• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new tank setup....1 month later....

Do I need more light?

• Total voters

Paul Castle

Seedling
I tried to setup my first ever full planted tank in September...
Cabomba to the sides, Amazon swords to the rear with Hair grass at the front and Anubias to the right of the log......
2609147.jpg

I've added a little Java Moss and a beautiful plant which I can't remember the name lol to the left....

20171025_183232[2024].jpg
Trimmed the Hair grass and it is coming on...... one question though guys..... one of my hair grass sections has turned light brown?..... any ideas as to what has made it do this?.....

Title: My First planted tank....

Dimensions: 3'x 12"x 16

CO2: No (But I am adding this soon)

Filtration: Sponge

Lights: LED

Photo Period: 1st Pic 23rd September - 2nd Pic 25th Oct

Fertilisation: Yes..... Substrate

Substrate:

Hardscape: Black glass gravel

Flora:

Fauna:

Journal Link:

Additional photos:

[insert more images here]

Need more light for what ???? Kill the plants more quickly ??? you haven't stated why you think you need more light.

Plants have survived a month with the light you have so is obviously is enough, if not too much for the setup you have.

The plant suffering in the pics looks like too much light and poor fertilisation.

We need more details before we can suggest anything, tank size, tank volume, fertilisation regime, light strength (lumens), light on time, any form of carbon supplement, filter flow rate, water change frequency etc more details please.

The GSA (green spot algae) on rear glass is symptomatic of poor water column fertilisation, poor water flow and too much and/or too long light.

You are adding CO2 later Paul in which case your fertilisers will need to allow for that EI or Neutro T + with the extra that your plants will need are an example, if it’s EI some all in ones are available for ease of use. As Ian says low lighting is all you need,increasing or high light increases algae and can be problematic and even the best aquascapes on here have to increase it with care and then everything else has to be right flow ,turnover etc.You Amazon’s quite a few there need more fertilisers as would your hairgrass ,the experts will have better idea with the hairgrass ,is the browning clump thickly Planted?Dont know your fert regime but root tablets would help those hungry Amazons

I would wait with CO2 for now. You have a sponge filter wich will give to little flow to use CO2. Sponge filters can work but in low light low tech tanks, especially in breeding setups (few adult fish and young can "graze" from the filter)
Have patience and see how everything grows when you start adding some ferts to the water column, you feed your fish, so why not feed the plants?
Look at the articles here about EI (estimative index) fertilisation. Feeding regularly and doing regular waterchanges are the first step to healthy plants, so i would start there.
And no for now you don't need more light:)

Need more light for what ???? Kill the plants more quickly ??? you haven't stated why you think you need more light.

Plants have survived a month with the light you have so is obviously is enough, if not too much for the setup you have.

The plant suffering in the pics looks like too much light and poor fertilisation.

We need more details before we can suggest anything, tank size, tank volume, fertilisation regime, light strength (lumens), light on time, any form of carbon supplement, filter flow rate, water change frequency etc more details please.

The GSA (green spot algae) on rear glass is symptomatic of poor water column fertilisation, poor water flow and too much and/or too long light.
Lol... the "green spots " on the rear of the tank is my wallpaper reflecting... sorry bad pic... I've included my tank dimensions at the bottom... I have a fertiliser substrate ( Tetra active substrate ) to 1" deep across the whole bottom of the tank which then has 3" of top cover (black gravel) on top of this... 1/2 water change every two weeks, filter is suitable for up to a 200lt tank... I have 90lt

The light is an LED setup I made as the light fitting in my hood has blown after many years of use.... (I have kept thriving community tanks for years..... just never ventured into planted tanks and thought it time to try.... I've not yet found a suitable replacement hood with light fittings integrated and I Don't want an open tank.
The tank is out of direct sunlight and light is on for 12hrs daily. I have been testing my N3, N2, KH, GH and PH levels weekly .... I recently needed to raise my KP and PH levels... apart from that... all is fine with water.
My primary concern is I was unsure wether the LED's put out enough light (and wether LED lighting is full spectrum) or should I go back to Flourescent "plant grow lamps"

Last edited:
wether the LED's put out enough light
Hard to tell from a picture. If you are happy with the plantgrowth, leave it (we dont think full spectrum is neccesary).

Back