• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know about UK winters, but in my case i had a water pipe bursting open at -12°C.. It was an old pipe in the kitched ceiling i actualy never knew it was there, so it wasn't even realy outside the house. I made a new plasterboard ceiling and screwed it to the old wooden boards. Used kit to seal off the edges along side the walls. Now the old pipe in the ceiling did no longer get warm air from the house as it did from the old ceiling gaps. The first winter at minus 12 it cracked, luckely i was at home when it did and saw the water running down through my newly constructed plasterboard ceiling. :rolleyes: I can't imagine what would have happened if i wasn't at home at that time and it would have leaked for hours..

Quite risky to keep the pipes outside under pressure all winter like that, wont have much structural damage in the garden, but if you are not at home you can expect a rather scary bill from the water company.. :)

But if it worked like that for the last 30 years, you must have rather warm winters.

Good luck..

Last edited:
Cheers zo zo .for your feedback. Where I live mate very rarely does it drop below freezing. Also I believe if I went 2 feet down it still would not be deep enougth. For some people. All I know I believe I have improved on what I had there.I can only go by what has been there before. And they had no lagging on. Plus I talked to a couple of plumbers one even said if your water is flowing all the time. You should not have a problem. Because the water is moving all the Time. That's another reason over the years why I always kept my waterfall running. And never had a problem. Best fred

Yes you are correct Fred, i believe at least 3 feet (in our region 80 cm) is the standard depth for subterranian waterpipes when it comes to freezing prevention. But is the water is constantly running it needs to be extremely cold to freez that. Your pictures didn't realy show it would be constantly running water.

Do you live all the way down south in that warm gulf stream area of UK? I've heard about it, that this a rather almost subtropical small corner of the UK.. Actualy never asked if there was any thruth to the story. :)

Hi all,
Do you live all the way down south in that warm gulf stream area of UK? I've heard about it, that this a rather almost subtropical small corner of the UK.
There are a few places in the UK that get very little frost. Tresco (in the Scilly Islands) is pretty much frost-free, and home to the <"Abbey Garden">

In the SW of England the gardens at <"Trengwainton>", <"Glendurgan">, <"Coleton Fishacre">, <"Abbotsbury"> etc. and in Scotland, <"Port Logan"> and Ireland <"Glengariff"> all have little frost.

There used to be a plaque in <"St. Mawes">? harbour (or St. Just in Roseland?) saying that it was warmer in the winter than Nice.

cheers Darrel

i mean if you can live anywhere and if it gets cold enough even warm pipes freeze.. i have lived in this house for 30 years and been ok. you watch. now where approaching the subject we have give it the kiss of death. ha ha.
no seriously if it happens it happens. my fish could survive for at least 5 months. i would not be feeding them anyway. and i suppose i could shut everything down. in winter. not that i will. i never have. and if a pipe froze and burst on me.it would not do much damage as it is all out side of the house. just get a new pipe put in. and away we go. best fred

It's something you don't expect in north west region of Europe, having such soft winters.. For me it was about 6 years ago that i experienced a winter where the fish were able to stay outside all the time.. Usualy we always have some periode of at least -10, even if it's a short periode in my case with a 125 liter zinc tub above ground this is deadly for fish and many plants. And water lines ofcourse. :)

My water is 6 feet deep. Dont think I will have that problem. My last pond was 4 feet deep. And never once did my pond freeze over.like I have said in the thread before.in my back garden. In my pond. Some of them fish are 17 years old. So I believe the facts of them being ok after 17 years .proove the point. That my environment around my pond is very good. They are also used to the seasons.thats another reason I never put heating in the pond. I could have hurt the fish by changing there natural way of being used to the seasons best fred.

Just been looking at start of blog. And to now with photos. Am I glad I did not go the wooden fencing way. Would have looked shite. It all blends in with the brickwork.

I must be living in the wrong part of scotland! We have been down as low as minus 11! OK doesn't happen every winter but minus 1 to 4 common enough lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LindyI don t know if that was ment for me the quote of living in Scotland. If so. I do not live in Scotland. I come from hull. In England. Lot warmer down there. I work offshore. On the oil rigs. So maybe you have read the Scotland bit there. And thought I lived in Scotland. I work from Aberdeen. What part of Scotland do you live for it to be minus 11. Very rarely does hull go to below freezing. Sometimes has but rare. All the best Fred

Plants a week ago
IMG-20160630-WA0002.jpg
notice the bulrushes and irises are now shooting up. Going good.
IMG-20160708-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160708-WA0000.jpg

Look how clear that water is. Shows I have picked the right setup.if you look hard you can see the other window. Brill. Thats 4 meters distance. With over 40 fish and now five weeks.over the moon.

Cheers greenfinger2. Been a pleasure mate.made a few mistakes along the way. No ones perfect. Slowly rectifying them as I go along. Main thing was about getting the plants and fish into the pond. I lost one fish to stress. Hurt me losing it. It was five years old. I think. But the rest came through it.okay. so I aint done to bad. And there loving there new home.flying about. And swimming against the currents. I have created with tangible returns. Good exercise for them. I never had that in last pond. Every week it will get swapped about so they swim the other way.plus it moves any crud. That is on that side of pond. Yes mate a very good system and setup. All the best fred

Troi zozo osullivan mike 2. Thanks alot. Well worthwhile building this. Plants are shooting up fast now. Ferns as well. Get in there. And they are one and half feet down.there now inches from top. Still aint out the water yet. So still arnt there yet. Fingers crossed. Any tips on fish safe food for them ferns. None of my plants are in soil or clay. There just in pebble stones. And living of the pond neutrants for food.aint doing to bad you can see that in photos though.best fred

Sorry Fred, thought you lived in Aberdeen. I'm in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back