• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden Plant ID's. Post here!

Can anyone I'd this seed please?. It's from what I'm guessing is a common UK native because I have to pick them out of my dogs coat everyday and they can get stuck right in her feet causing real problems, so basically I'd like to know what it is to try and avoid them.
Sorry couldn't get a good picture so drew one (and I'm not an artist either), its basically a seed with a long hook like tail that has a corkscrew near a 90 degree flick.

20210722_185941.jpg

Thanks

another id please. I think i know but its an odd situation which is why i have my doubts. I've never seen my suspicion in person before either and i can't get within 10 meters or so of these.
Both are from the last couple of days and one is closer to shutting down for the winter than the other and i'm assuming they are the same species and they are only about 10 meters apart.

P1090370.jpg
P1090380.jpg
P1090372.jpg
P1090375.jpg

Thanks Darrel, that was the species I thought but they are in an odd place really which is why i thought i was missing something obvious. These are in our local woods near a derelict council building and surrounded by thick brambles and native trees. I guess they just had a couple left over from planting and plonked them there but they are extremely out of place.

Hi all,
These are in our local woods near a derelict council building and surrounded by thick brambles and native trees.
They sucker really freely, so it might have a been a dumped bit of root or stump. They are also pretty persistent, so they may have been there some time. Bizarrely for something that is so tenacious of life they are <"relatively expensive to buy">.

cheers Darrel

At the university we used to have a single tree of <"Tetradium (Evodia) daniellii">, and the bees loved it. It was a bit of a scruffy tree, but I've never seen another one, so I don't know if it is an untidy grower, or if it was just that tree.

Full confession, my sleep deprived brain and searching for the scientific name of the bee tree (i always remember it as evodia) with more than one tab open, i accidently read your id not as Aralia but Tetradium which is what i was guessing. I know it is an Aralia, its bang on and not sure why i didn't even think of it because it was only a couple of weeks back i walked passed one that was identical. It was in Ambleside on my way down to Windermere and i even told my, slightly disinterested brother, about its compound leaf. We veered of for a quick look at Stagshaw gardens and this is why i've spotted my mistake as i have another id query please.

P1090325.jpg

Our soil is anything but acidic so i'm not that familiar with such species but the gardens were interesting and had some very nice specimen plants even if it will look a lot nicer in the spring. I know what these two plants are but they had some truly massive leaves and thought i'd add a couple of pics. I do have big hands but they still don't make the leaves look as big as they are.

P1090257.jpg
P1090255.jpg
P1090256.jpg

I bought this as a mixed ivy in the houseplant section of homebase the other day. I know the others ones they sold under the same name are just normal outside ivy but don't know if this cultivar is fully hardy. Can anyone id it please? I got it because it looks a bit cissus like and hopefully will jungle up a spot but the label claims it should be kept at 20-35c, so I'd like to try and find its needs as I've never seen another before.

20220122_101326.jpg
20220122_101502.jpg
20220122_101513.jpg

Thank Darrel. Wild oats I think is spot on. It's a real pain in the summer for my dog.

Couple more id's please

Found this hidden when tidying a neighbours garden. They don't remember what it is but I'd like to perhaps rehabilitate it

20220303_132758.jpg
20220303_132816.jpg
20220303_132858.jpg

And this one was sprung up from somewhere, again in her garden. Sorry its a dark day but the top of the leaves are a really dark green and the underside a deep reddy purple

20220303_133029.jpg
20220303_133047.jpg

Thanks in advance

My garden plant id skills have got very rusty over the years but to me the top one looks like a leggy old Hydrangea paniculata sp.
Bottom one possibly a bird sown Cotoneaster??

Thanks. Definitely looks like the ribes. I know the more common ones but not seen one that still has leaves this time of year.

I did think cotoneaster but not seen one like this around here. The leaves feel like cotoneaster leaves if you know what I mean. I'll grow it out and see.

Hi all,
I did think cotoneaster but not seen one like this around here. The leaves feel like cotoneaster leaves if you know what I mean. I'll grow it out and see.
I'd guess it is somewhere near Cotoneaster franchetii because of the deeply incised leaves, other options would be<"Cotoneaster x watereri, C. frigidus or C. salicifolius">, but it is <"pick a name"> with most Cotoneasters.

I can't remember if C. franchetii has red undersides to the leaves in winter.

cheers Darrel

I've got another one now. I saw this on the Llandudno west shore beach but wasn't sure if it was an intentional plantation or a native. The whole stretch between Llandudno and Conway was a curious mix of sea buckthorn, hebe's and mostly goji berries (literally hundreds of yards of them, dozens or yards deep) plus these which I guessed were phlox?
I didn't think much about it until today when a friends labradorite came out of the bushes with some attached to its harness. A quick inspection discovered a decent sized clump of them. It obviously runs at the root and is just as happy in a semi woody area as it is on the beach. The flowers are more pink than they look and seem to fade to a whitish colour.

20220923_170924.jpg
20220923_170934.jpg
20220923_171148.jpg

Hi all,
I've got another one now. I saw this on the Llandudno west shore beach but wasn't sure if it was an intentional plantation or a native. The whole stretch between Llandudno and Conway was a curious mix of sea buckthorn, hebe's and mostly goji berries (literally hundreds of yards of them, dozens or yards deep) plus these which I guessed were phlox?
I didn't think much about it until today when a friends labradorite came out of the bushes with some attached to its harness. A quick inspection discovered a decent sized clump of them. It obviously runs at the root and is just as happy in a semi woody area as it is on the beach. The flowers are more pink than they look and seem to fade to a whitish
It is "Soapwort" (Saponaria officinalis), it is <"commonly naturalised">, often as the double "flora pleno". I should also have a said I like it as a late flowering garden plant.

Goji Berry (Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree) <"Lycium spp."> really like sand dunes.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back