• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
3200 lts there of media. Which is maximumum for a nexus 320. Plus my draco rotary drum.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I left the pond for a week with uv switched off
Then treat again with mg&f.
Reason for this for the eggs.
Scraped 3x fish. Could nt find anything on the microscope. So turned uv back on and did 20% water change. Got a nitrite spike. Which is good. As it shows my bio is working.
Water parameters are back to normal.
So all good

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Replaced a ball valve and glue welded some pressure pipe.
1st picture old valve
2nd picture new valve
Fred
0188de7017632c05ffb842d103dacaf4.jpg
b0dfb706a6dbf7e091bfd4fa3ecd56f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This gin rin tancho. That was a tancho. But developed more red is now not a tancho

A tancho only has a red spot on its head.
So looks like Japanese flag.

So now it is just a gin rin koi.

I still like the fish but it was not as I bought it.
It was bought as a tancho.

Also it was in my QT. Lost some of its dorsal fin. After a bout of skin flukes
For 4 weeks.

Treatment was trim down dorsal fin with scissors
While put to sleep. And anti bac applied
Then I dabbled it with iodine.
Then put it in the QT tank with 0.3 % salt
Temperature ramped up to 25c.
To speed healing up.
Now fixed and back in the pond.
Fred
dd41cac06d59f216e52b43e502038adf.jpg
985ac3e823cf34429d82ee18accf7a4a.jpg

Looking great Fred, thanks for posting and keeping us up to date :)
Ok Tim. Anytime mate.
The pond has developed as I thought it would.
Just took time and patience mate. Nice and mature now mate.
The plants have done a great job on the nitrate and phosphate side of things.
And I can go now and only test the water parameters 2 weekly now.
Trust it all now.
The fish let me know if something is wrong in there.
Fred

Looking good Fred as usual. What are the two grey fish in the grow out system?
Hi Mort. Hope your well. The two grey fish
Have a slight brown colours on them mate.
So there ochibas koi.
Fred

Update cleaning tank out qt and grow on.
Also water butts media clean up for winter
Plus some photo s of the grow on fish bought at 3 inch. Some now 8 inch
c87743672234e810bc0f4798a3f492b1.jpg
f57e2965bb127a303811962bf4ab32cc.jpg
009229dc8d2106a81885edff069882b0.jpg
4ebc53006890bedfce53ee3d197fd06d.jpg

Tank clean out qt and grow on
Grating out and reput dome on bd
ST for dechlorinator on tank top up fill
Filling back up after tank clean up
fb534365c550358d7fbc7a9c9befd791.jpg
a1f27f2f2ecc94cf8b9da3aeba6549ca.jpg
53604fa703798cb20f7184dbd5eee116.jpg
5a7f5e042b011238a73804c65904a72c.jpg

Hi Fred

Im enjoying catching up with this project, you must have been dreaming this for a while? what an achievement!

Can you explain how you went about deciding specs for the viewing windows? I saw that you had used glass not acrylic but how did you arrive at the thickness required and securing/fixing the frame into a cavity wall.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Fred

Im enjoying catching up with this project, you must have been dreaming this for a while? what an achievement!

Can you explain how you went about deciding specs for the viewing windows? I saw that you had used glass not acrylic but how did you arrive at the thickness required and securing/fixing the frame into a cavity wall.

Cheers

Ian
Hi ian. I was planning the pond for about 2 years. Plus the garden build. IE walls summer house. Indian stone floor. Filter house. I planned on one window. But during the build of the pond. I was sat where my summer house is. And thought you can t see the fish from here. So decided to put an infinity window in there
So you could look across the pond with the gap at the top of the window. With it being 3 sided window.
The four sided window was bought from here
https://www.atlanticagardens.com/koipondwindow

Photo of frame if you blow the photo up
You can see lugs at the top. There is one in centre of frame at top and bottom. You put a steel rod through the lugs into the brick work cemented in.
Also there is a lip on the frame. In my case if you look at my build. With the brick coping stones on the top layer. This also makes it a stronger build for the window.
That was the four sided window.

The infinity window was screwed into the brick work. Then rendered over with cement. Also we used expanding foam to fill any gaps. Then there is the fiber glassing which is also part of the strength.

On the glass strength side of things I just went to koi pond sites and read up on what others used as in thickness. My glass is like a double glazing heat treated.
Hope this helps
Fred

f027fae014b9f258fc4120d64b760b3a.jpg

Regarding thickness, the calculation is about the same formula as for aquarium build. The main important value is the height of the glass and the safety factor you wish to have it. You can calculate an aquarium in your desired pond size or depth you want the window in. Then you get a result in glass thickness up to the water pressure it requires to hold.

Take a look here
http://theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium/

Example if you want a window from the top and 60cm tall then fill in your pond dimensions with a 60cm depth.
The standard aquarium safety factor is 2.5, make that 4 and it about doubles the thickness. You can make the aquarium 5 metres long and 5 metres wide but the required thickness doesn't change. No matter the total volume the water pressure 60cm down is always equal to 0.6 metre water column is 0.06 bar pressure. Than about 15mm glass with safety factor 4 is considered very safe.

Do you want it 20cm below the rim and 60cm tall you need to use the total water column depth to calculate it. 80cm because that's the pressure (0.8m Water Column = 0.08 bar) the glass needs to hold. That would be 20mm glass thickness.

Regarding thickness, the calculation is about the same formula as for aquarium build. The main important value is the height of the glass and the safety factor you wish to have it. You can calculate an aquarium in your desired pond size or depth you want the window in. Then you get a result in glass thickness up to the water pressure it requires to hold.

Take a look here
http://theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium/

Example if you want a window from the top and 60cm tall then fill in your pond dimensions with a 60cm depth.
The standard aquarium safety factor is 2.5, make that 4 and it about doubles the thickness. You can make the aquarium 5 metres long and 5 metres wide but the required thickness doesn't change. No matter the total volume the water pressure 60cm down is always equal to 0.6 metre water column is 0.06 bar pressure. Than about 15mm glass with safety factor 4 is considered very safe.

Do you want it 20cm below the rim and 60cm tall you need to use the total water column depth to calculate it. 80cm because that's the pressure (0.8m Water Column = 0.08 bar) the glass needs to hold. That would be 20mm glass thickness.
Nice one zozo. If I remember correctly. My glass window is 22mm thick. Heat treated laminated glass.

Heat treated laminated glass

I think all laminated glass is heat-treated, only to be able to laminate it. :) I guess, outdoor there are other safety factors to reckon with that do not really apply indoors. Such as kids possibly playing baseball in the garden. Therefore an indoor aquarium is not made from laminated glass. All tho in public buildings it might be an insurance obligation. Because it's a safety glass that if it breaks it doesn't shatter into big pieces of sharp glass flying around. It shatters into small pieces like a car windshield should do.

I reckon a company advising, selling and installing pond windows outdoor are obliged better to use safety glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back