• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java moss that isn't!

Hi
I am not great with mosses Id.But the one I have growing outdoors came out of my tanks and was sold to me as java moss.It was few years back so no idea where that came from.
On the other hand I got my Asellus and Grangonyx starter from you Darrell(they came in moss)so it may be some of that moss that is thriving outdoors as can not guarantee both mosses haven't mixed in my tanks
This moss and Round pelia grow well outdoors in sun or shade and overwinter very well.
Also for clarification i keep mine fully submerged (at least most of the time)
Regards Konstantin

Hi all,
On the other hand I got my Asellus and Grangonyx starter from you Darrell(they came in moss)so it may be some of that moss that is thriving outdoors as can not guarantee both mosses haven't mixed in my tanks
That will be part of my "moss mountain". Some of them would be worth "serious" money, if you could work out what was what.
Can we see a picture? A moss mountain sounds great
I'll post one tomorrow.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I'll post one tomorrow.
Three in fact. This is from a large galvanized water tank in the Glasshouse, so cold but not below freezing.
When I post <"some tank janitors"> I grab a <"handful of moss">, it doesn't tend to have much in the way of snails etc in it. The tanks are also pretty mossy, but they potentially <"have a lot more hitch-hikers">.

Moss.jpg

Moss2.jpg

Moss1.jpg

All that is in there is a lot of Cyperus alternifolius and a lot of moss.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back