• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mangrove Forest - 245L Brackish Riparium

hydrophyte

Mangrove Forest - 245L Brackish Riparium

I was a member here some time ago, but haven't participated in some time. I have a few new projects going on and pictures to share.

My brackish riparium setup is looking pretty good. This planting is in a 245-litre tank (90cm X 45cm X 60cm) and features a number of mangrove tree or mangrove associate plants growing in lightly brackish water. I have also started a little community of brackish water killifish. I mean to add another species or two of fish as well.

Here's a quick look in through the top of the tank. I have some pretty cool plants in there. I'll have more pictures on the way pretty soon.

2-VII-12-tank-II-m.jpg

BigTom said:
Nice to see you back hydro :)

Looking forward to the new stuff.

Thanks BigTom!

darren636 said:
so which fish are in there?

Currently there are just a few individuals each of two species of US native brackish water killis:

• Jordanella floridae
  • Cyprinodon variegatus)

These are both great aquarium fish. I want to add two more brackish killis.

ddam19 said:
Very nice. Love when plants are growing in/out the water.

Thanks! I have some plant specimen shots too and I'll post a few of those later.

Well I have a few additional shots here.

This is another view into the top of the tank.

2-VII-12-tank-I-m.jpg

The foliage of red mangrove, Rhizophora mangle...

2-VII-12-Rhizophora-mangle-I-m.jpg

The characteristic stilt roots of Pandanus tectorius...

2-VII-12-Pandanus-tectorius-I-m.jpg

I'm trying to get this tank into better shape. The plants are looking good, but it needs more fish.

I have been watching AquBid for more native US killis because there is a seller there who catches them in Florida. They include some really cool little fish. There is currently an auction for Lucania goodei. This is an especially pretty fish that resembles white cloud mountain minnows. It's funny it's not a popular aquarium fish--people just don't appreciate native US fish.

I am trying to figure out the habitat preferences of L. goodei. I have run into some sources that cite it as using brackish habitats, but most describe instead clear freshwater streams as preferred habitats.

Look at this Creative Commons (http://eol.org/data_objects/17428292) picture of L. goodei.

28136_orig.jpg

flygja said:
I bet your place will be smelling pleasant because of the Pandanus.

Thanks! This one is in fact not P. amaryllifolius, the aromatic Pandanus which is used in cooking in your area of the world. This one is instead P. tectorius, which grows on beaches in Hawaii and elsewhere in the South Pacific.

I totally agree with you about people not appreciating US native fish. My favorite fish are sunfish and darters especially everglades pygmy sunfish and rainbow darters.

Palm Tree said:
I totally agree with you about people not appreciating US native fish. My favorite fish are sunfish and darters especially everglades pygmy sunfish and rainbow darters.

Are you in the UK? Can you get pygmy sunfish and North America darters over there.

There really are a lot of great native fish here in the US. I helped to set up a larger tank with some cyprinids like Nocomis and Luxilus and they are great display fish.

andyh said:
welcome back! what about some more pics!

I'll try to get some more pictures soon.

flygja said:
Thanks. Shows how much plant knowledge I really have!

I really like plants a lot. You have a lot of the best plants there in the Malaysia + Indonesia area.

I just ordered some surprise new fish for this setup. I hope they will get here OK probably on Monday.

hydrophyte said:
Palm Tree said:

Are you in the UK? Can you get pygmy sunfish and North America darters over there.

There really are a lot of great native fish here in the US. I helped to set up a larger tank with some cyprinids like Nocomis and Luxilus and they are great display fish.

You can get a few species of pygmy sunfish you can get in the uk but only two places in the country have them, rainbow darters however are a bit rarer and I think one shop may have them in the country and thats only occasionally.

Palm Tree said:
hydrophyte said:
Palm Tree said:

You can get a few species of pygmy sunfish you can get in the uk but only two places in the country have them, rainbow darters however are a bit rarer and I think one shop may have them in the country and thats only occasionally.

Yeah those pygmy sunfish from the Southern US are amazing little fish. I hope to set a smaller tank for those someday to also include a little group of Lucania goodei and Heterandria formosa.

I wonder who exports fish the US to the UK(?).

Hi all,
You would need to look on the FERA web site, but I'm pretty sure that all of the American Sunfish are illegal to keep in the UK, any Lepomus sp. certainly is.

The act is "The order is made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980, or ILFA, for short, and they added all Lepomis spp to the list in the 2006 revision "Schedule II of the DOF 8T tropical fish import licence"". <http://www.defra.gov.uk/aahm/files/Form-ILFA1-Leaflet.pdf>

I think the full pdf is here: <http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications/techrep/tech129.pdf>

cheers Darrel

Back