• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gas-exchange experiments

Have you ran the air pump with the duck weed removed to see the effect of that without the surface gas exchange restriction?

I ended up disassembling both the sensor and the aquarium, so unfortunately there is no update on the aeration effect. However, I do not expect to get very different data from my previous experiment.

I have rebuilt the sensor, and it has now a few modifications:

• I pump water inside the box with the sensors to have faster equilibration with the box air:
  • it has an additional O2 sensor now (DFRobot O2 sensor)
  • it measures the box parameters only, I am running a separate sensor for the ambient air.
  • the MH-Z19 sensor is replaced with SCD41, which has a detection range of up to 40000 ppm instead of 5000 and also measures humidity and temperature (inside the sensor)

First I wanted to also include an ammonia sensor, but if my calculations are right, the 1 ppm air ammonia threshold that these sensors have makes no sense in an aquarium. I would need a few ppm of ammonia in water to be able to detect it.

The water is now pumped from the aquarium through a pipe into a tightly sealed plastic box. The water is then dispersed on a plastic pot scrubber to facilitate the gas exchange, then it flows back to the aquarium:

sensor.jpg
1727113798296.png1727113823378.png1727113840239.png1727113857272.png
Now with the increased range, I can follow the CO2 changes in my soda-water-supplied aquariums as well. This is what a few days of data look like in this aquarium:
1727114163111.png
The shown values are calculated from the measured gas concentrations, using the following solubility data (at 25°C):

CO2_solubility = 1449 mg/l/atm
O2_solubility = 40 mg/l/atm

The dashed lines separate days, and the yellow stripes show the photoperiods (two 4-hour periods a day). During the photoperiod, the oxygen levels rise, while they decrease with turned-off lights. The equilibrium with air is about 8.4 ppm, so O2 goes above equilibrium during photosynthesis. CO2 is dosed every morning with soda water, and we can see the changes in the rate of CO2 consumption when the lights are turned up or down.
The aquarium has a lid with a tight fit which slows down the dissipation of the increased CO2 and O2.

I ended up disassembling both the sensor and the aquarium, so unfortunately there is no update on the aeration effect. However, I do not expect to get very different data from my previous experiment.

I have rebuilt the sensor, and it has now a few modifications:

• I pump water inside the box with the sensors to have faster equilibration with the box air:
  • it has an additional O2 sensor now (DFRobot O2 sensor)
  • it measures the box parameters only, I am running a separate sensor for the ambient air.
  • the MH-Z19 sensor is replaced with SCD41, which has a detection range of up to 40000 ppm instead of 5000 and also measures humidity and temperature (inside the sensor)

First I wanted to also include an ammonia sensor, but if my calculations are right, the 1 ppm air ammonia threshold that these sensors have makes no sense in an aquarium. I would need a few ppm of ammonia in water to be able to detect it.

The water is now pumped from the aquarium through a pipe into a tightly sealed plastic box. The water is then dispersed on a plastic pot scrubber to facilitate the gas exchange, then it flows back to the aquarium:

View attachment 222589
View attachment 222590View attachment 222591View attachment 222592View attachment 222593
Now with the increased range, I can follow the CO2 changes in my soda-water-supplied aquariums as well. This is what a few days of data look like in this aquarium:
View attachment 222594
The shown values are calculated from the measured gas concentrations, using the following solubility data (at 25°C):

The dashed lines separate days, and the yellow stripes show the photoperiods (two 4-hour periods a day). During the photoperiod, the oxygen levels rise, while they decrease with turned-off lights. The equilibrium with air is about 8.4 ppm, so O2 goes above equilibrium during photosynthesis. CO2 is dosed every morning with soda water, and we can see the changes in the rate of CO2 consumption when the lights are turned up or down.
The aquarium has a lid with a tight fit which slows down the dissipation of the increased CO2 and O2.

This is awesome - there is a commercial product waiting to happen here!

Hi all,
I think you are right, by the time you can <"detect ammonia">? It is already too late.

sensor.jpg

1727113798296.png
1727113823378.png
1727113840239.png
1727113857272.png

1727114163111.png

That is just fantastic.
This is awesome - there is a commercial product waiting to happen here
I genuinely think it could be, the aquarium market wouldn't be huge, but there are applications in aquaculture and waste water management.

Aquaponics might be an option? Which the big boys don't have sewed up? Dissolved oxygen is less of an issue, but it is difficult to measure CO2 in water electrochemically and this would get around that problem (in a similar way to what a drop checker does).
I am going to become a share holder!
We could definitely have a <"range of merchandise"> for the <"more discerning"> planted tank keeper. In fact I may already have an opportunity for you - <"New Eheim Canister">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Free duckweed with every pump in a bucket? 🙂
Possibly, if it really was Lemna minor? It might <"put off punters"> and you wouldn't get any repeat sales? But on the other hand "pump in a bucket" will be indestructible (and last for ever), so we wouldn't get any repeat sales any way.

It is a difficult one.

Free <"Secret Ingredient Soup"> with every purchase might be better?, But we'd need to find a different name. Continuing with the <"march towards transparency"> "plant and microbes" might be an option?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Possibly, if it really was Lemna minor? It might <"put off punters"> and you wouldn't get any repeat sales? But on the other hand "pump in a bucket" will be indestructible (and last for ever), so we wouldn't get any repeat sales any way.

It is a difficult one.

Free <"Secret Ingredient Soup"> with every purchase might be better?, But we'd need to find a different name. Continuing with the <"march towards transparency"> "plant and microbes" might be an option?
Ill think on it, but I will leave you with this.....

Delboy.PNG

Hi all,
Well, it crossed my mind for a second, but I don't think I will start a business with this sensor. I'll put together a GitHub page with instructions for those who want to build it.
Good on you, open source is the true spirit of UKAPS <"GitHub: Let’s build from here">.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Awesome thread, hax47! Your work and posting are much appreciated!

I’d really like to copy/build your sensor. I’ve done my own controlled test for a couple of months to check the effects of heavy aeration on the pH/CO2 in equal non CO2 tanks. No strange outcome: the aerated tank is always higher in pH (lower in CO2) than the non aerated one. Plant growth seemed a bit better in the non aerated one.
But what I found more interesting: the aerated tank looked much healthier in terms of algae and surface film. I did not expect this, as I assumed better plant growth means a healthier tank. My hypothesis is the new fresh tanks needed a lot of O2 for ‘maturing’, and the aerated tank provided much better oxygen levels (and surface film breakage) and thus a healthier microfauna and less ‘startup issues’.

When rerunning the experiment, I definitely want to use your sensor and continues 24/7 recording of CO2 and O2 levels. What are the costs of the sensors?

I guess you connect the sensors to a single board like a Arduino? It would be fun to connect a pH sensor as well, and calculate the alkalinity (taking in account for CO2 changes reading a bit slower than the pH).

Back