• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kodama (??) - Wabi - Choosing Fish??

Re: Wabi What - Wabi Where - Wabi Who

ghostsword said:
That seems a very good scape in itself.. Love the flowering grass.

What light do you have with it? or it is just on the garden?

Thanks, I thought I might as well have a scape untill i find the right Bowl/Tank.

Would love to know what the grass is, appeared in a tub last year and let it grow as like the look of it.

No Light, Just natural light from the windowsill it sits on. Once setup Ligthing will be over 30W or more.

Took out a clump of clover from the lawn this evening. Will see how is fairs. Only submerged the roots

That looks really intriguing! I will be following it closely :D

Do you use any ferts during the transition period? What the substrate at the moment is?

You can have a look for dish here I got mine from them actually. It is acrylic, but pretty cheap :)

Antoni said:
That looks really intriguing! I will be following it closely :D

Do you use any ferts during the transition period? What the substrate at the moment is?

You can have a look for dish here I got mine from them actually. It is acrylic, but pretty cheap :)

nope no ferts, just top up with tank water.

substrate is the compost they were growing in, and underneath them is marimo balls flattened out for water retention.

Yep I got those dishes in glass for £1 at the local car boot (going in the morning to find some more). I am hoping to find something a little deeper maybe. If not then will see if range are dumping any display cubes (missed them last year)

No Luck this morning, But I was not concentrating that much. As was bargain hunting for Garden Toys for the little one and got a bouncy castle, activity centre for a tenner(new) so well happy.
Going to go to the Mercia car boot in the morning, as wifey wants to find more outdoor toys for him> and see if she can match todays bargains. And i will hunt for Tanks/Bowls

Well I decided to have a look in the garage in the box with excess cookery bowls.
Found a nice 3ltr Oven Dish and decided to use that.
Here are the Pix.
Will be adding the filter tommorrow, as the Canister did not work on this.

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho001-1.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho002-1.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho003-1.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho008.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho010.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho015.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho016-1.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho017.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho024.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho026-1.jpg

Amzing Gill!

Nice to see something already different in the new wabi's peope are doing by using 2 mounds rather than one :)
The filter is hidden really well, hope you get it working mate.

Thanks Guys, took a few hours thinking about what/where to place plants.
I only did 2 mounds as thought it would balance the overal scape better and create more tension.
Will be adding some marginal Pond Plants in the next few weeks, when i can scav them from my neighbours pond.
Have ordered a nice Vine Duckweed, as it looks really nice and something different.

The Plants are Unknowns really in the Mounds, Just what grew clumped together in different spots in the garden. And then plants from my Tanks/Barrels. Trying a Nymphae and tiger lotus in this to see how it adapts to such a shallow tank. Planted HC in the gravel and setup the Co2. Just need to tweek the filter to get it going. If Not will use the Modded Hob I have in my supplies.
As for Co2 Distribution that will be a tiny powerhead I bought back from India. Will be interesting to see how it does.

I like it! Very natural look, but with touch of inovation :)
I hope you will get the filter going!
How the shrimps feel after few hours in? I'm asking as I also intend to add some in mine, but I do not have filtration...o_O

The choice of bowl is very good :thumbup: I love creativity :)

Antoni said:
I like it! Very natural look, but with touch of inovation :)
I hope you will get the filter going!
How the shrimps feel after few hours in? I'm asking as I also intend to add some in mine, but I do not have filtration...o_O

The choice of bowl is very good :thumbup: I love creativity :)

Thanks, The shrimp are doing fine, a few have climbed up and have been exploring the different pools created by the planting.

Forgot to Add in the write up. This is being heated by a Hydor Pico heater, Have hidden it beneath the gravel.

Gravel: Mine has no real name as I have forgotten some of the stuff that is mixed in it.
FWICR - Zambezi river sand, Quartz, Vermiculite, Bonsai Gravel, Sand, Black Tahitian Moon Sand, Gold Candle Gravel, White Candle Gravel, Shale, Pea Gravel, and some others that hiave been mixed in along the years.

I sorted out the Filter, Canister just would not work (height issue i think).
Used a Modded Azoo Mignon150. Took the Lid off to grow mosses and other cuttings inside it. Just added Filter floss topped with some of A1matts Mosses. Going to add Pennywort or maybe creeping jenny to it.

It has created a Very Gentle Trickling flow on the surface of the water.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho001.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho002.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho003.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho004.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho005.jpg

Some of you with a keen memory, will remember i modded this filter a few years ago

Finally Figured out Youtube using Freemake
Short Vid 2mins
http://youtu.be/skct1jPR2CQ

Re: Wabi What - Wabi Where - Wabi Who - Vid Added

Filter is working great on this, On full.
Using Marimo balls as a Baffle:
1. Redirect Flow to the back of the Left side.
2. To act as a Baffle into the main open area.

Temp is good using the Hydor Pico heater(7.5Watt).
Clover has adjusted Very well.
Added some purple lobelia last night and some Ivy. (see how it does)
The spidery Grass flowers have not opened again, but are turning towards the light. So should start to open again.
HC is doing ok, Co2 is not on all the time, as such a small amount of water. Do not want to OD the Shrimp. As you can see in the Vid they Co2 Outlet is directly next the the HOB Impeller. So that When i turn it on, it is Atomised into the Finest mist possible and works great. Turn it on for 5 mins 3 times a day.

Shrimp have taken to this Extememly well, they are in little groups dotted around the place. And see them peeking out from within the planting every so often. Nerites have also takenw ell to this, and have stayed at the back nr the outlet from the HOB.

Water evaporation is going to be in issue as in a warm room, from the lighting and the heating. Since setting up has lost 5mm topped it up this afternoon. Will see how much over the next few days.

I am loving how different this looks to any other scape i have done to date, will see how long i keep it going for. As I am always itching to try something else.

I am going to add the Palm from this Wabi Vid (12-15Sec). As it is only £3 a pot in Sainsburys and is semi Aqautic. Have used it in the Past in a few tanks and grows great.
http://youtu.be/t9uhwb0i-C4
Saying that though, I have not looked at the 99p section in the Range (if they still have it). I miss the days When Wyevales used to have a 99p Plant Section nr the checkouts.

Just spent the last 2 hours watching the Kokedama Videos. Very Cool and Already thinking of ways I can use techniques from them.

Decided to Name this Kodama (??), after the Tree Spirits

Back