• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First effort - a rod for my back!

The Amanos have wasted no time, 24 hours in and one has moulted, maybe two, two are feeding and being generally nonchalant and one is missing in action.
I am a bit concerned theres not much substrate as they clearly love the sand but then again the algae is on my wood and plants
View attachment 164579View attachment 164580

Just so you know, those aren't Amano shrimp. They're bamboo shrimp. Very different species.

Thanks I did wonder about their stripes, am I in for a nasty surprise?

Last edited:
Thanks, a bit peeved but that's Ebay for you, looking fwd to when we can go back to a shop and say ‘I want that one’!. Still, they are pretty cool and have captured the family's attention more than any fish I’ve had! Cheers

Last edited:
You keep making progress and keeps getting better and better. Really like what you have done with it. How tall is the tank?
Hi Paul,
Thanks, sorry I missed this, the tank is 71 wide and 65 tall (including frame).Need long arms - which mine aren't, I need to stand on the sofa above and reach down....:D

Blimey, been a while since I updated this. It's actually all been really good! The tank seems to me to have settled and reached some kind of ecological balance with algae at an acceptable level and continuing good water quality, healthy livestock and plants that are growing pretty well by my standards (I have killed all plants pretty quickly in the past...). The oak has settled too, aided perhaps by more grazers it seems to stay clean and it's surface is less friable and algae-prone. The leaf litter is great, I just throw in a handful of pre-soaked oak or beech leaves and let them rot in the tank, they look natural and provide cover and feeding surfaces.

Plant wise the only addition is a bulb for a lily, Nymphaea stellata that despite appearances has finally sprouted. I intend to grow the leaves to the surface just to see what it's like and if it'll flower. The other plants are all fine, 5ml of TNC complete daily has made a big difference IMO. I'm really chuffed with the Java moss on the oak (Pic below somewhere), this is the sort of natural look I wanted when I started off and it's remarkable that the moss you see here has grown from a couple of tiny 5mm strands, all that was left after the initial melt back when I set the tank up. Lesson for me is be patient! The Vallis has finally got a chance to grow after I fitted a spraybar. Juwel in their wisdom do not offer one so the Vallis was being battered to a pulp by the powerhead so I bought a Fluval bar and plumbed it in, then drilled the holes out to reduce the flow. The Frogbit is rampant and unfortunately I have lost the battle with duckweed imported with fish. In the hoto I have just scooped out some Frogbit and cut the roots on the rest to get the flow going again, a tricky balance, next time I might just remove ore and leave the roots on the remainder alone.

Livestock is complete as of today. On the Invert front the 5 free bamboo shrimps that I received when I ordered Amanos seem to be thriving, they forage on the bottom and fan in equal measure and I turkey baste some baby shrimp food at them from time to time. I'd rather have two than five but hey. I added a couple of tiny cuttle bones and my GH is about 3, hopefully with dietary calcium all will continue OK, they are moulting OK just now. After complaining to the bamboo vendor I eventually got 6 Amanos for free, and these guys are a hoot - they are really cheeky food thieves and great to watch although I have no idea how many I have now, at least 3, probably more. Oh and I added some really cool red ramshorn snails.

As of today after much deliberation I bought the last fish at my LFS consisting of a pair of Apistos - maybe borelli, maybe not and four honey gourami, that might be 1 male and 3 females. I did want hatchet fish on one level but the jumping put me off and the Gourami are attractive, characterful wee souls with good colour (just from the wrong continent)! Add that to the 16 neons and the 2 geriatric corys on retirement leave and the stocking is done.

Cheers
Dave

View.JPG

Moss.JPG

Crypt.JPG

Amano.JPG

A bit of a rescape. I liked my layout but reading about design I realised there was no clear water front to back and introducing this would add depth. In theory!
in area 1 i removed the swords providing open water, adding a low wooden arch with Microsorum windelov attached. On the exposed substrate i planted two tubs of H tenellum, deciding to not tease them out as this never works for me, but planting whole pots and hoping it’ll spread in time. In Area 2 I cut down the oak by two thirds to open up the corner and planted Myrophyllum mattogrossense and Schismatoglottis prietoi. In Area 3 the upright wood was removed entirel and swords from the middle replanted with more Scismatoglottis and my Stellata bulb. I’m pleased overall, some detail yet to do but the worst of the turbid mess has gone and I’ve achieved the depth I was looking for.
its kind of a reverse to the norm, there is a ridge of crypts and rocks at the front dipping to a ‘lawn’ at tge back! Fish and shrimp seem happy so that's a bonus...

