• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Quadricostatus

Paulo Soares

Good Afternoon

I´m having an issue with this plant that i share with you to see if we can come up with a solution. She grows a lot but the leaves start to be transparent and brown spots. (?)

SETUP:

Light: Odyssea Dual Pro T5HO Series 90/120, 2x 39W (Bulbs of 6500 K frontal, and 8000 K in the back)
Photoperiod of 8 hours.
16 Litres of Tropica Substrate "Tropica Aquarium Soil"

EI - Estimative Index Fertilization

Recipe:
KNO3 - 26.09 gr
KH2PO4 - 4.3 gr.
Kcl - 8.87 gr.

10 ML a day of Macros and Micros.
Tests:
FE - 2 PPM
NO3 - 30 PPM
PO4 - 2 PPM
PH = 7
KH = 8
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0

CO2 - 24/25 PPM

Does it probably need CA(No3) and or MG(so4)?

Photos:

j8e79e.jpg

9fnrza.jpg

29x9gzq.jpg

Looks like Mg deficiency.

You claim you are dosing EI, but you are not :confused: You are not dosing MgSO4 ?????

Is it possible that your CO2 may also be low if you are using the charts to get the above PPM figure. You have a big bio load in the tank (seen in Journal) which can affect the pH and skew the chart results.

No IAN i´m not. This receip was recomend by a friend and i follow.. cause i´m not a good reader of Ei methods.
So you recomend to dose MGSo4 but can you guide me in what quantity acording to the other salts i allready dose?

many thanks.

Yes i can upgrade the co2. A friend told me to push it until i see the fish in the upper level of the water (that is the sign of excesss) and then reduce a bit.
Do you think i should do it?

Looks like its growing faster than it can get nutrients( ferts, co2) so its feeding on itself...

yes indeed it grows a lot.. everyweek i cut a lot of runners. But in deficiency. And still this is my fisrt tank without GSA, BBA and those tricky algae. never had those until now.

Ca is also needed for plants but most domestic water has sufficient for plant needs. However if you are using RO, you must harden it up to Ca (and Mg) before use.

Most people use this recipe.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits/ei-starter-kit.html

This has K - Mg ration of 4 spoons to 6 spoons converting to your weights Mg becomes 26 * 6/4 -> 39gr.

It is much easier to work in teaspoons, as perfectly accurate enough. A teaspoon is about 6gr.

So your dosing becomes (I assume you are mixing in 500ml water ?).
KNO3 - 4 tsp
KH2PO4 - 1tsp.
MgSO4 - 6 tsp

You can probably drop the KCl.

Note that presence of Cl can adversely affect any test kit readings of tank water, so much so any reading is liable to be hopeless.

I notice also you have a lot of light (78W) over only 96litres, so that's 25US Gals -> 3Watts per gallon so serious high level lighting. Also on 8 hours again serious high level. You will need you CO2 and flow spot on if you are not to suffer algae and plant health issues.

Ian,
Many many thanks for this.
I don´t have Cl at all. My domestic water (period reports form the city hall) presents a total amount of CA of about 25 Mg / liter. But this you know.. is it reliable? I don´t think so.
Yes i make a 500 ml solution. Some friends also told me before to forget about the KCl. You confirm.

I also i think then i made wrong calculations in the light.. cause i thougth i have 0.8W per liter. I divide 78w by the 96 liters. :(

I have pretty good flow. In my last tank i had that issue so that now i did incresase it.

´m gona order the spoons from the website "plantfood uk".
I got 6 long handled spoons for £2 from a hardware store and leave them in the bags of salts, so one less thing to be hunting around for when mixing up ferts.

You Ca level is fine. Mine is 109mg/l.

Hello Tmiravent,

I´ve got two videos. This one first is before i trim the plants, taking off those most afected. So the aquarium now is not as it shows on this video.

But here you can see the flow of the water i can put in it. At this moment i reduce the flow a litlle bit. But in case i can bring the flow again as it shows here.

Don´t mind of the values i speak about the PH and KH in this video cause this was before i made the last changes. As i reduce the flow and change the ei i now have the values i mentioned in the begining of the post.

But i´m gonna make a new video just right now

This was a video i made for BArr Report that wasn´t published there..

I got 6 long handled spoons for £2 from a hardware store and leave them in the bags of salts, so one less thing to be hunting around for when mixing up ferts.

I can buy it to you. no big deal. ;)

A video taken right now.

The difusor is in a position that i saw as a suggestion of a member of thid forum Cegg4048 to another member. I thought thid was a good idea. But i can put it back to ist´s place before.

Back