• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss recommendations.

Hi all,
Ah this explains it, your moss doesn't look anything like mine
No, that definitely isn't Plagiomnium affine, <"https://www.britishbryologicalsociety.org.uk/learning/species-finder/plagiomnium-affine/">, but having said that the moss normally sold as P. affine? Isn't P. affine either, and <"probably is a liverwort">, rather than a moss.

@Courtneybst your moss looks more like <"Drepanoclados aduncus">? Which is, pretty much, trouble free submersed.

cheers Darrel

I do apologise! I got my orders mixed up. This is actually Leptodictyum riparium from a Tropica 1-2 grow cup.
That makes sense, I thought it looked like the moss traded as Leptodictyum riparium (*which it may or may not be etc).
Makes a lot more sense that its growing well then!

@MichaelJ the moss you linked to, if that was your source then it seems to be the same as my "Pearl Moss" allegedly Plagomnium. We should keep in mind that several mosses in the hobby have been given the name Pearl Moss also. Either way I wouldn't hold much hope that this Pearl moss will grow very well. It just doesn't appear to do well under water, and even when it grows a bit it is unattractive imo.

Sorry for derailing the OP's thread

If the OP likes the look of Cameroon Moss I would recommend it to them, it should grow fine in low tech based on some forum members experience and is very large and attractive moss. Happy to give more suggestions if desired, i do love a good opportunity to talk about moss 😊

Hi all,
Leptodictyum riparium from a Tropica 1-2 grow cup
That would make sense, because the moss sold as "Leptodictyum riparium" is probably "Drepanocladus aduncus". You would <"need a microscope"> to be sure.
....... Its submersed shoots have an upright growth habit, and under a lot of light and when growing close to the surface, they ramify readily. In deeper water or under less light the shoots are less ramified, the foliage is not as dense. Under these conditions, this moss is not distinguishable from "Stringy Moss". In our opinion the "Stringy moss" does not belong to Leptodictyum riparium but to Drepanocladus aduncus.
The moss sold as Drepanocladus aduncus? That is <"probably something else again">.

cheers Darrel

@MichaelJ the moss you linked to, if that was your source then it seems to be the same as my "Pearl Moss" allegedly Plagomnium. We should keep in mind that several mosses in the hobby have been given the name Pearl Moss also. Either way I wouldn't hold much hope that this Pearl moss will grow very well. It just doesn't appear to do well under water, and even when it grows a bit it is unattractive imo.
Thanks @Hufsa, Yes, that was indeed the source. It really bugs me that these company don't know what they are selling... Grrrr! :) I did actually like the way this particular "Pearl Moss" looked when I just put it in the tank, but given your advice I will probably try something else :)

Cheers,
Michael

My tank is very big (700l) so something that will grow and spread easily would be ideal
If youre looking for something that is super easy and rampant I can recommend Queen Moss (Hydropogonella gymnostoma). I have a fair few moss species and this one has been the fastest growing among them so far, and attaches quickly to surfaces.
Its not super common yet but if you can source it it should be a pretty bombproof option.
Its one of the few mosses that can be pretty reliably identified as it has very distinct alternating leaves.
Of course if youre not keen to track down mosses from other hobbyists then pretty much any moss sold from big nurseries like Tropica and Dennerle will be fairly easy to grow, otherwise they wouldn't sell them. In their case its just a matter of checking that they are labelled as Easy and then going for the one you like the look of / growth habit more. I find checking out google images very helpful to get an overview of how the different mosses grow, although some of the images are not labeled with the right species

@kammaroon do you have any pics of the flame moss??
Here's the only pic I could find of flame moss growing in the background. Excuse the bad quality pic. I'm not an aquascaper, I just have lots of plants in tanks. I've broken the tank down recently and turned it into a bare bottom quarantine tank.
IMG_3806.jpg

The quarantine tank now has a small clump of slow growing hooker moss, which seems to be growing fine:
IMG_5395.jpg

Is this the same pearl moss being spoken about in this thread? I guess I won't Purchase.
Screenshot_20230326_183539_Chrome.jpg

Back