• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

What do you think it is?

It looks like a areca palm which is why I'm puzzled but apparently they can survive to -5c and under 20cm of snow it probably wouldn't have got much colder than that. I'm guessing you would have had to plant it.

I can't really imagine a areca in a Dutch garden so it's likely something else but luckily there is a helpful guy that I bet knows what it is.
A palm was my thought as well, but it has grown there on its own, my best guess would be a bird must have dropped a seed. Never expected those to be able to grow in dutch conditions.

If it is trachycarpus fortunei which I think is by far the hardiest, commonly found palm, then it is able to survive down to -18c from what I've just read (although hardiness may increase with maturity like other plants). They are really common in the uk, especially in the south, and can have tens of thousands of seeds if they flower which they seem capable of doing in our climate.

Darrel might know more but they are a slower growing species so it might take a while for it to develop into an easily identifiable plant. I think it's a cool find though and I'd be happy to find one.

I have been having problems with this Beech tree as it has been dropping leaves mid summer.
I collected it many years ago as a field grown tree but it peaked around 7-8 years back and I dont know what is wrong so I am moving it in front of a west facing wall where it will be very sheltered and cooler than where it has been for the last decade or so.
It stands over one meter tall and sits in its blue glazed, hand made pottery, forever home.
I think it is around 40 years old.
185BF2C8-9BCB-4896-9921-45AB746ADB2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Some of the worst picture ever because it was near pitch black when I took them but any ideas which species this is? It's from a shrub/tree that's maybe 4 meters high and looks like it's been there for a while. It's on the edge of our woods next to a main road so is probably native but given its position I couldn't rule out a council planted species. I've walked near it for well over a decade but not noticed it until the other day but unfortunately not with a camera. The trunk is slightly cracked reminiscent of a young oak.
Thinking maybe a viburnum but the flowers are dark red and I only really know bodnantense thats pink.

20210302_160328.jpg
20210302_160306.jpg

Wych elm fits perfectly thanks. Might see if I can collect some seeds from it when it's ready (end of may apparently). It has definitely suckered as it's a collection of a few distinct trunks several feet apart, which is why I initially thought viburnum but it seems to happen in Wych elm as well from what I've just read.
I have a Persian ironwood and it's definitely different.

I found this chucked over a fence into the local woods ten plus years ago (as well as two lovely hardy ferns) . It's kept in a cold unheated outhouse and never fails to flower even with complete neglect. It's been split numerous times and distributed to many friends. Not bad for a hedge find.

20210306_150704.jpg
20210306_150806.jpg

Terrible picture of a small part of the crocus i said i'd post. I added mixed bulbs that should have included orange but obviously didn't. I thought 150 sounded alot but I'll probably add another few hundred in the autumn as well as possibly some snowdrops. It's certainly much nicer than some boring old lawn (deliberately trying to weaken the grass as I'm planting wild flowers in it, hence why it looks horrible:)).

20210306_151259.jpg

Had a tiny bit of sun and the crocus started to come out. Still plenty of space for another few hundred in the autumn. Will try to add some more colours. This is just a tiny section of them.

View attachment 164717View attachment 164718
Looks lovely:) I like the calm colours like this. I added crocus between our stepping Stones but the kids keep running over the flowers 😆

Looks lovely:) I like the calm colours like this. I added crocus between our stepping Stones but the kids keep running over the flowers 😆

It's why I have the little twine roped off areas. To stop other members of the family standing on them. It didn't work unfortunately when they were under a foot of snow recently, a fair few got splattered.

Hi all,

Very nice, Acacia dealbata ("Mimosa"). Too cold (and limy) here for that.

cheers Darrel

I wouldn't be so sure. Our soil is very limey in norwich and it's been outside for 5 plus years now. I only put it outside, after molly coddling it for a few years in the conservatory, because there is one near by that looked fantastic this time of year in flower but mine never did. It went down to minus 8 here a few weeks ago and there isn't even any frost burn. I know they get big quickly and then die young but I think this one has been semi bonzaied till now as it was quite pot bound.

Hi all,

Hoping that some off you green fingered souls can help me with a plant for our garden. My daughter has bought this Palmatum Dissectum Garnet for my others halfs up and coming 50th birthday.

Do any of you guys have experience of keeping acers, my understanding is that this variety is quite hardy for our UK climate. Would appreciate advice on positioning, soil, pruning and ferts. Due to the nature and layout of our garden, it will have to be in a pot, planting in soil is not an option. I know from my last experience that Red acers are more difficult to keep, and many years ago we did have one but managed to kill it. To be fair I had no interest in gardening at that time and was just shoved in the ground and forgotten about. Because of the sentimental point for this plant we want to give it the best possible conditions.

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• IMG-20210314-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210314-WA0002.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back