• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jungle Cube 30l

Hey clive, Well it looks like it's time to get a korolia power head then. Didnt really want it in my tank but if it helps:) Maybe the nano 900lph one... I've read they're pretty good.
Also I've read about adding extra p04... is it phosphate? would this help the lower light plants?

I've just ordered a koralia nano pump , 900lph. Now that combined with the filter will produce easily 25x the turnover...now if that doesn't work I don't know what will?

This is the state most of the moss is in. Could someone help me out? should i trim it, treat it or chuck it? id love it to be there but not having any luck? I've got the co2 as high as possible so really hoping extra flow will help and im starting to add 2ml of easycarb every morning:)

dsc03025mr.jpg

Also as mention before the glosso looks as though its growing well but dying at the bottom, this is after trimming two days later. Should i take it up and plant the new steams individually? can be good having it rot away like that.

dsc03026pa.jpg

As for water clarity I find the water is going yellower quicker. In my old scape it was cyrstal... should I clean it out or are the rotting glosso leaves causing this, and the filter cant cope?

thank guys

Hi Mikey,
A shame you're having such troubles. The distribution method really is as important as the amount of flow. It looked like from your first post that you had the lily pipe mounted in the back, and perhaps you are getting blockage from the wood. You'll have to play around with the pipe and pump to get the distribution right. Also, as usual, try to obscure some of the light to give yourself a chance.

Cheers,

Yeah it's really disheartening, I tried everything and i get the same old problems. I gotta say I ordered a 60l tank, got my manzi wood and I'm dreading it...I don't want another failure covered in algae. I look at u guys doing it and it just pisses me off... In a good way....not really...:)

Youre probably not wrong about the flow. However there is some moss on a branch that gets full Flow and that seems to be the worst.

When I get this pump i'm just gonna wack it on high, and try and make every plant sway with the flow getting around the wood to the back for the java fern. I may leave the tunze pump in aswell...failing that I'll by a Honda power boat engine!

ceg4048 said:
Also, as usual, try to obscure some of the light to give yourself a chance.

Floating plants, is that my best bet?

Yeah, floating plants are certainly an option mate, but you can also just place something between the bulb and the tank, like a thin fabric or darkened glass or whatever fits.

Sometimes, blasting the plant too much can also do damage. There's a middle ground where the get good flow but are not being assaulted. That's why I like spraybars. It's much easier to find that middle ground.

Cheers,

You are using amazonia so it seems ammonia is still leaching and nitrobacter is not working properly even if you can not detect nitrites with kit. Don't worry it should disappear from tank after few weeks when balance get hold. With dry start method you would eliminate this problem most likely. Your yellow water is from wood, no wonder big wood in small tank = lot of tanins. Put activated carbon to filter it will help lot if you see it as issue.

I am now having same algae and even high flow does not help (I Overdozed Osmocote :shh: ), just keep picking it up with tweezers and do water changes. It gets hold on moss and some delicate roots and carpet plants like on your picture ;). After few weeks algae should literally disintegrate I can already see progress. I had same with previous tank where I was doing ammonia cycling. 3rd tank will be

Do I see cherry barb on picture? Do not feed her I was reading they should eat it. Let us know if they do :)

Well I do have a spray bar left over from my dennerle corner filter so have attached that. Ive put it at a 45 degree angle so most of the flow now is hitting the glosso but not too much, nice swaying. So now it has all co2 directed at it.

Ive also taken up all the glosso got rid of the rotting leaves and have planted them individually... growth already visible after a couple of days.

Dont give up. You will defo get there...
It just a little what differs failure and success.
It is not a rocket science ;)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm curious what tank that is? I have a very similar looking one but with big plastic bits on the bottom. I'm wondering if this is the same and you removed the plastic?

Ha, well I think if I can get the moss to take of I'll be happy, the new glosso stems I planted are doing well so just got wait and see. My tank is a dennerle 30 litre didn't have any silver bits with it.

