• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Quadricostatus

Clive,
Said and done!

dbdkj.jpg

I come up with an idea to improve the Co2 suction.

This aquarium will not beat me.. is not more stubborn than me ..

Many thanks.

I will return with news.

Good stuff mate. Now perform another pH profile check if you have the time. Record the values, along with the bubble rate being used (if you have a bubble counter) so that you can later compare it to any other changes that you make. This will tell you which configuration produces the best gas dissolution efficiency. As mentioned previously and in other threads, if you have the filter stuffed with media then you can remove some in order to improve the filter throughput. If you have access to a powerhead, even a small one, you can place it parallel to the lily pipe outlet to improve flow across the tank.

Cheers,

Paulo,
Are they suffering CO2 poisoning? Are they alive? Have you done a large water change? Are you measuring the pH changes. It's hard to know what to think with so little information. The behavior may have nothing to do with CO2 or it may have everything to do with CO2.

Cheers,

Clive,
Yes they were. I turned off the co2 and made a bit water change. No one dies. And they get back to normal.

Even after 6 hours the co2 went off, the filter sometimes pumped bubbles from the outflow and make little noise (like dripping tap). I had to open it and introduce water from the aquarium to filled it at the top, close ti, and then suck with my mouse from the outflow to "bleed" him. After this it´s ok. This morning no noise come from the filter and no bubbles from the outflow. All normal in the tank.
So i put the Diffuser back to it´s position.

I guest i find the answer i was looking in a description of yourselve from 2010:

"For now, the best we can do is to turn the gas on much earlier than we need to, say 2 hours before lights on. In this way the peak equilibrium concentration can be reached just at lights on, after which time evaporation + plant uptake will keep the levels from rising. Then you can turn the solenoid off a few hours before lights off. It's not necessary to run the gas until exactly lights off. The critical time for CO2 is at lights on and the first few hours thereafter. This is when tanks are made or broken. It's OK if the concentration starts to fall in the second half of the photoperiod. In this way, if you turn the gas off much earlier, you lower the concentration during the dark and early morning periods and thereby reduce the stress on the fauna."

Acording to this I think that 4 hours should be more than enough with the amount of the injection i have. Yesterday, the co2 starts two hours earlier than the lights and i get the maximum input as the lights went on (PH drop from 7.6 to 6.8 / 6.6).
Than as i mentioned before, because of the fish i had to shut of Co2 two hours after the lights went on.. but you know? The drop cheker was still yellow at the end of the photoperiod.! 4 hours after.

So i assume i can work with a 4 hour injection or i can reduce just a bit and have the Co2 working for 6 hours instead 8.
Bottomline: The Co2 doens´t have to be pumping gaz as much time as the lights are on.
This is what i conclude.

And i guess i pumped those 30 ppm or more. But i can´t pump for 8 hours long...
Other thing: My plants do "pearling" a couple of hours after the light went on. Everyday!

Yes mate, that's right. CO2 injection is an art form, so you have to constantly fiddle with timing and injection rates to keep the tank stress free. Sounds like you have it figured out.

Cheers,

Good morning,

Just to say that the problem with this "Quadricostatus" is solved. She´s getting better now and recovering at full speed.

I raised the light precisely 15 cm. It was right at the top of the water and of course by this way i was demanding too much from the tank that it couldn´t support or give..

With this alteration i´m even dosing less Co2 then before cause the demanding is not so necessary as it was before, and still have the drop in a clear green , and the PH stills drop from 7.6 to 6.8 :) Now i have my bubble counter in a 2/3 bubbles per second. Something i never achieved before..

I get to this conclusion of the ligth cause meanwhile i was strugling with this issue, I was also making experiences in the tank.
I plant runners with leaves around the tank in different locations and i was observing reactions. The one under the trunk and other under the shadow made by the "Rotala" were the ones looking cooler receiving less light.

Other thing.. i changed the lights position. Put the 4000 K in the back and 6500 in the front.

Conclusion: Less Light to Echinodorus Quadricostatus.

best compliments.

Back