• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mangrove Forest - 245L Brackish Riparium

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
You would need to look on the FERA web site, but I'm pretty sure that all of the American Sunfish are illegal to keep in the UK, any Lepomus sp. certainly is.

The act is "The order is made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980, or ILFA, for short, and they added all Lepomis spp to the list in the 2006 revision "Schedule II of the DOF 8T tropical fish import licence"". <http://www.defra.gov.uk/aahm/files/Form-ILFA1-Leaflet.pdf>

I think the full pdf is here: <http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications/techrep/tech129.pdf>

cheers Darrel

These are pygmy sunfish of the genus Elassoma and Enneacanthus I am talking about. Lepomus are illegal to keep as Lepomis gibbosus have established a population in the UK for example down south at Tanyards fisheries and other species could eailsy become invasive aswell.

Yep pygmy sunfish are not in genus Lepomis, and it's hard to imagine them becoming invasive.

My new fish are in the mail and should be here tomorrow in the PM. I hope they have traveled well. I might have pictures tomorrow night!

The new fish got here via the post this evening 100% alive and looking good. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Here's the box opened with fish inside. They got here 100% alive and in great shape. The seller used breather bags packed with yarn and lots of water. Now the fish are going to quarantine. I will try to get pictures. These fish will also need an acclimation period. The seller caught them out in an estuary, but had them acclimated to regular freshwater. I will need to slowly raise the SG for them before introducing to the mangrove tank.

17-X-12-fish-I-m.jpg

I got around a half-dozen each of Fundulus confluentus and Poecilia latipinnia. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Hey sorry you guys I'll try to get some pictures soon. I've been so busy here.

The new fish are still looking real good! They looked a little rough after shipping, but I have been feeding live blackworms and they are coloring up again and more lively.

Sorry guys. Yes, I'll try to get picture updates as soon as I can.

The fish and plants all look good.

I'm back to work on this think. I hope to tear it all down and set it up again tomorrow to start getting it into better shape.

I am putting the tank on a better stand of this design...

stand-corner-bracket-i-s.jpg

I took this setup apart, cleaned everything and then put it all back together. Here's the tank empty again.

21-I-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Looks really nice mate. I like the plants in the centre alot.

Thanks a bunch Alastair! There are some really nice fish in there too. I hope to get some good fish pictures soon: I just need to get a new camera flash.

Back