Ok bit of a change, I've taken the lily pipe outflow pipe and stck on the eheim one with a dennerle mini spray bar.
I had to get a new co2 refill the other day so wonder how long it will last... Thinking of using fe one on the next one.
I'm sad to say all my shrimp have dissapeared, so currently shrimp less. Don't know why they get polished off, gonna get a ro system for when my 60l comes. May get some more cherries for this and see if I can lower my dosing by 5ml and see how it all goes. I know it wasn't the co2 this time round, I'm an expert at that assination.
I bought a cheap plant from my Lfs I don't know what it is but it has large ish leaves... U'll see in photo update tomorrow.
One of my rummy nose jumped out the tank, so they are no more! so got some cherry barbs as replacement and they seem very happy, more so than my carrdials that seem to hide a lot.
I have some new shoots growing on my moss so that's just a waiting game. Water is getting less yellow so quick and algae isn't on the increase so very happy at the mo. Keeping on top of 2ml a day easycarb my be helping.
P.helfei is going slow but not melting yet, japoinca, petite Nana , glosso growing well:)

DavidC said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm curious what tank that is? I have a very similar looking one but with big plastic bits on the bottom. I'm wondering if this is the same and you removed the plastic?

Thats a shame, I was hoping to remove the plastic off mine, yours is much nicer!

Haha maybe you can take them off ask about or just get one like mine:)

Had to take the wood out, kept knocking the long bit sticking out when cleaning the glass and the attached slate was messing up the substrate. It was a good idea in the end as the wood is completely water logged and have more space.

I took the chance to trim down and thin the moss, split up the java fern because the roots looked like a big black ball of roots. My thinking was maybe co2 and nutrients werent getting in there, resulting in the blackening leaves.

My glosso has grow but there is still no sign of any runners. Some of the lower leaves are not looking 100%.

I hope the the nano power head helps. I had to put it in the middle of the back wall as it was sucking the tall c.helfei into it making the ends tatty. The glosso is nicely swaying and the substate twitching but not moving.

If this doesn't work and the glosso doesn't carpet, I'm gonna wack my 11w arcpod on instead and try a moss carpet instead :)

Garuf said:
http://www.aquajournal.net/qanda/vol_005.html

Some good info on that link cheers garuf, are you saying i should maybe take out a bit of media from each tray?

I have had a couple of japonica melt away, glosso is still growing tall but not spreading. I have trimmed it 3 times now and it still refuses to send out runners. p.helfei is not really growing at all, leaves on top nice and green though but underneath they look a bit yellow/brown. The tall Staurogyne i bought from green machine is growing, some of the leaves are brown but i think its because they are shaded, ones in direct light have nice green new growth but again browing/yellowing leaves below. Moss still looking dead :(

Im at a loss really in what to do next? light 18 w, temp 24, Co2 is high drop checker lime/yellow at lights on, ferts el method 25ml of each, alternate days then saturday rest with a water change on sunday, have good flow now...but same old problems.

Could it be any of the following

Different mix of ferts e.g more iron
water is too hard
lighting needs upping ( clive I know youre gonna go mad matrix on me but where ever i read it says u need strong light to get the glosso to carpet and send out runners.) my light is about 10/15 cm above water level and the tank is 35cm deep if thats any help.

So there has been progress at last!!!

So weird the japonica melted away a couple of weeks ago and I thought the rest would follow. However some bits survived the storm and seem to be growing again.

My glosso got very thin after trimming away all the algae and dead leaves, but have replanted a fair few stems now and they are growing well with no sign (yet) of any yellowing.

Staurogyne is still doing ok, yellowing leaves have gone green so something must have changed:

- I am now dosing 1ml of easycarb every morning and putting in 1ml of iron 2x a week.
- Flow is now really good, but watching the co2 bubbles wizz around i still think it needs more to get to the back.
- I know its probably mad but I've put my 2x 11w arc pod lights on as well ( really old bulbs though )
- 60% water change twice a week now
- Ive added some M.C as well down the sides where the japoinca melted away and another plant but dont know what it is?

Pic coming later:0
one think that is annoying is my drop checker. It can be spotless and say within a couple of days it looks like a betta has blown a bubble nest in there... when I take it out its almost crystalized or should i say gone crispy??

glosso on the come back. i have been cutting and replanting but still no sign of runners. I am trying just the 2xarcpods see if that helps the algae .

img3493a.jpg

My xmas moss is still hanging in there, maybe less light will help this as well?

img3519rl.jpg

full tamk shot, I have taken the heater out for this

img3514.jpg

img3512wc.jpg

I dont know what the light green plant is on the right? and i dont even know if it suits the tank but I think it needs something on the other side to balance it up. its been growing pretty well.

Back