Attachments

• 2D099520-57D1-4309-966D-20E8D150BA38.jpeg
    2D099520-57D1-4309-966D-20E8D150BA38.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 84B074A5-8F80-45BA-BE32-83537E7C326A.jpeg
    84B074A5-8F80-45BA-BE32-83537E7C326A.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 162
a couple more pics, I like the left hand mossy wood and new plants and the arch/stick in the open water/middle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Some evolution. The oak’d had its day, it was rotting in the substrate and a magnet for my BBA outbreak. I was dreading removing it because it has a chopping board screwed to the base buried in Tropica soil so the mushroom cloud was gonna be big. It went OK, and I found a nice bit of wood in my store to replace it with. Lots of vegetation has gone too either with BBA or to make some space for new ones. So far so OK, the wood is not floating, I like the shape and the inmates have survived. Lots of water changes to keep the particulates down, or at least reduce them a bit.

Old
BAA3725D-3160-44E9-BBE7-C1C4C80ED919.jpeg

New
A6C11088-9720-4F77-91EE-F30591ABD78C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1511246B-B772-4772-8D6E-14ADDBC45444.jpeg
    1511246B-B772-4772-8D6E-14ADDBC45444.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Well at least theres one happy punter. Unlike the old stuff the new wood is not tall enough to be in the flow from the spraybar so I’ve set up an Aquael circulator to point at the top of it 😀 You can see the water diffuser top left

Attachments

• 94F8380F-A7AD-4DB5-BCB8-E85F5F63569D.jpeg
    94F8380F-A7AD-4DB5-BCB8-E85F5F63569D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 134
Starting to settle, doing bits and bobs each day to rescape the detail, still removing small amounts of BBA, the epiphytes have taken a real hammering, some were too far gone to keep, all my Buce were consumed and much of the Anubis, quite a downer, but on the bright side the newly planted Altanathera has started growing.
Water is still full of particulates, hoping it will clear soon. Someone on here gave me good advice when I was just starting this tank a year ago to keep it simple given I work away half the time; should’ve taken it! 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Coming up to 2 years since I set this low tech up, had a few setbacks and learnings aplenty but basically it’s still going and I still have (some) plants which is definitely an improvement on past form! Had many of the usual blights, BBA was a notable plant disaster (although I now deliberately keep some on rocks) and a bacterial infection that killed most of my neons and prized Apisto. It could do with a few more plants now I think, the robust ones have survived like Echinodorous and crypts and I remain the biggest fan of Java ferns - fabulous all rounder! Hope you’re all well. Cheers!
D5EAFA93-F026-4E9A-A184-5902AB3B0BCD.jpeg

The BBA I had about a year ago really trashed the original design as so many plants were wiped out and much of the original wood was beyond saving or had simply become rotten with time. I also lost a lot of neons to NT disease and my Apistos succumbed too.
It’s been a slow road back and for months I was pretty despondent about the tank and considered starting afresh. In the end following some good advice on plants here and the introduction of some new fish I’ve found my aquarium mojo again! Still a way to go but I’m enjoying it again.
I think there’s a lot to be said for trying to salvage and improve a mature set up. A fresh start is tempting because it all looks so new and clean but then the inevitable setbacks of a maturing tank are largely absent from a stable, mature one and there is no doubt it is more akin to nature with its plethora of bugs and algae, which must benefit the fish and shrimp? That’s my theory anyway!

Attachments

• D8DE0B07-C5E1-4DA4-A9EB-5B44FA4AF079.jpeg
    D8DE0B07-C5E1-4DA4-A9EB-5B44FA4AF079.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 80
Hi all,
I think there’s a lot to be said for trying to salvage and improve a mature set up. A fresh start is tempting because it all looks so new and clean but then the inevitable setbacks of a maturing tank are largely absent from a stable, mature one and there is no doubt it is more akin to nature with its plethora of bugs and algae, which must benefit the fish and shrimp?
I think that, basically <"good things come to those who wait">. Have a look at <"Seasoned Tank Time"> and Stephan Tanner also talks about stability in <"Aquarium biofiltration">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks, yeah interesting read, phosphate in particular. I hope to continue to improve it over the coming months

Back