• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Juwel Lido 120

A little update.
Added some more floating plants, kindly sent by Simon. Already reproducing like mad. Also added a Tropica pot of Helanthium Bolivianum Quadricostatus to bulk out the foreground plants and a pot of Alternanthera Reineckii to add some Red, to contrast all the greens. Seem to be settling in fine.

New fish: 5 x Cardinals and 2 x Oto. So current stock levels are:
10 x Cardinal Tetra
5 x Lemon Tetra
6 x Oto
12-ish Red Cherries
A few Ramshorns

The snails are breeding and one of the shrimps has a load of eggs. All good!

Algae has all gone, apart from a very small amount on the glass, that I'm leaving for the Otos and snails.

I spoke too soon about seeing the Otos all the time- I think I traumatised them, planting the new plants and have hardly seen them since, even though I've added two more.

Attachments

• 20240310_181958.jpg
    20240310_181958.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 134
  • 20240310_182016.jpg
    20240310_182016.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Well, it looks great. It's really nice indeed!

QQ - how high do you have your lights? (Looks really bright to me for Low Tech but I know that phones make everything look bright).

Also, what is the white stuff here? Is this just camera stuff?

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 20.48.19.png

Thanks mate! Im very pleased with it. Lights are the standard Juwel LEDs, so non-adjustable. Believe it or not, they're over 50% covered! Also think there's some glare in the pic from the floating takeaway box, in which I'm trying to cultivate some moss.

The white stuff is a tiny bit of algae on the glass, but mostly air bubbles from the Juwel airflow nozzle (not sure what its official name is!).

Quick update! The H Pin has continued to be problematic. Producing new leaves at the nodes, but lots of melt. I've split it up a bit and started dosing TNC twice weekly. No real change, but need to be patient with it. The Fern is not great either, but has produced a load of plantlets, which seem to be doing OK, once removed from the parent leaves. Limnophila not great either. Hopefully, the extra TNC + some root tabs will help these and the swords as well. Crypts, Vallis, floaters and weeping moss all doing very well indeed. The Nymphea is slow, but looking very well. Helanthium and Alternanthera doing OK. Algae is pretty non existent, just a little on the glass here and there.

As for livestock, all doing very well. Probably upwards of 30 shrimp now, with loads of Ramshorns. Lemon Tetras have been spawning in the Weeping Moss today, making the greedy Cardinals very happy in the process! Otos still pretty secretive. Regularly see 2-3, but only occasionally see 4-5 at the same time and have never seen all 6.

Last edited:
A little update...
I decided to have a little rescape. I felt the hardscape was too imposing, with too little swimming space for the fish, so removed one of the large rocks and lay the bogwood on the other rock. I'm very happy with the results so far. In terms of livestock, it looks like I'm down to one Oto. I found two dead and haven't seen any of the others for ages. I will probably get a couple more and some Panda Corys. I inherited some bladder snails in some plants and they're doing OK. There seemed to be quite a big die-off of ramshorns, but they now seem to have stabilised. I'm getting hold of some Malaysian Trumpet Snails soon, so hopefully they will improve the substrate. The red cherries are multiplying like crazy- I must have getting on for 100 now. Anyone local is welcome to take some! I added two Amanos to help combat an outbreak of BBA. I made sure I shrimp-proofed all the possible escape routes after last time. They're doing well, but I'm not happy with them eating certain plants, despite being fed properly!

I made a couple of tweaks: lighting (increased intensity), ferts (TNC Comp) every other day and removed most of the floaters. BBA turned up on some of the plants, so reduced the lighting intensity again, let the floaters increase and added the Amanos. Thankfully, it's almost gone again after a couple of weeks.

I have been using Happi's TNC Complete substitute fert recipe for the last 3 weeks and so far, so good. The plants seem to love it!

I've also used Hello Fresh insulation as filter floss and it's great. To reduce the lighting intensity, I used a plastic spiral binder comb. The 14mm is a perfect fit for the Juwel LEDs.

I have added a few more plants to the jungle- here's a full plant list:
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana - slow, but doing OK with plenty of runners
Crypt Wendtii Brown - fantastic
Crypt Walkeri - very good (leaves are more brown now)
Java Fern - not great. Hanging in there, but new baby plants seem to be growing well
Vallis - fantastic, with loads of runners after poor start
Echinodorus Bleheri - thriving now, after poor start
Echinodorus (not sure which!) - struggling a little
Limnophila Heterophylla - really struggled. None left.
Weeping Moss - fantastic
Hygrophila Pinnatifida - almost all gone (just a couple of sprigs hanging on)
Tiger Lotus - doing well. Let several leaves reach the surface, but have now trimmed it back
Amazon Frogbit - great
Dwarf Water Lettuce - good
Red Root Floater - ok- much slower than the other floaters
Salvinia - good
Duckweed - not much (thankfully!)
Ludwigia palustris "Red" - terrible. Fell apart, none left.
Hygrophila Triflora difformis - fantastic! Have taken cutting and replanted. Really thriving, but no pink leaves yet.
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala - doing very well, although unfortunately, the Amanos seem to like it
Cryptocoryne Ponterderiifolia - excellent. Producing new leaves etc.
Bolbitis Heudelotii - great
Bolbitis 'Mini' - great
Hygrophila Polysperma - OK. Not as fast growing as I was expecting, although some will need trimming soon.
Helanthium Bolivianum Quadricostatus - doing well now (some runners) after initial melt.
Alternanthera Reineckii - was slow growing, but doing very well, until I introduced 2 Amanos
Saggitaria Sublata - pretty good- some runners etc
Myriophyllum Mattenongrosse - died off fairly quickly (ideally needed CO2!)

I really want to change the lighting to a Chihiros Universal, but can't find one anywhere. Chihiros have told me to contact UK suppliers directly, but haven't heard back from any of them. If anyone knows where I can get one, a heads up would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Back