• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

microsorum problems

scrud

what is the cause of new growth on my microsorum to have clear tips to the leaves?

cheers

by normal I take it you've had successful leaf growth even with the clear tip beginnings?!

CO2 deficiency could be it, I should be getting pressurised CO2 soon so it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference.

I did read that the cause was that microsorum doesn't like high lighting?

cheers

Hi all,
They are ferns so they don't need high lighting, but I'm not sure it damages them, I've got some that have grown out of the tanks water and are getting 2 x 24W T5 from about 10cm away and they haven't bleached.
by normal I take it you've had successful leaf growth even with the clear tip beginnings?!
Like Ian says, I've found that the leaf tips always start translucent as the leaf expands. I look on at as sign the plants are happy and in growth, but I'm sure there is there is a post somewhere on UKAPS (I couldn't find it), where Clive says that the leaf tips are only translucent when you are deficient in CO2. I've grown Java fern emersed, but I can't remember whether it still had translucent leaf tips.

Edit
No I've found it: <Java Fern - end of leaves translucent | UK Aquatic Plant Society>.

cheers Darrel

cheers guys. Think I'll go along with "normal" or at least normal for an imperfect tank like mine! ;)

Hi,

Translucent tips on Ferns are not normal. It doesn't occur in natural systems all that often so that must mean it's something we're doing. So it's normal.....in the sense that it is normal for us to screw things up.

There are a couple ways to fix this, by simply adding lots more CO2. Of course you would immediately annihilate your fish, but then the problem of translucent tips would go away. You can also drop the temperature in the tank an turn all the lights off. The ferns will grow very slowly just with ambient light only, without translucent tips. All the other plants would fade away though, and it would be boring to look at a dark tank all the time.

If you don't like the idea of having your fauna disappear, or of removing the lights from your tank, then just live with this normal condition and carry on. It's not really that big of a deal.

Cheers,

I have very healthy ferns that start with new translucent growth, which eventually turn bright green. IMO it's just new leaves taking their transformation into new life. I've never had a problem.

CO2 deficiency could be it, I should be getting pressurised CO2 soon so it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference.

cheers

Microsorum could receive high lighting, but remember to put some co2 and fertz.. Don't let the slow growing leaf fallen away because of melting process

One of my ferns actually has a leaf thats grown into the flow of CO2 micro-bubbles from the diffuser and even this leaf has translucent growth at the tip. Tbh I've never seen new growth without it.

I don't really know if Java fern ever grows submerged permanently in nature, so maybe it just always shows slight CO2 deficiency signs in aquariums?

Back