ghostsword said:
Hi, I agree with Sanj.

I got both on my tank, and the Wendtii overshowed the parva in no time. As I got both potted on 15 cm pots, it was easy to move them about.

Also, Wendtii will grow towards the light, long leaves, and Parva will creep and remain much short.

I would place them on opposites sides of the tank, allowing for a slope of Crypts

I agree with you guys, I clicked the other week that it would be too big and had a redrawn plan but forgot to post it up :thumbdown: I also realised that the plant that I'd previously bought thinking it was Parva was actually Cryptocoryne Willisii ! The colour change and size gave it away. Thats good to know that Parva stays small for a long time though as my intention is to have some in front of the Willisii.

Heres an updated plan;
img1888l.jpg

I think I'm going to order the plants in tomorrow if this all seems good?

Cheers,
Neil

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - "Mono" [Planted 25/05/10]

Today all my plants came in the post at once! Some great quality stuff from both TGM and Aquashrimps.

Bucket o' plants (minus the moss) = 2 x Anubias Nana 'petite', 1 x Cryptocoryne Parva, 1 x Cryptocoryne × Willisii, 1 x dwarf hairgrass
img1889zv.jpg

Getting ready to roll;
img1891j.jpg

Broken lavastone - I learnt from my previous tank that moss doesn't like shiny graded gravels :thumbdown:
img1900wr.jpg

Never owned a plant before that could be 'glued' so one Anubias stuck in a cranny on the back of the big rock just because I could, and a little surprise after you looked at the tank from the front;
img1899t.jpg

This is to show you how 'mini' the 'mini' spiky moss is that I managed to get hold of;
img1902eo.jpg

Planting complete 8)
img1904m.jpg

Timer set for 10 hours a day
img1910q.jpg

So the full plantlist;
Anubias nana 'petite'
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne × willisii,
Eleocharis parvula - dwarf hairgrass
Riccardia chamedryfolia - coral pellia
Taxiphyllum sp. - 'mini' spiky moss

Any critique welcome as always :thumbup:
Neil

Yay plants are in :D it looks good. i like the mini spiky moss.

Excellent tank :) hardscape and planting spot on, I also got some of that mini spiky moss a few weeks back, its growing nicely and an amazing moss indeed :)

Krish's Bettas said:
Yay plants are in :D it looks good. i like the mini spiky moss.

Cheers Krish, I'm really interested to see how the moss grow's out. Took a while to research and find someone that sells the sort of thing I was after so hopefully it'll look the part.

George Farmer said:
Wow! Great journal. Not sure how I missed this one!

The hardscape selection, prep work and positioning is excellent and the plant choice is superb.

This is one to watch for sure.

Thanks very much for such incredible feedback George! I think it can only go downhill from here :lol:

I'll try to keep the journal updated, but I think its got a good month or so of emersed growth before its filled with water so I think any updates soon would be like watching grass grow (literally!). Hopefully being patient will mean a smooth transition for when its filled though.

patzu said:
Great! Looks absolute naturally!

Thanks Patzu. Thats great to hear that effect has come across as I tried to go for a more natural transition between the different species groups when I was planting. Hopefully my plant selection will mean nothing grows massive and over-shadows the rest, but I'll keep on top of trimming.

samc said:
excellent hardscape and planting.

ill look foward to seeing it in a couple of months time :D

Thank you Sam :) . I think I've found out that this aquascaping business is a big waiting game :crazy:

LondonDragon said:
Excellent tank :) hardscape and planting spot on, I also got some of that mini spiky moss a few weeks back, its growing nicely and an amazing moss indeed :)

Cheers LD :D, I'm always aiming to provide a shrimpy-paradise with the same success as your tanks.

Excellent to hear that the moss grows well, is it a fast or slow grower?

NeilW said:
Cheers LD :D, I'm always aiming to provide a shrimpy-paradise with the same success as your tanks.
Lets hope not as much success as I been having the last couple of months! My main tank due to CO2 issues turned to crap, my shrimp tank is turning to mud again and my CRS have not all disappeared, I managed to kill all 200 (bar a few) cherries I have in my nano tank last friday!

NeilW said:
Excellent to hear that the moss grows well, is it a fast or slow grower?
I got a little 3x4cm mesh about 2 weeks ago and its has doubled in size in a tank with no dosing at all and just 11w light. I am going to trim a portion of it and attach to my high tech tank and see the difference, seems to grow pretty well though.

LondonDragon said:
Lets hope not as much success as I been having the last couple of months! My main tank due to CO2 issues turned to crap, my shrimp tank is turning to mud again and my CRS have not all disappeared, I managed to kill all 200 (bar a few) cherries I have in my nano tank last friday!

Thats rubbish news :thumbdown: That must have been bad to have killed 200 cherries. Wish you better luck for the future, I'm sure you'll make a great comeback! Where its turned to mud does it mean you have to completely tear it down?

LondonDragon said:
I got a little 3x4cm mesh about 2 weeks ago and its has doubled in size in a tank with no dosing at all and just 11w light. I am going to trim a portion of it and attach to my high tech tank and see the difference, seems to grow pretty well though.

Sounds great! Mine will be on an 11w light and I wont be going for CO2 injection, but will be providing with plenty of all round ferts. I ended up getting 4 lots of 4 x 4 portions and it was just enough with nothing to spare.

