• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

Recommended dosing of Seachem Flourish Excel (2mL for 40L of aquarium water) = 0.8 mg/L glutaraldehyde
Recommended dosing of PlantaGrow PMFE (2.5mL for 100L of aquarium water) = 0.4 mg/L glutaraldehyde.

If you look at this tread, it suggests that making up DIY (30ml Glut in 1 litre) and dosing as normal on equates to half the total concentration as Excel.

This could be the reason why your not seeing any effect on BBA.

My thoughts are make up 3% solution, so 60ml in a litre. That way at normal dosing, as above, you will get the same 0.8 mg/L as Excel.

That's what I plan on doing when I make up my next litre stock. As I am seeing no effect on the little BBA I have either.

If you look at both too. Your dosing 5ml of Excel in 100L and only 2.5ml of DIY in 100L. So, either double dose in the stock (which should turn BBA pink) or dose twice as much with DIY into the tank.

Personally id suggest caution. Ive been using the 30ml in 1ltr for 9 months without issue, same results as when using excel but had strange behaviour from fish and shrimp breeding stopped when double dosing DIY glut. Where as i never had any issues double dosing excel.

I dont know what plantagrow PMFE is Martin but are you sure it is the same concentration as the bonniemans glut at 50% as its just as easy to buy 25% glut?

I dont know what plantagrow PMFE is Martin but are you sure it is the same concentration as the bonniemans glut at 50% as its just as easy to buy 25% glut?

Doesn't really matter what concentration the supply Glute is, PMFE is made up to 1.5% like all of them.

Been looking at the toxicology reports for Glute too. It's save for all aquatic like, fish and inverts up to 2.1mg/L.

Algae is affected above 1.4mg/L.

So if you use this formula:

((Dose amount / 1000) x 15000) / tank volume.

This will give you the mg/L of your dose.

15000 comes from the mg/L of a 1.5% stock solution we all make up.

So if I want to dose 15ml on my 140 litre tank, my resultant mg/L would be:

((15 / 1000) x 15000) / 140 = 1.61 mg/L or ppm.

Davem I understand from a previous post that when you remixed another batch it was better than before. Did you shake the glut' bottle before hand. I'm just wondering if this stuff settles, and needs a mix up.

Davem I understand from a previous post that when you remixed another batch it was better than before. Did you shake the glut' bottle before hand. I'm just wondering if this stuff settles, and needs a mix up.

Yeah I did shake it and it seemed better and I always do since but, I still say this stuff performs closer to Easycarbo than Excel. If I was spot dosing Excel on BBA it would be pink the next day.

I dont know how true this is
I read on a few forums in the states that glut breaks down when exposed to light and that the speed it does depends on temperature
And glut needs to break down so plants can use it, as glut molecules are quite large
Safety first when mixing. you may not notice adverse health effects till its too late
Why would hospitals/dentists etc look for alternatives if it wasnt bad for you
Anybody thought to request coshh data sheet that suplier has to provide on request by law, rather than relying info found on net

I read on a few forums in the states that glut breaks down when exposed to light and that the speed it does depends on temperature
Nope, quite stable exposed to light and temperature. Considering when made it is distilled from the reactants and has a boiling point of 100°C, so very stable. Its decay is heavily influenced by pH (greater than 10 and high temperature), but in the range encountered in tanks say 6-9 not a problem.

And glut needs to break down so plants can use it, as glut molecules are quite large
Nope, again. It is a very small molecule actually 1,2-pentanedial, only 5 carbon atoms long, with aldehyde group at each end. Being small it easily gets taken in by plants where it gets broken down easily.

Safety first when mixing. you may not notice adverse health effects till its too late
One use is for preservatives (up to 0.1%) in makeup. Standard handling procedure are all that in necessary. One example given is when used as a cattle steriliser (!!!) it says just mix up the solution outside with eye protection.

BASF have a full COSH data sheet.

Most people have worse chemichals at home. for example bleach can do massive damage if you have an accident with it. some products in safety info are only 2% and have other ingredients. Im not sure which ones though, and some are not sold anymore. it must mean long term damage if used in unventilated areas. that said, £157k is a lot of compo for something concidered not that harmful

Back