• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss recommendations.

Mattant1984

Looking to try some easy to keep moss for a low tech set up however I dont want java moss.

Any Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,
Looking to try some easy to keep moss for a low tech set up however I dont want java moss.
Did I send you some moss with the floating plants? If I did? It is a <"mix of UK species"> and that should be perfect.
moss-jpg-jpg.196931

moss1-jpg.179789

All the moss I have <"is easy to grow low tech."> any species that weren't will have long ago turned up their toes.

cheers Darrel

@dw1305 you did send me a bit yes, I had it wedged between 2 rocks so it could attach itself (should have glued it really) and whilst doing a water change it got sucked up the syphon pipe and down the drain 🙈🙈
(I've since added a strainer onto the syphon)

Spiky moss did well a while ago till l took down that tank. Java Moss l like a lot ,trimming regular it really looks good. But l am reminded @zozo are we sure what moss we really have

@PARAGUAY thanks for the advise, I only said no to java moss as its the only one I kept in the past however there's no saying I wouldn't use it again.

I did look at spikey moss online a while back actually and it looked nice so maybe I'll try some of that

I recently started keeping Plagiomnium affine AKA 'Pearl Moss' in a low tech tank and it grows quite well. It has a more finer look to it compared to Java moss.
Hi @Courtneybst I tried Pearl Moss in my low tech shrimp tank in the past to provide more shelter for shrimplets and it never took off and eventually just withered away. I blamed it on my very low light levels as everything else in the tank was and is doing fine. Do you put it in a brighter area, say near the surface? A picture so I can see how/where you planted it might help out as I am planning to take another shot at it?

Cheers,
Michael

Do you put it in a brighter area, say near the surface? A picture so I can see how/where you planted it might help out as I am planning to take another shot at it?
Second this, I eventually removed mine from the tank as it grew very slowly and unattractively underwater (stringy and straight up) and wasnt nearly as decorative as the overwater form. Still have an emersed bit of it in a tub in the kitchen though 🤔

Hi @Courtneybst I tried Pearl Moss in my low tech shrimp tank in the past to provide more shelter for shrimplets and it never took off and eventually just withered away. I blamed it on my very low light levels as everything else in the tank was and is doing fine. Do you put it in a brighter area, say near the surface? A picture so I can see how/where you planted it might help out as I am planning to take another shot at it?

Cheers,
Michael
These are some absolutely shocking pictures but my lights are about to go off.

I'm keeping the moss just under the water line, lightly curtained by the floating plants. Some of it is emersed too.
56A623E3-361E-47C4-88ED-8E9CF143E164.jpeg
5DF6D197-771B-4809-BE48-A5866724BF8D.jpeg

Ah this explains it, your moss doesn't look anything like mine 😅:geek:
I think this is what Darrel and Marcel(zozo) have been talking about, how do we even know we are discussing the same mosses, let alone if they are what they are sold as (unlikely).
I suppose its bound to happen occasionally, especially when people are spread across continents, sourcing somewhat dubiously identified mosses from very different places.
Where did you get your "Pearl Moss" if I may ask? Mine was from Aquasabi

Back