NeilW said:
Thats rubbish news :thumbdown: That must have been bad to have killed 200 cherries. Wish you better luck for the future, I'm sure you'll make a great comeback! Where its turned to mud does it mean you have to completely tear it down?
Yeah means I have to remove the soil and replace it with something else, next time going to use gravel/sand, been using it for 7 years in my Rio and it never turned to mud haha :p

Yeah was painful to watch the cherries, have a video too! it was either an ammonia spike from the hang filter that I touched prior to the shrimp going nuts or a small water change straight from the tap. Loosing the 40+ Red and Black S grade Crystals was even more painful (also to my wallet).

Just a reminder to myself for when its finally flooded;

- fill and empty, then refill to flush any built up nasties from the DSM
- carbon added to filter to limit ammonia
- 1/4 dosage liquid carbon (shrimp and liverwarts!)
- 1/2 dosage TPN+ (already full of nutrients from DSM)
- W/C every other day
- lighting period limit to 6 hours

How long do you guys think I should be running the DSM for? I was thinking a month or so, but I'm guessing any longer is all bonus plant growth? Would a 6 hour photoperiod be good place to start when its first filled (11watts over 17 litres) ?

DSM really relies on temperatures a lot, If you can place it somewhere warm and with good sunlight and you'll get better growth than you would with flouro. 6hours is what I start with typically, you can go as low as 4 if needs be, just depends on how easy you want to take it.

NeilW said:
How long do you guys think I should be running the DSM for? I was thinking a month or so, but I'm guessing any longer is all bonus plant growth? Would a 6 hour photoperiod be good place to start when its first filled (11watts over 17 litres) ?
I think run the DSM for as long as it takes for the plants to mature to a degree where you're happy... Only you can decide that - whether it takes 1 month or whatever. I've no experience of DSM yet, so am not really qualified to say much more.

When it's filled will you be running CO2? If not then you may need a longer photoperiod. 11w over 17 litres is low-moderate light so longer photoperiods may be necessary, in my experience.

What lighting are you using for the DSM?

Garuf said:
DSM really relies on temperatures a lot, If you can place it somewhere warm and with good sunlight and you'll get better growth than you would with flouro. 6hours is what I start with typically, you can go as low as 4 if needs be, just depends on how easy you want to take it.

Fortunately the temp at the moment is rather warm thanks to our unusually sunny weather :thumbup: Last time I used the DSM was in the depths of winter! I'll try move it to a more sunny spot though, cheers.

I knew the minimum that plants respond to was 4 hours but was never patient enough to limit it that much . I think I'll go for 6 hours.

Thanks Garuf :)

George Farmer said:
I think run the DSM for as long as it takes for the plants to mature to a degree where you're happy... Only you can decide that - whether it takes 1 month or whatever. I've no experience of DSM yet, so am not really qualified to say much more.

Last scape I had run with the DSM for a month but I think this may take longer to get some decent growth from the moss. I think as you say I'll have to see how it goes...maybe I need more patience :geek: .

You should definitely try using the dry start at some point, I think it would work great for a few of your 'scapes (for example your new Glosso-carpet acrylic cube). Most examples I've seen it used from the Barr Report are for carpeting plants such as Glosso and HC but I've found it even works well for less obvious species. Got quite a few benefits to it too.

George Farmer said:
When it's filled will you be running CO2? If not then you may need a longer photoperiod. 11w over 17 litres is low-moderate light so longer photoperiods may be necessary, in my experience.

I won't be running CO2 at all, possibly only a small dosage of liquid carbon at the start to help adapt the emersed growth (but this would be very sparing due to having both Crystal Red shrimp and Pellia). Thats interesting to hear that I would need more light with no CO2 - I thought the extra growth from the extended lighting period would result in a carbon deficiency and then algae? My intention was to start at 6 hours but eventually up it to 8 once it was all settled down. Would this be enough from what you've experienced? I've always held back on the lighting so this could be novel to break the 8 hour limit!

George Farmer said:
What lighting are you using for the DSM?

Currently its under a 20w halogen desk lamp.

Anymore feedback from your vast experience welcome George :D For me my tank has always been a good excuse to be a learning-sponge.

youngstud said:
nice rock.

Its lovely stuff! :thumbup:

that is a stunning use of dragonstone. love it. this is going to be so good when fully grown.

looking on with great interest.

best regards,
john

hijac said:
that is a stunning use of dragonstone. love it. this is going to be so good when fully grown.

looking on with great interest.

best regards,
john

Thank you very much John :D

I hadn't seen dragonstone for real until I set up this tank, I'm well impressed by both the detail and colour of it. I found it quite odd to work with though because of the way it breaks and being full of clay.

I havn't posted any updates for a bit as it's not been that interesting - Crypts melted a bit from the change in conditions, moss grown a little, hairgrass a little longer, that sort of thing :lol:. Sadly still got a long way to go as I want to make sure the soil is properly cycled and theres no ammonia trace :thumbdown: Spray-misting everyday is tedious but hopefully the hard work will pay off.

Got an idea at the moment of having a planted nano setup to breed blue-tigers so it will be good when I can free up another tank... I just have to laugh at myself sometimes :lol: :rolleyes: I got the bug.

Back