• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

Thanks, guys.

saintly said:
Everything sits right in this tank. I'm interested to what's connected to the timer that is on for 12 hours? :geek:
Cheers mate.

The timer isn't actually set to 12hrs. The timer is marked up in two 12hr segments i.e. AM is white, PM is blue, which is why I think you may have misinterpreted. :D

Luis correctly identified the plug for my JBL solenoid. It comes on 2hrs before the lights and 1hr before the lights go off.

I went home yesterday and the hairgrass is showing signs of growth already and the fish have settled nicely.

I've high hopes for this aquascape. I think it could be one of my favourites for several reasons. It's certainly broken new ground for me on a personal level and has taught me lessons I can take forward for future projects.

4849651596_862b1724dd_z.jpg

I took the fish back; 12 Loreto tetras, as they were really unhappy in here, always hiding behind the rocks and not even feeding. I should have asked a few more questions at the shop. I didn't realise they were wild caught and I'll put it down to experience that many fish probably don't enjoy such open spaces combined with such a bright substrate. So a few lessons learnt there!

The hairgrass is growing well and whilst there's no fish I've upped the CO2 and ferts, dosing 5ml TPN+ and 5ml Liquid Carbon per day.

I don't have a CO2 drop checker so I've used another technique.

I take 5ml of tank water in a test tube and test it using bromo blue. It's around pH 6.4 according to the chart (yellow/green).

I keep the water in its tube for 24hrs shaking it a few times to ensure the CO2 gas has escaped.

The water changes colour from yellow/green to almost blue.

I check the pH test kit chart and it reads pH 7.6.

This means that there's very likely over 30ppm CO2 in my water, according to my calculations.

Also I am after getting another cabinet.

Unfortunately due to an accident in my absence a few months ago, a lot of water leaked, resulting in some warping in this cabinet.

After seeing Jeremy Gay's awesome cabinet from Aquarium Cabinet Solutions I have thought about getting one in a dark grey gloss, with no handle, and one door that goes right up to the top of the cabinet (no horizontal lines like the ADA cabinets). The dark grey will match my kitchen flooring and granite work tops.

Another idea is to have the cabinet slightly larger than the tank, so the filter hoses and lighting bracket can fix to the cabinet surface. The filter hoses go up directly through the top of the cabinet, instead of the sides, so there's potentialy more flow as hoses aren't bent so much, as when they come through the cabinet sides.

Here's the principle. Photo courtesy of Viktor Lantos, ADA Hungary.

4814790929_fa7a228b94.jpg

bigmatt said:
Could they custom build you one with the tank oversized in depth only? That way you could preserve the clean lines at the front and still have an overhang at the back for your filter tubes to rise up through?
M
Good idea, especially if you're using a background so the hoses would be hidden. Not so great if you're a fan of non-backgrounds.

Great layout George :clap:
I do not like those oversized ADA cabinets, they somehow look wrong :rolleyes:

It looks unber minimalist, its a shame you have the green tubes and grey inlet/outlet. It detracts from the simplicity of the rest of it all.
Its a little to simple for me, but thats not my style. I think it looks cool for a while when you live with it, but then it can soon get boring. Iwagumis are like this, they dont change much, though they have the wow factor for visitors.

Id have to put some moss in there, just a few clumps of Fissidens or something, Riccadia would look nice and its very slow growing.

Cheers.

Graeme Edwards said:
It looks unber minimalist, its a shame you have the green tubes and grey inlet/outlet. It detracts from the simplicity of the rest of it all.
Its a little to simple for me, but thats not my style. I think it looks cool for a while when you live with it, but then it can soon get boring. Iwagumis are like this, they dont change much, though they have the wow factor for visitors.

Id have to put some moss in there, just a few clumps of Fissidens or something, Riccadia would look nice and its very slow growing.

Cheers.

What do you know anyway, Edwards? Wind your neck in!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I hear what you're saying and I appreciate your input, as I'm sure others reading this do... ;)

Graeme Edwards said:
Its cool mate. I like it,im talking more about the style you are doing and the longevity of Iwagumis.

Was there a reason for not using glassware?
Yeah man. We have different styles. I do have a 2 year-old 'scape though, that I'll share soon... It even has moss... :lol:

I'm not using glassware because my father-in-law threw it away. It's a long story. Send some my way if you like!! :D

Your 'scape it's turning really nice and with some glassware it will look amazing, I really envy you guys .. :)

Great tank George.

The amount of thought and attention to detail that has gone into this set up really puts my efforts to shame.

Loving the site by the way!

George Farmer said:
Send some my way if you like!! :D
I'll lend you some, oh no, you only want 17mm, shame :lol:

I'm loving this tank George, one of your best to date, i'd love to have this in my house - proper swish!

Thanks, Clonitza and Shlunkster. :D

Dan Crawford said:
George Farmer said:
Send some my way if you like!! :D
I'll lend you some, oh no, you only want 17mm, shame :lol:

I'm loving this tank George, one of your best to date, i'd love to have this in my house - proper swish!
:lol:

Thanks pal.

Not much to update really. I'm starting to see some minor soft brown algae forming on the rocks and gravel so may get some Otocinclus today. Either that or out comes the toothbrush!

I'm still trying to decide on display fish choice.

Something that is brave enough not to hide in such an open and bright tank, yet something that shoals. Unfortuntely due to the reason why most fish shoal, it's likely that such fish will hide in this tank... :?

I'm thinking of something really subtle that will compliment to minimalist nature of the layout.

How about some Indian glassfish?

I think the closely spaced lines in the fins and body bring out the simple lines in the hairgrass nicely and the lack of colour doesn't detract from the simplicity of the aquascape.

44_Indian_glassfish_Chanda_ranga.e.jpg

George they would make an Excellent Choice. As they Mature they get a Brilliant irridescence to their Finnage and Look Very nice when In a Group. Have kept these a few times in the past and very happy with them. Plus have been seeing them in MA recently and the prices were good aswell.

In the pic Shown, you can already see the blue in the finnage, under the right lighting this looks amazing.

looking great mate! i'd really love to come over some time and take some pics, or maybe colaborate on the images :thumbup:

Do they not require some salt? I heard roughly 7.5-11 TSP of salt per 10 gallons. Or is that not the case?
Loving the lastest pic, George :D

Nope, them needing salt was a myth, heiko blehr says they've never been collected in brackish water.

Back