• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Hi all, My first thought was <"Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus)">, but that would be a strange thing to have in a pot.

cheers Darrel

Funnily enough that was my same train of thought, before i saw your post. Then I thought the brown leaves could be frost damage and it looked a little sparse leaved for one, so must be wrong but i do think it could well be.

In the current lockdown, the office...

94C64EE3-F089-4F58-AFBF-1798DBC81AE2.png

Indeed a very beautiful garden... :thumbup:

And indeed that's no Beer that's a Shandy!?... Actually Shandy sounds very British, is it?... Our local name for it is Snowwhity... (Beer mixed with 7up for the kids) And then Royal Club Soda introduced the same as Shandy...

But it has a pro, you can drink forever without ever having a hangover. :)

There actually exists a huge misconception around the world about beer. 90% of the people call it all beer. But there is Pilsener and Beer and it has a huge difference. Anyway, if you want a beer, go to Belgium that's one of the only countries still making it. :) Tons of it... :nailbiting:

Last edited:
I am now quite confident my plant is a rhododendron as I found a few pictures on line of poorly specimens
B6D9C24C-72BC-4025-926A-1667D8CF436B.png
B3F600C9-1CB4-4A65-83AE-62319F73221E.jpeg
M
F599B52F-6636-4668-AF77-B27394DA468C.jpeg

My plant is the centre picture, they seem quite difficult and sensitive plants to look after, it might be a challenge to get it back into shape....

Well I got the flipping thing out it’s pot,I had to use a fulcrum and strap to lever it out the pot!
Anyway I cut the root ball in half with a saw and combed out the top 6” of roots.
It is now in a slightly bigger pot sitting on top of a bag of vermiculite and surrounded with ericaceous soil, cat litter and sphagnum moss mix,
To be honest I think it is 50 - 50 if it will survive as there were hardly any white root and a lot of dead root but fingers crossed ....

To be honest I think it is 50 - 50 if it will survive as there were hardly any white root and a lot of dead root but fingers crossed
If you’re patient enough to give it 2-3 years, it may surprise ... azaleas and rhododendrons can come back from what looks to be certain death
(most just remove them after 1 year of no leafs)

Not my garden although in theory I do own one sixty five thousandth of it!
We went for a walk in the park yesterday, well in Candie Gardens actually.
The gardens were mainly planted around 200 years ago and contain some lovely specimen plants and trees.
The house and gardens were left to our island to be used by the public and maintained with our taxes.
Candie Gardens contain a very popular if not famous statue of Victor Hugo who was a friend of the original house owner and would sit and possibly write where the statue now résides .
The very last, legal duel, took place in between an avenue of trees!
I did not take many pictures but i though the red chestnut looked great, it is a red horse chestnut grafted onto a common chestnut root stock, planted 196 years ago.
I have been collecting the nuts from this tree since a was a small boy as they are huge and hard but unfortunately not fertile!
The Beatles once played in the gardens but the music hall is now our naturel history museum .

27B1D66E-BE39-4865-87ED-727F6B883F2B.jpeg
1C4E09E5-6AA8-4FC3-92E4-57302D5D2B40.jpeg
8135C52B-099C-4361-BA7D-182353A76ED7.jpeg
491B354B-314C-424F-BCCA-8F4BCCCFF14F.jpeg
E7A84358-A819-4FE7-8E40-EBAC79FFADA8.jpeg
EFCAD1B7-74A9-44B5-AA9C-319EAEF4E761.jpeg
370C91AD-C7E1-4DE8-8056-2AEBA172EC23.jpeg
879E9D03-2F0F-4AB2-AB0F-74F051D721BA.jpeg
F0DFC2D3-FD99-43BD-84C0-B94F89270DC6.jpeg
4604586C-52B9-416D-B056-67EED420C3E0.jpeg
AF15C915-1271-4D78-BC6D-D31ABEA67C86.jpeg
F0C172D7-4D0A-44EB-822B-0B4D2CF7EF22.jpeg

Rhododendron maybe?
I was going to say azalea, but maybe too big so it could well be. I know very little about plants, but I know it looked a bit like an azalea I used to own.

Just while I’m here, I love plants and gardens. My old garden offered me much enjoyment but a house move to a new build has left me with a typical ‘blank canvas’ shall we say. Anyway I have grand plans for the rear but it won’t be hugely planted. I did bring with me a 12 1/2 year old house warming gift which has sentimental value to our new home. It is a Japanese maple, i had several planted but could not bring them but this one was an easy move. It has never been repotted since I put it in this pot all those years ago. Last year it struggled and I now believe this was due to me overfeeding with a liquid fertiliser. This year it has come back beautifully and I’ll just use water this year, perhaps adding slow release capsules next season.
I took a photo of it the other day, I just love these plants:
A3699C1D-88F1-412D-AEB0-C06C906AD5A8.jpeg

I do love seeing all the stunning gardens here, and the creations of @foxfish , you are a very talented man and that bulldog sculpture is quite a thing :cool:
Cheerio,

I have been putting my staghorn fern out and hanging it on a north facing fence .
I put it back under cover at night but I think it could now stay out for the next few months?
It is growing really well, I have sprayed it with tank water a few times but I want to start fertilising it with something.
I dont know if it can use its roots to absorb nutrients or it it can only use its fronds ?
In fact I dont know if it even has any roots as I cant see any through the moss.
This picture was taken a couple of weeks back....
8C699720-E6F6-4EE7-A040-2696B7F45A34.jpeg

@Ady34 that is a lovely Acer Palmatum , they can survive for many years in the same pot but I would re pot it and cut back some foliage .
If you dont want it to grow any bigger then just use the same pot but rake out the root ball and use 50-50 cat litter soil mix.
I plant 95% of my potted plants in 100% cat litter but I am around to water every day.
Anyway you dont really want to disturb the roots at this time of year, best done in February but you can cut the foliage anytime during the growing season .
I feed my mountain maples with chicken poo, I pile in the pellets about one inch thick in March so the nutrients are washed down into the soil ready for the growth spurt in April. They I use liquid feed every two weeks until mid summer.
They hate wind, especially cold wind but are really fast growing and robust once established in the garden.
I have a couple of beautiful bonsai that I really love to stare at for long moments!

Hi all,
but I think it could now stay out for the next few months?
It should be fine.
but I want to start fertilising it with something.
I'd probably try very dilute liquid feed, and some leaf mold placed into the central cup?
I dont know if it can use its roots to absorb nutrients or it it can only use its fronds ?In fact I dont know if it even has any roots as I cant see any through the moss.
There are roots, they grow inside the sterile basal fronds. You can water it a bit more freely with it outside, I leave the hose running into the cup of mine until water runs out. It is hanging up in the glasshouse and it is two man job to move it.

cheers Darrel

@Ady34 that is a lovely Acer Palmatum , they can survive for many years in the same pot but I would re pot it and cut back some foliage .
If you dont want it to grow any bigger then just use the same pot but rake out the root ball and use 50-50 cat litter soil mix.
I plant 95% of my potted plants in 100% cat litter but I am around to water every day.
Anyway you dont really want to disturb the roots at this time of year, best done in February but you can cut the foliage anytime during the growing season .
I feed my mountain maples with chicken poo, I pile in the pellets about one inch thick in March so the nutrients are washed down into the soil ready for the growth spurt in April. They I use liquid feed every two weeks until mid summer.
They hate wind, especially cold wind but are really fast growing and robust once established in the garden.
I have a couple of beautiful bonsai that I really love to stare at for long moments!
Thanks Foxfish, I’ll take all that on board and look to do something with it early next year. Much appreciate the tips👍

Back