• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From reef to aquascape

Hi @NorthernDan
moler clay(Danish pink) will not turn to mush it retains shape indefinitely. My is been in tank for over couple of years now.No break down and no dust.
Akadama(different product used in past)on other side is softer and that can potentially break down but I have not used Akadama myself.
I think the changed tha packaging in P@H
its this one now on shelves
sanicat-pink-cat-litter-30-litre-120000485-1600_466x726.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Thanks @Konsa and @dw1305. I have a pets at home 30 seconds drive from me so went and picked up a bag this afternoon. Should work great for building up a base, got a load of mesh bags to put it in to avoid it coming up.

Hi you
will need to rinse it as has quite a bit of dust Best in sieve under running water in smaller batches without stirring it till water runsvoff clear
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Pretty sure most cat little comes with deodorising agents applied to the substrate though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve actually now got the wood and rocks for my tank… nearly £400 later… oops.
8145fc1204b238c9b0e4507f3f948fb5.jpg

This is what I’m going to go with, just need to get the rocks in to raise the height of the rear pieces and get the substrates in.

It’s a shame I can’t change the background colour of the tank to a whiteish colour though.. the actual glass on this tank is tinted black.. any suggestions?

I’m really stuck between going with a C02 build or to go without. I’ve actually decided on the chihros wrgb 1200 instead of a twinstar for lighting.

In regards to c02 apart from growth speed what else am I gaining from using it?

This is the plant list, roughly.. what out of here is really going to not do well without using c02?

Vesicularia dubyana Christmas moss, Eleocharis acicularis mini TC, Microsorum pteropus 'Trident', Eleocharis parvula, Potamogeton gayi, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Cryptocoryne parva, Vesicularia ferriei Weeping moss, Bolbitis heudelotii, Cyperus helferi,Hydrocotyle verticillata, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Hellgrün
Bolbitis heudelotii, Microsorum Pteropus 'Trident', Anubias barteri v. nana Petite

I read somewhere that’s it’s best to cut all the leaves off crypts when planting them?

If I were to go c02 i was thinking of getting a c02 art duel stage and using fire extinguishers? Is this safe? And are these compatible together?

Pretty sure most cat little comes with deodorising agents applied to the substrate though?

Most cat litters are not suitable but the hard baked moler clay is suitable … yes it does carry a sent however I have never heard of this causing any problems.
I would strongly recommend washing the clay very thoroughly, this will get rid of the dust and reduce the sent considerably.
A large bucket and a garden hose is my method.

This is the plant list, roughly.. what out of here is really going to not do well without using c02?

Eleocharis acicularis mini TC ... Eleocharis parvula ... Hygrophila pinnatifida
The Pinnatifida is very unlikely to do well in low tech. Get a second opinion for the eleocharis, not sure if they are the easiest either

I read somewhere that’s it’s best to cut all the leaves off crypts when planting them?
You could do this as a ballsy move in a high tech tank, for low tech I would not.

Looking forward to seeing how the tank develops :thumbup:

Hi all,

With the Tesco cat litter it takes a long time <"to get rid of the scent">.

cheers Darrel
Yep, I got an opened bag of the Tesco stuff out of the shed from about 10 years ago and you could still smell it. A couple of rinses and it wasn't too bad any more. Thanks for the info in the link about it absorbing hardness if you rinse it in tapwater, will remember that for the future. (Think I used rainwater to rinse this time but not 100% sure)

Hi
The clay from P@H doesn't have any scent in it.
I am pretty sure its only moler clay without additional additives.It needs good rinse as there is a bit of dust tho
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
I think as it’s my first time doing this I’m going to go for lava rock to be safe, great advice for the future with cat litter to save on costs for sure!

The Pinnatifida is very unlikely to do well in low tech. Get a second opinion for the eleocharis, not sure if they are the easiest either

You could do this as a ballsy move in a high tech tank, for low tech I would not.

Looking forward to seeing how the tank develops :thumbup:

Ah okay, perhaps I’ll go high tech then. I mean the light I’m going to be using is going to be pretty strong so I imagine without the c02 the plants will have a hard time.

Any suggestions on fertilisers?

In regards to c02 apart from growth speed what else am I gaining from using it?
Adding CO2 allows you to run your light brighter which in turn makes your plants grow more compact and full. Stem plants get shorter internodes and bigger leaves, mosses look less straggly and more bushy, etc.

I mean the light I’m going to be using is going to be pretty strong so I imagine without the c02 the plants will have a hard time.
Are you using the WRGB? You can dim it as much as you need to.

Adding CO2 allows you to run your light brighter which in turn makes your plants grow more compact and full. Stem plants get shorter internodes and bigger leaves, mosses look less straggly and more bushy, etc.

Are you using the WRGB? You can dim it as much as you need to.

I will be using the wrgb yes, I’m likely going c02. Hearing how c02 makes the plants denser as well it’s certainly looking to be the route to go for for the type of tank I want.

The cheapest is to make your own using dry salts, but I think for premade stuff in the UK, TNC Complete is pretty good value for money

Tnc, ok nice, I haven’t seen that brands ferts yet, I’ll have a look.

No idea about making my own ferts though..?
I’ve got a 4 channel doser left over from my reef tank so was planning on using that.

I’ve got a 4 channel doser left over from my reef tank so was planning on using that.
Cool. Mix up your own, using the fabulous IFC calculator (link at the top menu) and use your doser to dose macro and micro frets separately. All you need will be:
for macro
KNO3
KH2PO4
MgSO4

for micro
chelated trace elements.
you can get a starter kit here:

You’ll save a ton of money and save the planet by using less packaging.

Last edited:
Ah sweet! I’ll look into that, seems like the way to go for sure!

Back