• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kodama (??) - Wabi - Choosing Fish??

Gill

Have been wanting to do a Wabi Esque type tank/bowl.
Like many others I have always Liked Steven chongs Wabi from a few years ago. And want to do something like this in a Cube or Round Vase.
I did have some Suitable Round Vases but decided to donate these @ the Meet @ A1matts.
I am going to be making a small Land Mass for the plants and then have something trailing into the water and floating plants aswell.
Going to use HC in the Mass and underneath.
Will use Co2 in the underwater section and try Fizzy water for the emergent plants.
Thankfully my Local PAH do not care for the plants and let them grow out of the water so finding some plants will be easy for me, as they have done the hard part of transitioning them.

Bogwood shards will be used in this as well as Steves Twisty Wood (found it, had hung it on a clothes hanger above my bed to keep it out of the way). if it suits it
Slate will also be used to create the cliffs etc.

ATm i am using an old Fridge Fruit/Veg Tray for transitioning some plants from the garden. As well as a nice creeping spidery looking grass that started growing in one of the planted tubs. it is being fed with tank water every few days and the level is being raised slowly as not to drown anything.

I will be filtering this using a Modded Hob that i have in the Shed. Modded it with tubing so that it can be used without being on the rim of a tank. and can be used freestanding. Will aslo put in a pico Powerhead to create waves hitting the shores of the island.

Lighting will be an LED - 38 LED - LED Color: 6000K~7500K - cold white = £1

For the overall feeling, I want this to feel like a undiscovered island type look.

http://photobucket.com/Kodama

Wabi What - Wabi Where - Wabi Who

Looking forward to seeing this develop as I want to start a wabi at work for my desk.

Re: Wabi What - Wabi Where - Wabi Who

plans sound good mate, glad more people are getting into wabis.

im growing some glosso, p.helferi an hydrocyte sp.japan in a propagater ready for a wabi. getting the lighting right an the wabi ball mixture is the bit that scares me haha

Plants and light are easy to sort out, what I find hard is the waby mixture.

I have now learnt from another thread that akadama mixed with pumice works. Will try that.

If it fails then I will just bite the bullet and buy from ADA a substrate ball.

Why not fill an old tight up and plant into that like you do for grass buddies?

Some good points raised guys.
For the island I am not going to use the traditional methods. Will be using an old plant pot with an uplift UGF to draw water up and over onto the island. The island will be composed of an old Takeaway tuperware/Little ones food bowl filled with compost, soil. Will add Plantgrow to the water at water change each time and there will be Co2 aswell.

I would really like to do a Wabi, but I am scared to attempt the soil mass ball... Does anyone know of a guild to creating them? I've seen a few journals but they seem to skip playfully over the construction of the soil balls...

Looking forward to seeing what yours will look like Gill!

Garuf said:
Why not fill an old tight up and plant into that like you do for grass buddies?

Wouldn't the moisture eventually brake the tight? I am looking at using some plastic fine mesh, like the ones used by the bonsai people on the pots.

I wonder how does ADA does their substrate balls.

ghostsword said:
Wouldn't the moisture eventually brake the tight?

I've had a bag of crushed coral in a foot of a tight in my community tank for nearly 18month and it's still going strong.

I sometimes use pillow cases as substrate dividers in my dart frog tanks. They last forever. Could always try substrate inside one with little slits on the top to squeeze plants into. Check your pillow case lets through enough water first, the ones I use are quite thin.

Think I will use hessian, used it alot before when planting in the pond. And also has good structure for rooting.

Got some Ludwigia and another plant (veiny leaves with a red tint) That were shooting above the surface. And cheap so not bad. Put them in Little Cave tank, as loads of lighting on that(30W) to encourage more growth out of the water,

Tights are nylon, they don't really rot. :thumbup:

Yup pretty much, they're a hydrocarbon and will break down but it could take millennia.

So today, some of the shoots that were above the water have dried out. Which is to be expected. Have snipped them off to encourage more growth.

just gonna take some pix of the flowering grass, The Flowers are Tiny. Just need to find the magnifying glass to enhance the zoom.

This is the Fridge tray I am using to transition the plants i am going to use
WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho003.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho001.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho002.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho004.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho005.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho006.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho019.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho023.jpg

WabiWhatWabiWhereWabiWho027.jpg

Back